performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 05-19-12, 10:56 PM   #1
circusboy90210

Default community events.

anybody here ever worked an events for years on end and have the event flip the script one day for no reason?? I almost feel it should be unconstitituional to be excluded from a public event because your 1st amendment rights are being used differently than any other attendee of an event. street performing should be no different just because a festival is being held on that section of public street. an event had me arrested because they had to pay $20k to set the event up where I worked 10 years from day one when the event had less that 50 people attend it. they sure were happy to see my happy ass for years untill now, suddently they want me to pay them to work in a event that my popularity and personal appearance's helped to enhance.

any thoughts on that subject.?????
circusboy90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 08:40 AM   #2
sippy

It's unfortunate and fundamentally wrong... however (at least up here) that seems to be the nature and legality of city owned spaces. While you have been working there for 10 years, they would simply argue that they had allowed you to stay until that point (and would likely blame attendance on you, as stupid as that is)...
... It's the same thing as here in Toronto... it seems impossible to find a space which fits within the bylaw requirements to be able to set up a pitch (that doesn't require an additional permit or audition) and when you finally find one, if a cop asks you to move, you have to immediately or lose your busking permit and possible face arrest. Sometimes you just have to take it on the chin and go back next week.
Old 05-21-12, 09:15 AM   #3
circusboy90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
It's unfortunate and fundamentally wrong... however (at least up here) that seems to be the nature and legality of city owned spaces. While you have been working there for 10 years, they would simply argue that they had allowed you to stay until that point (and would likely blame attendance on you, as stupid as that is)...
... It's the same thing as here in Toronto... it seems impossible to find a space which fits within the bylaw requirements to be able to set up a pitch (that doesn't require an additional permit or audition) and when you finally find one, if a cop asks you to move, you have to immediately or lose your busking permit and possible face arrest. Sometimes you just have to take it on the chin and go back next week.
there is no next week it's an annual event. the event has my address and could have contacted me, I'm not a hard person to find I've been working the same corner for 20 years. we don't do the permit thing here in Asheville NC. street performing is a constitutionally protected activity. no cop has the right to tell you to move on here at least. see city owned means property of the people, not a private corporation as I've seen in some canadian towns. I've actually told cops to fuck off I"m not moving for shyte, and you can't make me, they kept walking. we have a right to be in a community event especially if we are actually part of the community. p.s. there is nothing wrong with giving out free balloons & if people happen to drop money in the bucket that also cannot be helped. this and the us constitution are what are different about our two situations. gb
Old 05-30-12, 08:43 PM   #4
martin ewen

You were arrested.presumably they charged you with something. Whatever you had in mind in not backing down and getting yourself arrested better be more powerful than injured pride. I sincerely sympathise but you are part of a process now and defending yourself and winning is probably something you alone can't afford. Yes I know they'll provide a lawyer but he/she'll be lucky to spend an hour reviewing your case. Your life I think on reflection will be easier if you just let the event's pass by uncontested and use the space the rest of the time. Or if you want to chose this as a battle at least do due diligence.... Get your lawyer to check this out. http://www.buskersadvocates.org/

and specifically perhaps this http://www.buskersadvocates.org/saawilmington.html

Last edited by martin ewen; 05-30-12 at 08:45 PM.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 10:36 PM   #5
circusboy90210

Default tyvm

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin ewen View Post
You were arrested.presumably they charged you with something. Whatever you had in mind in not backing down and getting yourself arrested better be more powerful than injured pride. I sincerely sympathise but you are part of a process now and defending yourself and winning is probably something you alone can't afford. Yes I know they'll provide a lawyer but he/she'll be lucky to spend an hour reviewing your case. Your life I think on reflection will be easier if you just let the event's pass by uncontested and use the space the rest of the time. Or if you want to chose this as a battle at least do due diligence.... Get your lawyer to check this out. http://www.buskersadvocates.org/

and specifically perhaps this http://www.buskersadvocates.org/saawilmington.html
yes I'm pretty hip to those things . however I worked that even from day one as a welcome part of the event &helped to bring attendance from less than 50 to 10,000. I feel betrayed by this. I was talking to the event co- ordinator when the police that one of her underlings called(she swore I'd never worked that event) the police(I have lots of regulars , probably should let them know what happened & ask them to boycott that event, & have all other street performers pass the word on boycotting that event) . I was not arrested for being there . but for mention i was starting a big fucking stink about the treatment I recieved after being a crucial part of building the event. one lady had complained it cost $20k to arrange the event. that's not any of my problem. me being there helps bring people who spend money that makes that festival finally profitable. they should be paying me. I"m very much a team player. i was charged with use of fighting words that would instill a violent response. (the context I used them in was not fitting the charge and the officer used the one word out of context) I was also charged with 2nd degree trespass even though the words before " start a big fucking stink " were "I'm leaving but" as in your going to regret your actions. I am the director of local street performers advocate group. many people have told me due to my popularity the charges will most likely be dropped. need to go talk to the district attourney & explain things so that tax payers money is not wasted on petty bullshit. if not I can get the charges dropped for $250 through an attourney. I also am going to buy an ad in the newspaper explaining to the general public what charlatans montoford ave. festival is. thanks for the advice.
Old 05-30-12, 11:09 PM   #6
Chance

Circusboy, check your PM box...
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 02:24 AM   #7
Mr.Taxi Trix

"they should be paying me. I"m very much a team player."

God I love these boards.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 04:31 PM   #8
circusboy90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Taxi Trix View Post
"they should be paying me. I"m very much a team player."

God I love these boards.
yes dude, I was the only entertainment @ three different events from day one till 8- 12 years later when there is attendance from 3k to 40k people. yes I should be getting payed by these people on top of working for tips. I am a team player. now do some research on magic mike and public events, we have a right to attend and perform in public events it's unconstitutional to exlude us street performers on any basis, 14th amendment. equal protection under the law demands that my 1st amendment rights are not any different than anyone elses wether making money or not. secondly a festival is not private property as all people are equlally allowed access with no expectation of being singles out for our activity's there.read about case laws that prove other wise, I'm on your side fighting for us. your attitude seems to support those that would oppress us.