performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 03-23-09, 11:16 PM   #1
Katiedid

Default How do I find a good spot?

I've been playing here & there for a bit now & just can't find a good spot.
When & where are good places to settle down & play?
Downtown during lunch hour? Up town during the weekend? Subway right after work? None of these places seem to work too well for me. Maybe, I'm getting disheartened too quickly... I don't know.

suggestions?
Katiedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 02:15 AM   #2
Lee Nelson

dont play bagpipes!
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 12:58 PM   #3
Katiedid

Har Har...
Anyway, I play smallpipes, they aren't as loud.
Katiedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 11:42 PM   #4
Schuyler

Send a message via Skype™ to Schuyler

You seem to have a trend in the spots you mentioned, namely being in a place at a time when people are in a hurry to get somewhere. If people are rushing to work they won't stop for you. Take lunch hour, people are dashing out of the office and trying to cram food and a bit of relaxation into a half hour, maybe an hour if they're lucky. They're feeling too rushed. Try looking for a place or time when people are more relaxed and already out looking for a good time.

~Schuyler
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 03:50 PM   #5
jeep caillouet

Sorry Schuyler I disagree with some of what you said.I use to play the Flushing line in Grand Central Station in NYC from 5 to 7 every day,now them folks are in a hurry. I made so much money there ,change mostly, that I 'd fill both front pockets to the top. I also got a ticket there (entertaining passengers was the charge) while waiting for the train to take me to the airport, on my last day leaving to go to the Worlds Fair in New Orleans in '84. I still have that ticket stashed in my trunk in the trash compacter.Toodleloo
Old 03-25-09, 03:54 PM   #6
jeep caillouet

I forgot, My good friend Dave Banjoseed plays the trains in Chicago . He does quite well. That might be a good spot for you.
Old 05-28-09, 01:13 AM   #7
Lydia

One good method is to go where it seems like the city center is, and ask the people hanging about where they typically see street performers! Also, Google is your friend.
Lydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 01:21 AM   #8
Daniel Mooncalf

Default Yea, your morale is too low.

Keep working at it for a while. After some trial, you might start to see what makes money and what doesn't.

So far as I've found, the best places are large outdoor shopping areas, even during a work day.
Old 07-08-09, 02:22 AM   #9
musicgrrl

katydid, are you really a piper on the street? music is very different from circle shows, and you also have a lot more flexibility and available pitches. when busking music, i always look for area with a lot of foot traffic, and i target zones where there are decent acoustics. a narrow pedestrian street, which wouldn't necessarily be the best place for a juggler or a bigger show, works super for a musician. i often find that slower days with lower ambient street noise work better for me, as do crossroads and corners, under the eaves of buildings and awnings. i have found that going into the smaller shops and asking them if you'll be disturbing them by playing outside sets a respectful tone and gets the locals on your side. occasionally places like starbucks will be totally into having music outside (provided it's good!) and will even let you plug an amp into their power if you chat up the manager. also if you sell cds, getting them off the ground (stool/small table) will make more sales. happy playing!
musicgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote