performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 04-26-10, 11:22 AM   #1
Cady
member in good standing

Default Grad Student Thesis on Statue History

Hey, I'm helping out a friend who is doing some research for school into the history of street performers, statues particularly. I was wondering if anybody had some perspective on the history of human statues.

If you've been performing for a long time, how have human statues changed in the course of that time? Did you notice that you were seeing many more of them at some point? How have reactions to statues changed in the time you've been performing?

What's the earliest human statue performance you know of personally? Did you see it yourself or did you meet a statue who told you they'd been performing since the 50s or 60s?

What is your perception of relations between statues and other buskers? (You may, like many non-statues, have a very low opinion of us. That's okay. My friend will not be sharing your answers to this question.)

It would be awesome and generous of you to answer some or all of these questions. You can post here or email the answers to mgarelick@gmail.com. Thanks!
Old 04-26-10, 01:10 PM   #2
gav

If you didn't know it already, it has it's routes in tableux vivant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tableau_vivant

In Europe, it has turned into a form of costumed begging. Many unskilled people with poor ideas and no artistic inclination do it to simply make money.
In my experience, a good statue act is a very rare thing, but when you do see one, they can be as enjoyable as any other street entertainment.
I think I first saw one in Australia in the late 90's. I can't recall the exact year.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 03:41 PM   #3
Cady
member in good standing

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav View Post
In Europe, it has turned into a form of costumed begging. Many unskilled people with poor ideas and no artistic inclination do it to simply make money.
I am somewhat fascinated that you would say this about Europe. It seems much much truer in the US.
Old 04-28-10, 03:40 PM   #4
Kate Awesome

AHAHA. So true about Europe, Gav!!

I hardly do statue in Europe anymore as a result. My favourite incident was showing the cops my passport when they shut me down in Venice, and then they told me I stole it.
Kate Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote