performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Old 05-23-10, 11:43 AM   #1
FireNix

Default New Samson Wireless Mic

Check this out - Samsons new product which supersedes the Airline
http://cgi.ebay.com/Samson-Airline-M...item2ead39d371
I'd be mighty interested in hearing of anyone who's bought/used one of these
Looks small and great - but personaly as I have unseasonably small ears (and feet actually - which are inversely proportional to the size of my........
ego!) I am worried whether the ear transmiter/Mic would actually stay on!!
Anyways - thought i'd out it out there for the community - please feedback with opinions
Love n Peas
Old 05-24-10, 10:21 AM   #2
Scot Free

here's the link to the Samson site and that mic. ...http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...2045&brandID=1

Doesn't mention anywhere what frequency it runs on or if you can change it... probably can't, and only has a mini audio out-put. I'd stay away.
Scot Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 12:42 PM   #3
Frisbee

i would not trust any microphone that I can not change out the batteries on. what happens if you are playing a fair or festival all day and suddenly your mic power runs low...what do you do?

I still think sennheiser is the way to go, I just upgraded to the ew100 G3 model and I stand by their product, quality and customer service.

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 05-25-10, 03:17 PM   #4
Scot Free

Default sennheiser!!!!

yup, i've been using the new sennheiser G3 camera kit for a few months now and it rocks! Clear quality sound, solid metal casing, open frequency scan, batteries at both ends... better to spend a few hundred more and get a mic you will not have to replace for a long long time! I'd bet that Samson wouldn't last one season. You can rent them from Long and Mcquade in Canada. CHEAP!
Scot Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 12:39 AM   #5
Flyin' Bob

Default Airliner Headset

I love the headset. I've using it for almost 10 years.
I can't use a belt pack so it works great for me.
I've even worked out a couple of comedy bits that work specifically with this headset.
Occasionally I run into the situation where a school principal introducing me for a show doesn't have a mike. I hand him mine, he does the intro, hands it back and we're good to go in seconds.

I called customer service at Samson today. The micro will not be available until July. I'm buying one as soon as it's out.

I'll post a product review here.

Last edited by Flyin' Bob; 05-28-10 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Grammar
Flyin' Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 01:45 AM   #6
gav

I also love the samson airline. I've had 2 in the last 10 years. After a few years of use, I broke the switch off the first one as I'd put it away sweaty and it rusted closed. It still worked after that, just no on off switch. I only replaced it because a new one was on offer for a bargain price. I also had cause in my show to take it off and give it to a volunteer for one bit, it's very handy that way.I hate the bodypack wires on other mikes. Only once did I have a problem at a fest with interference from another act.
I'm keen to see what the new one is like as the fact it's less visible is appealing.
I don't like the fact it has a rechargeable battery, because there are always those times you discover the battery is flat just before the show. If it's easily replaceable, that's ok, can always have a fully charged spare on hand.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 04:23 AM   #7
Mr Qwirk
... ___ ...

I don't like the idea of having something emitting high frequency radio waves so close to my brain...

my hip maybe, but not my brain, I would kinda like to have use of that particular organ in my old age.
Mr Qwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 04:45 AM   #8
gav

I use it less often than most people use a mobile phone, and a mobile phone emits a much stronger signal.
I doubt it's going to cause any trouble with my brain, certainly nothing compared to the damage drugs and alcohol have caused it.
Old 05-30-10, 04:53 AM   #9
Mr Qwirk
... ___ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav View Post
I use it less often than most people use a mobile phone, and a mobile phone emits a much stronger signal.
I doubt it's going to cause any trouble with my brain, certainly nothing compared to the damage drugs and alcohol have caused it.
lol, good call, however in the summer time, I will sometimes perform upto 20 shows a week, as we all do. and 20 hours with something so close to my head is not for me. although in saying that, I am sure that Samson have done their home work and have put some lead, or other type of reflector between the transmitter and the head.

I have too much time on my hands, to be thinking about this kind of thing.... yay for winter....
Old 07-20-10, 04:47 AM   #10
MarcRocs
TheOneManBand Marc Dobson

I'm a singer so my mic needs may be higher then some on this forum BUT, I've never worked with a Samson wireless unit I've liked and that's over 20 years playing guitar and singing in many, many scenerios. All Samson's I've used or worked with have something quirky with them. Samson makes almost all low-mid range products and that's reflected in the price.

I got 2 Sennhiser G2 unit's. I got no complaints. If I had to use other wireless unit's I'd go with Shure. I've seen the camera, small transmitter and receiver in action, great light weight solution.

I use a Crown 311 headset mic, it's one of the best out there. Country man makes a good one too, but then again I'm a singer not a speaker.

Only thing I can add is some practical on the job problem solving... if your wireless ever cuts out on you cause of distance or line of sight problems a great quick fix is to get some wire, almost any wire and tape (the bare wire, need to strip it just enough) onto the antenas of the receiver. I've had regular 120v electric wire hanging off my antennas for years now. If I take the wire off I loose 20 or 30 feet and get line of site problems.
MarcRocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 02:02 AM   #11
FireNix

Any feedback on this units quality/performance?
Would be very interested to hear as im thinking of buying one I found cheap on Ebay - only $150! US
Old 03-30-11, 05:55 AM   #12
Dallas
Pier 60 Clearwater, Fl

Send a message via MSN to Dallas
Default The Airline Micro

I purchase one of these and returned it the next day. There is no gain control on the reciever and I would get alot of feedback and no way to control it.

It has telescoping antenna's on the reciever which I am sure will break over time with the amount of use it would get in my posession.
Old 03-31-11, 12:43 AM   #13
Mr Qwirk
... ___ ...

Hey Rob,

a friend of mine has one and thinks it's great. it's tiny.... and from what iv'e seen, it sounds great. I don't think you can really go wrong for only $150.
Old 04-19-11, 06:50 AM   #14
Phil B

Hi,

I hope someone can help, and please excuse me if I'm being a bit slow or asking a silly question.
What do you use for the receiver with this mikes on the street? They seem to come with a mains power one, but how would you do that without a power supply?

Cheers,
Phil
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 06:53 AM   #15
gav

Says this on the website.

Despite its modest size and inconspicuous appearance, the AR2 receiver boasts meticulous engineering that provides AirLine Micro with professional sound reproduction and exceptional reliability. Like the AH2 transmitter, the AR2 also houses a rechargeable battery that will offer about 7 hours of operation. A 3.5mm balanced mic/line level output and USB DC power input round out the features on this pioneering receiver.
Old 04-19-11, 07:07 AM   #16
Phil B

Ok, that's great.
Thank you for your quick reply!

I was also looking at the older system on E-bay, like this..
http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...2015&brandID=1

I guess you couldn't use that on the street?
Old 04-19-11, 07:13 AM   #17
Phil B

Just done a bit more research,(I guess I should do that before posting, please excuse me) and I've found the one's with battery receivers.
Old 04-20-11, 02:57 AM   #18
gav

Even the larger receiver that you linked to can run off 12 volts dc. I have one, and it runs off the same battery as my amp.
Old 04-20-11, 08:44 AM   #19
Phil B

That's good to know.
Thank you so much.
Old 05-21-11, 02:22 PM   #20
Minnie Maniac

Default your ears

Hi Rob,
I tried one of these on and to my surprise it actually felt like it would stay on my ear. I have exceptionally small ears, I'm sure smaller than yours. I have never had a headset actually fit my head at all so I custom design them to make them smaller. I actually think this unit would do the job.

BUT I did read a review which said it would drop out over a short range and it might have feedback issues. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it!
Toni