performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 01-06-10, 06:45 AM   #1
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Send a message via MSN to Dallas
Default Clearwater Beach Pier 60

Another Christmas season/ Outback Bowl has passed.

Aside from the weather turning crappy the last weekend, our crowds were FANTASTIC!!

Our beach was packed and people were very generous. I performed between 5 and 7 shows a day.(our festival hours where extended from 4 hours a day to 8)

Thanks to Chris The Bucketman, Nicktorious, and Brian Pollack for making it out and entertaining our tourists.

This is probably the best two weeks of the year at Pier 60 and I had plenty of room for other acts.
Old 01-28-10, 08:42 PM   #2
elbonko
Casual Observer

Default one thing's clear...

Clearwater Beach, FL. Sunsets at Pier 60 daily festival.

I’ve been here for 3 weeks, working on a new show with fire dancer Britainy Dibbs. We are still ironing out a few details, but this has essentially been a paid rehearsal run. The hats so far have been small, but this is apparently as “off” as the the “off-season” gets. Even though the beach is pretty dead right now, we can still get enough of a crowd to do a show on the clear days and folks around here are no strangers to throwin down 5’s, 10’s and 20’s. At this point, we’re just itching for spring break to kick in.

There are rules, but they are pretty reasonable and fair. After all, it is right next to a big play-ground for children. So, stay professional, don’t get vulgar, maybe watch your costuming and you should be fine. Shows have to be kept 20-25 minutes or less. But, you don’t have to do much of a crowd gather because most acts plug the next act.

Almost everyone on the pitch and even on the island, has been very cool and welcoming to us. The Supreme Beings b-boy crew is awesome. Nick-torius is rockin. Juggler Bob is putting in occasional appearances. Dave the spray paint guy is super cool. And Dallas is the man.

As festival coordinator, Dallas works very hard to provide fairness and equality for all of the performers (whether a new act or old) while walking the delicate line of liaison to the vendors. He has really gone out of his way to help us out and make us feel welcome and appreciated. There’s politics on every pitch, but Dallas does a great job of minimizing the drama and standing up for the acts.

-Bonk

www.AaronBonk.com

Last edited by elbonko; 03-23-10 at 02:36 PM.
elbonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 01:32 PM   #3
streetshowkeith

I know what that waiting for spring break is like on pier 60, it will get better!
streetshowkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 04:50 PM   #4
Doctor Eric

streetshowkeith... is that who I think it is?

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-10, 07:45 AM   #5
Boardwalk merchant

Don't forget about the Boardwalk in Daytona Beach. We just recently had a $3 million dollar renovation on the Boardwalk itself, and it looks like we will have a ferris wheel and rides for the summer. Fireworks are shot every Saturday night from memorial day to labor day, and we welcome talented Street performers. Dallas, I look forward to seeing you this year, and Aaron, it was nice meeting you last week. Hopefully, I will be seeing more of you also. For tryouts, you must go to Mardi Gras Fun Center (12 North Ocean Ave) in Daytona Beach. Thanks, Dino
Boardwalk merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 08:41 AM   #6
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default Always a pleasure Dino

It's always a pleasure to come work in Daytona!!!

Looks like Spring Break is upon us,

performing this season:

Nicktorious
Supreme Beings
Bonk and Brit
Myself
George Gilbert
Juggler Bob
Chris the bucketman
Serge

and more to come!!!

The weather should warm up this weekend and crowds should build.

Thanks everyone for coming!
Old 03-03-10, 11:18 PM   #7
Boardwalk merchant

Thanks Dallas, look forward to seeing you
Boardwalk merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 07:58 AM   #8
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default AKA...

Kerosene Keith
Old 03-17-10, 02:36 PM   #9
Storm Surge

Default don't miss

This spring break has been one of the best.
Sunsets at Pier 60 is a great event when the big D is in town. He really makes this place worth while. When he's gone the politics get goofy.
Dallas has never steered me wrong though and this time even gave up a prime pitch to help me make rent.
If you come bring your family friendly A game. The people will tip well for good shows. They don't give pity tips.
The best part of this pitch is hanging with the performers. D can be kinda private but the times he hangs out are priceless. If you buy him three or four drinks he'll tell you exactly what he thinks of your show and how to make it better, but only if you ask.
It is best not to bring stock lines if you can avoid it. If you can bring an A and a B show that would be good as there is a lot of crowd passing and people may watch your show several times.
Storm Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 02:41 PM   #10
George Gilbert

Send a message via AIM to George Gilbert

Clearwater is great.. Family friendly, run very smoothly.. (Thanks Dallas)

Bring a tight show! The acts out here are great. . Crowd building is easy , as mentioned above each act plugs the next so crowds are shared..
Old 03-23-10, 04:28 PM   #11
SuchaMuggle

Thanks to the friendly people at the Clearwater Sunset/Pier 60 area, I was able to show up, meet and speak with Dallas, and try my show, all on the first night I was there. It was not bad for a Monday; the little bit of rain did not scare all the guests away.

Dallas was very helpful and accommodating, not to mention a funny and skilled entertainer. I think Clearwater is lucky to have him.

The other performers were really great to me too, and several of them watched a bit of my show.

I hope to get a chance to perform there again!

John Nations, comedy juggler
SuchaMuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-10, 10:42 PM   #12
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default Thanks guys!!

Thank you everyone for the kind words, but more importantly, THANK YOU for coming to our event and bringing smiles to our tourists (and locals).

So far it has been an unusual Spring Break as far as the weather is concerned.

The crowds have been great though!!!! Hope everyone is making some $$ and considers coming back.
Old 04-04-10, 10:42 AM   #13
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default Spring Break 2010

It's Easter, so Spring Break will be coming to an end soon. It's been a great season for doing shows and watching them.

We've had some great performers this year!!!

Thanks Y'all!!!
Old 04-13-10, 05:35 AM   #14
zoobie
www.BuskerAlley.com

We just went to Clearwater Pier 60 and it was pretty nice. It was during the day and spring break. I asked the gate-keeper where the buskers were but he just gave me a blank stare. He only wanted his 50 cents toll for us to go to the end of the pier. We were looking for more buskers to film for Busker Alley - The Movie but I guess they only perform at sunset.

We're headed back to the French Quarter for some stock shots this weekend but we'll try to get back to Pier 60 sometime this year...
Old 04-13-10, 07:22 AM   #15
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Default Hence the name....

Sunsets at Pier 60 Daily Festival

Let me know when you are coming back through.

Dallas