performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 03-15-09, 06:50 PM   #1
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot scot nery promo vid crit

Hey, trying to get corporate gigs for edgier young corporations. My slant is fresh, uninhibited and hilarious.

please gimme feedback
Old 03-15-09, 10:37 PM   #2
Jim
Your Host

I like the visuals and graphics. I get what you're about. I SEE edgy and uninhibited. However, the violin was a bit repetitive and I don't think the audio went well with the image you are trying to portray. You need edgier, upbeat, funky music. And a sexy female voiceover.
Old 03-15-09, 11:26 PM   #3
Dan Holzman

Default Scot's promo video

I agree with Jim. I also think the copy being read(especially in the begining)is a little clunky. I had to listen to it a couple of times because it just felt off to me(call me if you want specific examples)

Your voice is at a much lower volume then the voiceover, I certainly had trouble hearing you, but no problem hearing the voiceover guy. To me this made you seem like a secondary character in your own video.

I didn't care for the drop montage with the buckets, I didn't think it was funny, just a little sloppy looking.

The ending line seemed to lack energy, and was kind of a let down. I guess it was supposed to be quirky, but I am not personally a big fan of quirky.

I would have liked to have heard more of your dialogue, and seen a couple of the bits expanded a bit because they seemed funny, but went by so quick I wasn't quite sure if someone not familier with your work would know what was happening.

Best of luck to you,
Dan
Old 03-15-09, 11:38 PM   #4
Katiedid

I dig the act. If you came to town, based on what I've seen, I would go see you. I might even pay for it. ^_^

Although, I second Jim's pitch of a female voice over. Chicks are just sexier sounding & sex sells. However, I kinda like the violin. Not to say that other music couldn't be better. On seeing it a 3rd time I notice that there isn't something auditory engaging me the whole time. I think there could be less of a gap between when the music stops & when you start talking or between the joke & the announcer. Maybe play some music the whole time, kinda light in the background?

P.S. I'm kinda stoned right now, I'll take another look when I'm more sober, but from here, its an awesome promo.

Edited to add: I agree with dan, drop the drop montage. Also, more of your & jokes & expand the bits a bit.
Katiedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 12:09 AM   #5
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

I like the music. I could use more fine tuning in the editing. Changing music to something more modern and edgy half way through might be an idea (?).... but I've seen enough awesome scenes in movies placed over classical scores like that to make an association to something potentially really f'n cool.

"freedom is an eagle clutching wheat and arrows" line is muddy cuz some douche in the audience is making noise. You should go back in time and kill that guy.

Dude, I like it, I even like the dude voiceover. Girls are sexy and uninhibited, but not hilarious and fresh. (JK). Just smooth it out a bit more.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com

Last edited by Evan Young; 03-16-09 at 12:42 AM.
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 01:23 AM   #6
Juggalicious

Send a message via AIM to Juggalicious

I'd like to see more of your actual show and less of that voice over guy - the voice over guy adds a nice polish to the video - but by the end I'm wondering who that awesome voice over guy is instead of how can I book you.

the graphics are great too

I dunno about the music. it confuses people I think. why is this young and edgy guy got motzarty fart music playing?

the video feels like its 6 or 7 minutes long when its actually only 2.5

i'd recommend adding in a longer segment of your show and cutting out some of the voiceovers or montages. the VO is great for the first 30 seconds - I think right there - boom cut to a 30 second clip (at least) of you being "playful" - the shot of you screaming "yeahhh" at about 44 seconds seems like the kind of playful moment you are speaking about

none of your tricks are that difficult - the strongest part of your act is your comedy - which isn't getting highlighted in the video nearly enough. - the proof is in all your pull-quotes... they are all saying you are hilarious - no one mentions how amazing it was that you caught a bucket on your head.

i agree with whoever said the bucket stuff was unnecessary.... maybe if you added in some of the comedy moments leading up to it - making the viewer really want you catch the bucket on your head..... just like in the live show - i'm sure if you whipped out the bucket tossed it in the air and caught it on your head no one would care without the build up

i'm watching the video over and over again - and it kind of seems like the announcer says something and makes a really cool point of why you are unique - but then the footage doesnt back it up - it goes to a montage-esque thing and then its back to the announcer guy making another awesome point which will not be backed up with actual show footage.
i.e.
1st "every moment is full of surprises and playful personality"
like what?
2nd "scot nery is like emeril meets johnny knoxville, every show is custom"
I want to see him be like that.
3rd "scot nery has performed all over the world"
really - it seems like he only performs on this one stage?
4th "scot nery is the most entertaining person ever"
what's entertaining about catching a bucket on your head?
..... you get the idea.

