performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > CLIENT/AGENT/AGENCY ISSUES

Old 04-19-10, 05:13 PM   #1
About Faces
Super Agent

Default Who's legit, and whom should I avoid, and how can I tell?

I'm actually an agent, trying to figure out the best way to quickly vet performers. You all know performers who are great to hang out with, but whom you wouldn't want out there representing you to your clients. What are some quick and easy ways to figure that out, beforehand? Anyone?
About Faces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 09:19 PM   #2
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

Networking. Get to know the other agents and performers.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 04:39 PM   #3
Isabella

Check references. Watch them in action. And every now and then, you'll get burned anyway So far my worst burn was someone I knew, trusted, and who was liked and trusted by everyone else I knew (and they probably felt the same on both the trusting and the being burned). Cost me almost $8000. So sometimes a bad situation is not preventable.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 07:50 PM   #4
George Gilbert

Send a message via AIM to George Gilbert

google. ask if theyve ever worked with online agencys like gigsalad, gigmasters... i think those sites have a review and rating system..

check the sexual offenders list: http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/sorSearch/ ... especially if your booking for kides birthday parties. .. this is a nobrainer..
Old 05-01-10, 02:37 PM   #5
martin ewen

I doubt you can 'quickly' vet new performers.
Start with the performers you do have and get recommendations from the more perceptive among them.

It kinda begs the question as to whether such performers, recognising their skills, might construct a service to evaluate performers under different criteria for agents.

[Bwaa ha ha..think of the POWER!]

cost/time effective I'd suppose google is your friend.
look at past gigs and contact them for their evaluation I'd suggest.

The same thing works in reverse in the sense that performers do research the agents that wish to engage them. Part of the biz.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 09:21 AM   #6
magic_fella

1) References. Ask for six of them. Why? Most people can think of two people who will say something nice about them. SIX? Takes a little time to come up with that many. and CALL the references. ASK questions about the performer: their performance as well as their attitudes. Two reasons for this: The information, of course -- AND at least one of the six people will call the performer and tell them you WERE checking.

2) See a show. Don't go by video. Many videos no longer represent a performer's show. SEE them for yourself.

2a) If they are working with kids, you need to look at them very carefully. In Canada, we have them bring in a police report on themselves to ensure there is no criminal record. You would be amazed how many pedophiles are actually good performers.

2b) You may even need to ensure the performers carry their own liability insurance. In some cases you can be held accountable for their actions. A document should be signed with each performer that clearly defines them as "Suppliers" which frees you from any responsibility other than paying them and ensuring they have all the information they need about the show.

3) If they check out, book them ONCE...like a paid audition. Your job as an agent is to ensure that the performer is crystal clear on what your expectations are: what you want them to do on-site...and who the client is. Performers often get a bad rap undeservedly because the agent never bothered to explain the job to them.

4) Make sure that you, as the agent, do your end of the job: that the performer gets paid on time, that they get feedback on the performance, that if there are any travel arrangements that needed to be made -- that they are made. It's been my experience that if performers are treated with fairness and respect MOST of them will return same.

There is no quick "vet."

Last edited by magic_fella; 05-22-10 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Thought of more crap to say
magic_fella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vetting performers