performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > FOR SALE - WANTED > ITEMS WANTED

Old 12-26-01, 05:15 AM   #1
danielc

Smile Headset Mic NO TRANSMITTER

I need a headset microphone, preferably a nice one. I've been tempted to go the route of a REALLY LONG cord instead of wireless. Cheaper, and easier.

A friend of mine did it this summer, and it seemed to work pretty well.

Shure or Samson models preferred. Thanks.
Old 12-26-01, 06:11 AM   #2
le pire

Go to Ebay.
I found it easier when I knew the exact model and brand of what I wanted. I went to a couple of music shops and picked the salesperson's brain for an hour to determine "which system was best for me" then turned around and bought it off EBAY. Kind of devious but I saved more than $450.

I wouldn't risk buying a used mic, ESPECIALLY from a street performer!

étienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-01, 01:48 PM   #3
Scot Free

I checked out your web site and it appears that you are not a "stand-up" comic, but rather a "prop-comic". In other words my guess would be that you do stuff (physically) ie: juggle, run around ect..
DO NOT BUY a mic that is not wireless it no doubt will trip you up, limit your performance and piss you off. Save up and get a wireless system, you will eventually get one so why waste your (hard earned?)cash on a leash.
Even a cheapo Radio Shack special ($150) will get you through the first few shows of the season until you can get a real system.
At least you won't be "tied" down to your amp.
Scot Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-01, 08:21 PM   #4
le pire

I was working a cabaret circuit as a juggler and the places I was performing usually had some 17 year old moron on the sound board. I would show up at the theatre 4 hours before the show, plug in my mic, check the levels, everything. 5 minutes before I go on the idiot "technician" would tell me "hey I checked your levels and fixed them!" No sooner would I hit the stage than I get a massive feed back loop.

I would then ditch my head mike and go for the hand held wired mic the MC used.

A juggler with a hand held mic.

I would get a kid or drunk from the audience to be me mic stand. I had to cut out 3/4 of my tricks, but the comedy I got out of this made me wonder why I never made this an official part of my show.

Every night there was a new and DUMBER problem. It was when I just kicked back and said, ok, screw it, and had fun with the catastophe that I had my best shows.

On the other hand, it is really good to do a very tight, every beat in the right place, no screw ups show.

You may be wondering "What does this have to do with microphones?"

ummm....

well, not much!

étienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-01, 09:00 PM   #5
danielc

Talking

I have used a wireless system in the past. Unfortunately, the one I purchased broke and I was forced to rent one for a couple months.

I know of other "prop-comics" who actually walk a slackrope and do things like that who use this system (like 50ft of cord) and it does work, you just need to be a little careful.

We'll see. If it doesn't work, it's not hard to find a transmitter.

All the best.
Daniel