there is a clip at 2:07 - a side view of you catching the pancake - the quality isnt nearly as good as the other clips <- maybe cover it up by making it black and white and adding in some "cool looking" record graphic in the corner

to get REALLY nit-picky - if you can add in a few clips of you doing a show somewhere with a drastically different background - some place really bright and well lit - to make it seem like you're performing all over the place all the time. - that would rock

add in clips from your movie appearances. add in the clip of you bouncing the nail on the hammer. add in some clips of you interacting with that dummy drunk guy from vegas. add in all that secret footage I know you have.

this video seems more like a promo for your awesome skills at editing together a slick looking video with good graphics / and quality sound - less like a promo video for your super hilarious - original act.

hey look i can add smilies:

I have new juggling clubs.

Last edited by Juggalicious; 03-16-09 at 01:26 AM.
Juggalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 12:27 AM   #7
aronthejuggler

Being a young edgy person myself, I definitely agree with the female voice and the change in music. The music with the voice almost sounds like a commercial for Yo Yo Ma's new CD release.
Old 03-19-09, 09:30 PM   #8
scot

USA

Hey, thanks to everyone. You'll see just about every comment reflected in the new video.

I wish I had better footage, but I need to just get it done right now.

I picked the music because I don't want to look like a total outlaw. I am peculiarly edgy, but still focused on being good at what I do. I don't want people thinking that I won't show up or something. I wanted a different style of music than in any of my peers' videos because I am different.

I am using a man for voice over because I feel like it gives a more authoritative confident feel.

Sorry I destroyed the old version.

Thanks again for your feedback....

Last edited by scot; 03-19-09 at 09:34 PM.
scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 11:53 PM   #9
Jim
Your Host

OK. I say the flow of the video has definitely improved. The music doesn't feel nearly as repetitive as before. The voice over is working with the visuals now.

Nice improvement.

My only thing is... I don't see corporate.
Old 03-20-09, 12:51 AM   #10
Dan Holzman

Default a lot better

Scot,
The new version is a definite improvement. I don't see how it can get much better using the footage you have. Once again I have to agree with Jim(he must be wise beyond his years)I see you as a college entertainer, not a corporate one.
Dan
Old 03-20-09, 01:22 AM   #11
Evan Young

Microsoft payed these guys an obscene amount of money to play at the launch of the new x box. I would consider that a corporate gig, and I don't think that any of what we consider "corporate" performers would be a contender for that gig.
I think Scot is trying to catch the corporate gigs that aren't interested in a corporate performer. I believe it is probably a market that does exist.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Old 03-20-09, 03:10 AM   #12
scot

I don't care if I am a college performer. As long as corporations keep hiring me and colleges don't.

Last edited by scot; 03-20-09 at 03:15 AM.
scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 03:52 AM   #13
Isabella

I like the visual placement of the captions - it looks really sophisticated to have your body off center in the frame and the captions filling the frame.

I suspect you'll get plenty of corporate, if you are submitting it with the right accompanying email - we only have outdoor promo footage right now, but we do a fair amount of corporates with that and some nice indoor pictures.

It looks like this would go nicely with a classy black and white headshot or 3/4 shot that sells you as "corporate" while the video sells you as "not the guy you had the last three years."

