performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 06-19-09, 03:11 PM   #1
Rocco Acrobat
jiggly boob man

Send a message via AIM to Rocco Acrobat
Default come eviscerate my promo video!

After spending countless hours working on it, I have released my first ever promo video. Be brutal - I'm expecting to have shattered dreams by the time I read my first response to this thread...Don't let me down PNet!

link to my helpless, unsuspecting video

Seriously, I can take it.

in fact, while you're there, if you can find the time, please make snarky comments about my website. It's pretty new and I haven't shared it around that much, so I'm very interested to hear what the old pros have to say.

Thanks in advance!
-R
Old 06-19-09, 06:34 PM   #2
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

I have several things to say, but I don't have time right now. One thing real quick:
put the best stuff right up front. Your best stuff is the pole tricks, and the fire staff stuff. The unicycle is a bit dull, so make it shorter.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-09, 12:51 PM   #3
Evan Young

okay, let me expound on what I said before.
The unicycle was a bit dull: half way through watching you hop up the stairs I was ready to turn you off. I didn't because you asked for a critique and advice, and then you got to the pole tricks. OMFG awesome! If that was the first thing I saw on your video I would be sold.... Jugglers (like me) are kind of a dime a dozen. Keep up juggling/unicycle, it's good quality show filler, but highlight the acro for promo.
In a live show you need to build up to a big ending. In promo you need to wind down or maintain from a big start. The first very thing they think should be "we have to have this guy, look at that!!!.. oh, he does other stuff too, great". Right now I'm seeing "okay, another comedy juggler, I'd better see something special in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 *click next website*." They'll never even make it to the cool stuff.

okay, so you need to film a show that is in a better spot than the steps of the church in Noho MA. that's obvious, but not easy, I know. I LOVE the tricks in the practice studio, but the setting sucks ass. If you put more effort into the lighting and background of that space, or find a better space, it could be amazing. Getting set up in a real theater with real stage lighting might be the easiest way to achieve that.

You have a special costume in the picture on the front page and bio page of the website, but no-place else. splitting your branding is a bad thing for marketing, and it makes you look inconsistent (not pro).

I personally think you should have your pictures taken that are taken in front of a black backdrop, lit for a black backdrop. I don't like the cut outs with the white outline. It passes for now though, at least the white outlines that are there aren't sloppy.
Your graphic design needs a pro's touch. Site loads fast and is easy to navigate, always keep it that way, don't let some future fancy web designer sell you on some flash piece of crap.

I think I was working for foodplay while you were at U-Mass. Did you audition for foodplay? If so, I think I was there for that.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Old 06-20-09, 07:31 PM   #4
Rachel Peters

I haven't read everything Evan's written, so forgive me if I repeat some things. Of what I have read, I agree.
I don't think you need the unicycle stuff at all. It's not the original stuff -- it's not what will make someone hire you instead of the other guy. The POLE work IS. You don't even need the "I'm going to climb up a pole" dialogue. Just use the tricks. If there had been a really unique joke there, maybe, but there isn't. It's evident you're climbing the pole, so no need to say it. Cut out any redundancy. Like Evan said, do those studio tricks with different angles/settings/lightings and see what you can cut together. Clip the front and back of each clip as short as you can without losing the trick.
Your performance is intense stuff, you want the video to reflect that.
So yeah, my main critique would be that unicycle stands out as the part that just doesn't fit what you seem to be about.
Speaking of redundancy, I'll go read Evan's comments now to see what I've just repeated.

www.rachelpeters.com
Rachel Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-09, 01:25 AM   #5
Stephon
Handonmy Member

To piggyback on what Evan, said, not only is the studio a poor background, it's not selling your show; a potential employer is going to be more interested in your ability to hold and entertain an audience than the level of your technical achievment (which BTW, is awesome). You need footage of you doing those tricks in front of a large, enthusiastic audience.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-09, 07:23 PM   #6
Rocco Acrobat
jiggly boob man

Really quick, do you folks think that the techno music that plays during the pole trick section is a mistake? I'm reminded of countless youtube hippie poi spinners playing techno.

I'll have an edit posted up here in a jiffy.

Hey thanks, Evan!

Yeah, wow, that was some back in the day, right there. I wonder how many other times we've crossed paths by now.

I agree Stephon - I just don't have the footage just yet. There's never enough really good source footage.
Old 06-22-09, 03:07 AM   #7
Rocco Acrobat
jiggly boob man

Hey! round 2

took me until 3 am to get this one done:

http://roccotheacrobat.com/public/Sequence22nddraft.mov

twice the tricks and half the talk.
Old 06-22-09, 10:03 AM   #8
Jim
Your Host

It's like a whole different act. However, it now plays like a cirque du soleil audition tape. If you're trying to book gigs, you are going to need more audience interaction shots. Overall, it's way better.
Old 06-22-09, 10:23 AM   #9
thayr

Send a message via AIM to thayr

That's the first I've seen a chinese pole street performer, so I give you props for that. I'll agree that it looks like audition video, if you send it to Cirque de la Mer at SeaWorld it would get you a job.

If you'd actually be interested in working there let me know and I'll put you in touch with the right people.

http://www.seaworld.com/sitepage.aspx?PageID=413
thayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 08:51 PM   #10
Rocco Acrobat
jiggly boob man

Default thanks!

Thanks folks for the feedback and compliments.

Evan, when will you be in the area?
Old 07-01-09, 12:22 AM   #11
Evan Young

No idea. I was in Albany a few weeks ago. Right now most of my calendar is booked in the great fly-over states, or around PA/MD.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Old 07-06-09, 06:25 PM   #12
Lagtime

Default Ahh...

I saw your video, and thinks it looks great. When I see the whole thing, I don't really worry about the background of the studio space, because honestly, I am so entranced by the mad skills.

Also, I think your core muscles are scary, and that you could pop my head by doing a sit up.
Lagtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-09, 10:36 PM   #13
Rocco Acrobat
jiggly boob man

Yeah, I had to take that trick out of my show...
Old 07-07-09, 01:06 AM   #14
Lagtime

Default Hmm...

Yeah, I bet that didn't go over well with the health board... which is strange, usually they don't get involved with performers...