performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > CLIENT/AGENT/AGENCY ISSUES

Old 02-20-10, 03:28 AM   #21
jester

Default Humility verses Check

I personally would take the cheque over humility, however, when a non payer shows humility I do tend to be far more patient with them.

See how reformed I am, the thread was turning out to be about MEEEeee again and I managed to get it back on topic.

jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 03:36 AM   #22
gav

Actually you almost managed, but with your last sentance, you made it about your reformation.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 09:50 AM   #23
Doctor Eric

I say we all chip in and buy Jester some self awareness, it'll be fun to watch it all hit at once, and see his face melt like the nazis in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 10:48 AM   #24
nicklikesfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
Ethics? Guy's name is Greg Campbell. The event was at his restaurant "jeckyl and Hyde"
I will try that loophole with the small claims. Thanks for the tip! From what i've heard the guy has already been arrested more than once from fucking all his other employees. I hope he isn't getting too comfortable there.
I know this is an old thread, but I just happened to see it and wanted to get some more information out there and online.

Gregory Campbell is a professional con artist with mafia connections. He throws lavish parties, charges people to attend, pays for everything with fake checks, and then splits with the cash.

He has been arrested multiple times and it is a total failure of the American justice system that this is still happening (as of early 2010 anyway).

I was subpoenaed to testify against him in Virginia a few years ago (2008 maybe, similar situation, after a NYE gig). He was ordered to pay restitution, but I'm not holding out hope of ever seeing a dime. At the time I was psyched that I got to go to VA and testify against him. I thought the three days of my time that it took to fly there, sit in court, and fly home would be worth it, to prevent him from scamming others (I was also hoping he would end up in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison).

It seems I placed too much faith in the American judicial system.
nicklikesfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 01:19 PM   #25
jared

Wow... thanks for the extra info nick. Its hard to believe an asshole like that can manage to slip away from crime after crime. I'm sorry that you also had to deal with this guy. Lets just hope that eventually he gets the STD ridden prison pounding that he deserves.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 06:31 AM   #26
davidkaye

Be very careful about saying that somebody has "mafia connections". They could sue you and/or your company for libel and/or slander.

Best thing to do is get 50% of your money prior to the event and make sure the check clears before you perform. Losing half your money is better than losing it all. If the client balks then you know they're up to no good anyway.
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-12, 08:21 AM   #27
nicklikesfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkaye View Post
Be very careful about saying that somebody has "mafia connections". They could sue you and/or your company for libel and/or slander.
Thanks for the advice, but I was at his trial. That statement was not an opinion or a presumption on my part, it is a fact.
Old 03-16-12, 05:13 PM   #28
davidkaye

Regardless, whether he has mafia connections or not has nothing to do with the fact that he bounced a check on you. It's still not a good tactic to bring it up. In fact it could backfire because people would see it as hyperbole and be less likely to take anything else said seriously.
Old 03-17-12, 02:30 PM   #29
nicklikesfire

Quote:
Regardless, whether he has mafia connections or not has nothing to do with the fact that he bounced a check on you. It's still not a good tactic to bring it up. In fact it could backfire because people would see it as hyperbole and be less likely to take anything else said seriously.
People can choose to take the "mafia connections" statement however they want. If you want to assume it is hyperbole, go ahead. It does have something to do with the bounced check. I said it because I think it further clarifies that he is a professional criminal, which I think is important to this particular thread.

Maybe the best jugglers should stop saying they can juggle nine balls (some can, for sure) because people may take it as hyperbole and be less likely to take them seriously.
Old 03-17-12, 04:54 PM   #30
davidkaye

People bounce checks all the time who are not mafia-connected. Saying they're "mafia" has the same effect on people as saying they're "nazis". It doesn't improve the impact; it lessens it.

Again, get 50% up front and make sure the check clears before the performance. That's the way I work it. And those who refuse to put up 50% in advance simply aren't worth dealing with. This kind of demand is not unreasonable in the performing world when you're dealing with unknown promoters and bookers.
Old 03-19-12, 08:25 AM   #31
nicklikesfire

Hi Dave,

I don't want to keep posting in this thread, because I feel like it really isn't adding anything. But I'm really curious as to why you keep arguing with me about this (you have every right too, I'm just curious).

-The thread is about a specific case of check bouncing, by Gregory Campbell.

-I have had a similar interaction with Greg Campbell.

-I was subpoenaed to testify against him after his arrest and extradition to Virginia.

-During his trial I learned he had mafia connections.

-The fact that he has Mafia connections supports the fact that he is more than just an average check bouncer.

To use your nazi example: Pretend there was a gang of neo-nazi skin heads going around and beating the shit out of people at your local park. Don't you think it might be important for any news outlet reporting on the subject to mention that they are nazis, and not just a random gang of delinquents?

Or to put it another way, just because a fact seems outrageous, it doesn't mean that it is.

If you don't want to believe me when I say that Greg Campbell has mafia connections, then don't. But I do think that putting that information out there was the correct thing for me to do.

I'll refrain from posting any more replies to you about this, sorry if I ruined the thread!

To get this more on topic:

In my situation Gregory Campbell had another person pay me my deposit for the gig (the gig was a high money gig, so it was not half, but still a sizable amount). So that money cleared no problem. (The person who paid me the deposit was not "in" on the scam and ended up losing more than $30,000 I think).

Also, the check that Greg gave me took three months before it came back as a bad check. Since the gig wasn't booked more than three months in advance, even if he had written the check himself, he still would have gotten away with it.

Banks (by law, in the US anyway) must release the funds from a check into your account within seven days of you depositing the check. In my case it took three months for them to figure out that the check from Gregory Campbell was fraudulent.

Quote:
People bounce checks all the time who are not mafia-connected. Saying they're "mafia" has the same effect on people as saying they're "nazis". It doesn't improve the impact; it lessens it.

Again, get 50% up front and make sure the check clears before the performance. That's the way I work it. And those who refuse to put up 50% in advance simply aren't worth dealing with. This kind of demand is not unreasonable in the performing world when you're dealing with unknown promoters and bookers.

Last edited by nicklikesfire; 03-19-12 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-20-12, 08:24 AM   #32
jared

I for one am glad to know more about this guy. I don't doubt his mafia connections and to hear that is a fact as brought up in court, Its worth pointing out. All performers should know to avoid this man at all costs. If you work for him, you wont get paid.
Back when I did this gig, I had more trust in humanity and didn't ask for a deposit. Some of the other performers I talked to said that they got deposits but had to persistantly bug the guy until he finally paid up. Now I always get 50% before going.
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-12, 10:42 PM   #33
Irina

Why do you take personal checks in the first place? All the party artists/entertainers I know take personal checks only for advance deposits - this way the check must clear BEFORE you do the gig. I only take corporate checks from companies which book me with invoice or agencies I work with. Everybody else have to pay in cash and I let them know in advance that I only take cash.
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gregory allan campbell, gregory campbell