I think I want that to be your slogan - "not last year's juggler".
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 08:54 AM   #14
Dan Holzman

I went to the webite Evan mentioned. I thought it was funny that the all the dates listed for their upcoming performances were college shows.
A high energy music act with a lot of visual appeal sounds like a perfect fit to launch a new video game system, and I can think of quite a few corporate acts that fit that description. That one example doesn't do much to change my mind about the nature of Scot's appeal. Lucky for Scot that most corporate bookers love comedy jugglers more then they do music acts, and the economy makes it so easy for them to book variety acts in today's entertainment market.
I'm sure that Scot and Evan have worked hundreds of corporate dates, and would have a better grasp of what would work in that market then I would. I gracefully bow out of the trying to help Scot Nery game, and yield to the wisdom of those who have much more experience then I do.
Dan
Old 03-20-09, 10:08 AM   #15
Evan Young

Recycled percussion is a college act, and that sort of my point. There is probably room in the corporate market for a different approach. I do respect your opinion and experience, a lot! But I want to test Scots approach to try and get a different flavor of corporate.
I know there are small corporations out there with young staffs and a lot of money; and they might be looking for something more like a college act.... they would hire the stand up comic they saw at the club that one time, but Scot looks more unique....

Dan, please don't stop posting, I really look up to you.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Old 03-20-09, 07:48 PM   #16
scot

Dan, you sure are an emotional guy. You should probably stay out of my life because I'm going to keep breaking your heart.

Someone give him a hug.
Old 03-21-09, 10:07 AM   #17
Dan Holzman

Default Is it my fault I care too much?

Scot,
Please don't shut me out of your life. The times we have spent together are the highlights of my otherwise dim and colorless existence. I guess my problems stem from the fact that my daddy didn't love me enough, please don't make the same mistake he did. There's still time for us to repair our relationship, and take it to the next level from total indifference to mild toleration.

Watching you grow as an artist, and seeing you rise to the level of Bratz cameos and headlining open mike nights has left me gaping in awe at your magnificence, and to see how you've gone from from creating four original routines to four and a half in only the space of five or six years has left me spellbound and amazed at the depths of your creative deepness. Most importantly being a juggler and understanding how much time and effort you must have put into your craft to improve your skills so much in that same period of time humbles me, and inspires me to reach for the stars, but not touch them because the are made of some sort of burning billowy matter.

Never forget Scot that I am like a tame chimpanzee, and even though you can dress my up in a funny hat and an adult diaper I am much more dangerous then I appear, so
to try to hug me, especially when I am in a cranky mood like I was when I wrote my previous post could be more dangerous then you could possibly imagine.

Now, to end this post on a humorous note, let me finish by Quoting the great Sir Ralph Puke " Tis better to have loved and lost, then sit naked on an anthill with honey on your butt.
With fondess, and hope that you reach the great potential I know you have inside you,
Dan

Last edited by Dan Holzman; 03-21-09 at 10:12 AM.
Dan Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 12:10 PM   #18
Jim
Your Host

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Holzman View Post
Watching you grow as an artist, and seeing you rise to the level of Bratz cameos and headlining open mike nights has left me gaping in awe at your magnificence, and to see how you've gone from from creating four original routines to four and a half in only the space of five or six years has left me spellbound and amazed at the depths of your creative deepness. Most importantly being a juggler and understanding how much time and effort you must have put into your craft to improve your skills so much in that same period of time humbles me, and inspires me to reach for the stars, but not touch them because the are made of some sort of burning billowy matter.
Well that might just be the best comeback I've read on performers.net.
Old 03-21-09, 12:21 PM   #19
Jim
Your Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Young View Post
Microsoft payed these guys an obscene amount of money to play at the launch of the new x box. I would consider that a corporate gig, and I don't think that any of what we consider "corporate" performers would be a contender for that gig.
I think Scot is trying to catch the corporate gigs that aren't interested in a corporate performer. I believe it is probably a market that does exist.
Evan,

I wouldn't consider that a corporate gig. It was a commercial gig. They were hired by a corporation to promote a product for which the main market was high school/college kids. They were not hired to entertain corporate people.

I agree that there is definitely a corporate market out there for "alternative" comics and jugglers. However, it is much, much smaller than the corporate market Dan plays to.

Scot's video is definitely a college video. It would get him a NACA showcase. It may get him a few commercials. I just don't see him doing a keynote performance at a Microsoft corporate retreat. I'm not saying he couldn't do that... just that this particular video doesn't give that impression.
Old 03-21-09, 03:28 PM   #20
scot

That wasn't very nice, Dan. I wasn't challenging your knowledge or ability. Your response of wanting to get closer to me is exactly what girls always do when I break their hearts.

You're obviously more respected and successful than I am. It's too bad that you can't see that and you still need to take cheapshots at me.