performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 12-23-09, 06:12 PM   #1
Bob Carr

Default Making a web site.... need help

Hello

I have been performing for the last 10 years or so. Mostly on the street. Now it is time to make a web site and promo package. The joy of working the street is you dont really need all that crap.

I have had a couple web sites before. The first was made for me and got out dated really quick. Then I had trouble with hosting. The last couple I made myself, but I didnt really know what I was doing. Now that I am starting to have a clue, I start by asking you.

I understand the concept of my show being a product and I am selling it. The problem starts with who am I selling this product to. Like most of you out there, I'll take what ever work comes my way. I no longer want a passive roll in that.

So my question is, what is really needed on a web page and what should a promo package include. I would like to make both together so that they look good together.
Old 12-23-09, 07:38 PM   #2
Isabella

Some general design/content questions worth answering:

What is the goal of the site?

Who are we trying to please? If it's the boss, what does she want? Is impressing a certain kind of person important? Which kind?

Who are we trying to reach? Is it everyone? Our customers? A certain kind of prospect?

What are the sites that this group has demonstrated they enjoy interacting with?

Are we trying to close sales?

Are we telling a story?

Are we earning permission to follow up?

Are we hoping that people will watch or learn?

Do we need people to spread the word using various social media tools?

Are we building a tribe of people who will use the site to connect with each other?

Do people find the site via word of mouth? Are they looking to answer a specific question?

Is there ongoing news and updates that need to be presented to people?

Is the site part of a larger suite of places online where people can find out about us, or is this our one sign post?

Is that information high in bandwidth or just little bits of data?

Do we want people to call us? How should they contact us?

How many times a month would we like people to come by? For how long?

Who needs to update this site? How often?

How often can we afford to overhaul this site?

Does showing up in the search engines matter? If so, for what terms? At what cost? Will we be willing to compromise any of the things above in order to achieve this goal?

Will the site need to be universally accessible? Do issues of disability or language or browser come into it?

How much money do we have to spend? How much time?
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 07:48 PM   #3
Isabella

And, in my opinion, the most important pages on your performer website:

Home - what you do and who you are and a way to contact you
Contact - the contact page, linked from home
Video
Photos

Additional pages that may be helpful -

Bio - more info about the performer
Shows/Acts - more info about different things you do (if it's not part of your show or act, it needs its own site, though)
Performance/Tour Dates - so they can see you're working
Past Clients - possibly also link to recommendation letters
Blog - to keep in touch with FANS, clients don't care
FAQ

We have also found out that having a detailed contact form helps a lot - we know their event size and what they're looking for before following up.

I recommend Invisible Gold for website build/host - www.invisiblegold.com. We use them and are able to update our site ourselves from any computer, any time, including adding new pages when needed. We've used Rachel Peters for graphic design (the look, not the code) and are currently working with Alex Kahler www.clockworkdreams.net (Rachel's amazing and is still collaborating on visual elements but doesn't love doing this kind of layout work).

John at Invisible Gold is excellent at coding your site from a design you make, whether you know html or not. He also coded a site for us that I originally designed in FrontPage. His prices are reasonable and he gives good deals to artists. He's also VERY responsive when we need help or have technical issues. Our site includes newsletter and mailing list abilities, too.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 09:02 PM   #4
RiffRaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carr View Post
I understand the concept of my show being a product and I am selling it. The problem starts with who am I selling this product to. Like most of you out there, I'll take what ever work comes my way. I no longer want a passive roll in that.
If I understand this correctly, you're trying to find your target market. If that is correct, then: Given that you have worked for 10 years, you must have some experience performing in other markets (corporate, clubs, theaters, cruise ships, whatever). Find out which of those markets has been the most receptive to your 'product' and focus on that single market.
When you talk to potential buyers, ask them:
1. How they heard of you.
2. Have they seen your web page. (If yes, what did they think of it).
3. What convinced them to call YOU.
Once you know what's working, push further in that direction.
RiffRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 03:20 PM   #5
Doctor Eric

If you don't know who you're selling your show to, you're lost, sit down and figure this part out immediately, it'll make everything easier.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 11:27 PM   #6
Dynamikemagic

You can do a search looking for the best web host that fits you with the following links:

http://webhostinggeeks.com/
http://b2evolution.net/web-hosting/t...webhosting.php
http://www.top10webhosting.com/
http://www.besthostratings.com/
http://findbestwebhosting.com/
http://findbestwebhosting.com/
Dynamikemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 04:57 AM   #7
Doctor Eric

He didn't ask about hosting. His site is obviously already hosted.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 09:32 AM   #8
heckler

Good info here.
Thanks for the hosting links dynamike and good posts from isabella!^^^
heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 08:38 PM   #9
Bob Carr

Sorry I dropped off there for a while. I landed in the performing season with a show I had never done before.

First, thanks for all the great advice! I have thought about this lots in the last while. It is funny, I have performed for the last ten years and I have no idea who my target market is. Most of the time I perform on the street so I have never really needed a promo and the few jobs I have got, were because I knew someone who knew the right person. And the great thing about the street is that it is like a natural filter. People stop because they like me or what they see.

I already have a host and I have found someone to make the site for me and I will keep you posted on how it going.
Old 03-25-10, 12:02 PM   #10
Bob Carr

So it is 3:53am, when all great web sites are finished and I have something for you to view.

http://adventurecomedian.com/

Home, Festivals, On Stage, Workshops and Contact are my main focus. The blog works, the pod casts and videos don't yet.

Let be know what you think.
Old 03-25-10, 03:41 PM   #11
Mr Qwirk
... ___ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carr View Post
So it is 3:53am, when all great web sites are finished and I have something for you to view.

http://adventurecomedian.com/

Home, Festivals, On Stage, Workshops and Contact are my main focus. The blog works, the pod casts and videos don't yet.

Let be know what you think.

It looks great, I just find the "Adventure Comedian" title font quite difficult to read.
Mr Qwirk is offline   Reply With Quote