performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Old 07-18-09, 05:24 AM   #1
Damienl
from Canada, eh?

Default Whistle?

Hope I'm asking in the right place! Does anyone know what kind of whistle this is? Mime in Barcelona
An amazing dancer named Salah also uses the same type of whistle thing: Salah
Btw part two of Salah's performance is here if you want to watch it, it's pretty damn impressive!

Last edited by Damienl; 07-18-09 at 05:34 AM.
Damienl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 09:46 AM   #2
jeep caillouet

Default bird whistle

That appears to be a bird whistle. You can by them at most magic shops. They are a little hard to use though. In NOLA back in the 70's and 80's there was a clown there by the name of Toots. He was the one who first used one. Every clown there soon copied him. It sort of became a trade mark thing for NOLA clowns. I used one myself. The best and very easy thing to use is the squeaker from small rubber kids toys, or dog toys. Use the one with the long barrel .Some have aluminum foil reeds they may or may not last very long. The best are the ones with plastic reeds. You just put it on your tongue and talk and it comes out squeaky. They are sometimes hard to find because they are a child's chocking hazard . You just have to squeeze the toys till you find the one with the long barrel. you may then want to buy all of them as you will see they can be hard to find.Good luck.
Old 07-19-09, 11:38 AM   #3
RiffRaff

It might also be a punch whistle.
RiffRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-09, 04:04 PM   #4
Damienl
from Canada, eh?

Thanks Jeep and RiffRaff!
I found what I think is the right one: Swiss Warbler/Bird Whistle
Dang, I'd been looking for that for a week or so. I wish I had found you guys sooner! haha
Damienl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 11:18 AM   #5
wedjlok

Default replace the reed!

I know this post is a bit old now, but for future people looking at it...

The warbler/Swiss whistles/prairie whistles come with a little piece of wax paper like piece for the reed, which will soon be destroyed if you haven't used onje before. The reeds last no time at all, really.

What I do, and it lasts a long time and sounds MUCH better, is to gently pry open the metal piece that holds the reed to the leather, and replace it with a piece of rubber from a rubber glove. It make a much crisper sound, requires less effort to get a sound, plus it lasts a very long time. Use as thin of a piece of rubber as you can (I use latex gloves, NOT neoprene). It helps to push the whistle to the roof of the palate right behind the teeth. You'll get it and they're fun!

Aeryck
wedjlok is offline   Reply With Quote