performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 02-24-04, 06:05 PM   #1
MarcusM

Ass Length of Promo Vid

WUTS UP!
I am in the middle of production for my 3rd promo video. My others have vbeen around 4 minutes but i have a lot of great footage from shows that i wanna throw in. I know what people are looking for, and i know to start great and end great and all that other stuff, but i am getting a lot of different answers from a lot of different jugglers and variety acts about how long the video should be. And looking around on the internet I have seen some 7 minute ones and some 3 and a half minute ones to like 50 second minutes....

In a nutshell, what do you think the time for my demo should be?

YEA YEA, thanks a lot,
~Marcus
Old 02-24-04, 07:32 PM   #2
Pyromancer

Never longer than 10 minuits, if you ask me... And if you are going to exceed five minuits, you better have a good reason to do so.

That's my opinion.
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 12:01 AM   #3
MarcusM

Ass Agreed...and

Pyro,
Yeah i would agree with that....

~Also, do you think it's more common and more logical to use DVDs in stead of VHS tapes if you are going to send it out, not only are they smaller in size and cheaper to mail, but they would seem newer and 'more down.' ??? YEA YEA
~Marcus
Old 02-25-04, 07:01 AM   #4
Pyromancer

I'm getting the impression that DVD is the way to go nowadays...
Old 02-25-04, 09:33 AM   #5
Stretch

VHS vs DVD Depends who you are sending it to. I can guarentee you most
municipal offices will not have a DVD player at their desk. Some of them still have hand cranked computers ! I have run into older volunteers for parades and festival events in small towns who had to go find their hubby to show them how to operate the video player!

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 09:45 AM   #6
mini mansell

Send a message via ICQ to mini mansell Send a message via Yahoo to mini mansell
Default desk

granted not all have a dvd player on their desk. but i guestimate there are more computers in their offices. that tv's and video players.

and this will change very much in the favour of the dvd in the near future
Old 02-25-04, 10:05 AM   #7
pablo

Default VHS vs. DVD

Most people who want to see my show request a VHS video, but it's good to have your show on several formats. My promo video is a professionally edited 6-minute show, which is usually considered the max time limit.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 07:29 PM   #8
Pyromancer

Reminds me... For some strange reason, most potential gig-givers I have contacted want me to send them a cd-rom with my promo, even though they have a computer connected to the internet and my video is available for download. Ok, it's a somewhat large file, but no problem for many others until now...
Old 02-26-04, 12:17 PM   #9
young raoul

you are correct sir - as one of those potential gig givers - i spend way too much time in front of my screen as it is - i'm one of those yobs that still prefers the VHS format - i'm also getting old and slowly going blind from decades of wanking so I like seeing promo BIG - like on a tv - half the time when i'm trying to look at a downloaded clip, quicktime or a cdrom it's often all jerky or the sound is shite - a five minute video tape punched into my old faithful office vcr is welcomed - Lynneski?
young raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-04, 02:19 PM   #10
Pyromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by young raoul
one of those potential gig givers
What's your address??
Old 02-26-04, 02:37 PM   #11
Rick Martin

I just came from dropping my promo stuff at an agents office. He told me that he spends a lot of time editing performer's tapes down to two or three minutes. He said you should be able to tell your story in under three minutes.
Rick Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-04, 04:27 PM   #12
Lynneski

Canada

Thanks for the shout, YR. Nope, me I'm a new-fangled gal. If I can make it easy for you, AND reduce the need for more office shelf real estate, I'm all over that like a clearance bin of Manolos. Gimme downloads any day.

I'll add two cautionary pleads, though. One - make it easy for me. I'm not the techiest of gals, so don't make me go looking for fixes. Set your vid up to play on the most popular 'wares. Providing options as to dial-up, cable, etc might be nice for other folks. Two - as soon as we get to the talking about coming to a gig stage, mail me promo photos ASAP. You don't want to make me chase you for them, trust me.

(That's the thing that I miss most about no longer getting the majority of packages by mail anymore- the ability to have photos in hand to scan for whatever print needs I have. Sure, I can grab photos off your site as easy as *that*, but in my experience, it's often a compromise on size and/or resolution.)

If you're sending stuff out cold, I think VHS is still the common denominator - guaranteed not to piss anyone off because they couldn't play your stuff.

As for length, I prefer around 6 ", I mean, minutes. I want to see the major elements of your show, your banter/audience interaction/reaction, and ideally, different locations/gigs you've played. I also book corporate gigs, so I like to see a separate section on that kind of work, though I know I'm a rarity and many fest producers don't want to be bothered with corporate guff.

Geez, I wish I got to say how *I* like things all the time ...
Old 02-26-04, 04:46 PM   #13
Stretch

HIGH! LYNNSKI!

Tell us more about what you want or need in the way of promo photos.

THANK YOU!

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 04:54 PM   #14
Dan The One Man Band
Original Member

Default Do we have standards?

Been 5 years since this thread was active. I'm wondering if the expectations from "Entertainment Coordinators" is the same and if it's changed with the techno times. I understand some EC's are requesting full length shows because of getting burned by an act sending a reel of all the good bits and the stuff they left out was not so good.
What's the standard length?
Is it different depending on the venue?
DVD's seem like a good "hard copy" promo tool. Do many people just direct traffic to U2B or the likes?
Imput?