performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 06-15-10, 08:47 PM   #1
martin ewen

Lurk Holland Michigan, any background?

www.downtownholland.com

The popular Street Performance Series takes place in Downtown Holland every Thursday night from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm this summer! During the Series, artists from all backgrounds perform free for the public, filling the streets of Downtown with musicians, aerial acrobats, jugglers, dancers, balloon twisters, theatrical troupes, magicians, caricature artists, and much, much more.

Young and old alike are invited to head Downtown every Thursday night to delight in the sights and sounds of the street performers. Every week is different than the week before! The 2010 Series takes place from June 10 to August 26 and features almost 30 performing artists and groups each week. The Series is free to attend, but tipping the performers is highly encouraged!

The Street Performer Series is supported by the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs and the Holland Area Arts Council.

Admission: Free

Organized by: Downtown Holland
http://www.downtownholland.com
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 08:50 PM   #2
Isabella

I've done this for a few years and we will be there twice or three times this year.

- The series only runs on Thursday nights. I don't know anyone who has busked other times, though our permits all allow us to be there when we like with a few restrictions.

-cool people, very family crowd.

- Worth it for us when we are in town for something else, probably not big enough to do as a special trip.

- I live 40 minutes away and would be delighted to house people passing through town.

- The schedule has been made for this summer, but they often have last-minute cancellations.

- The organizers are cool people who are really working to make this a good experience for both performers and audience - for example, the city permit specifically excludes "dangerous" or "appearing to be dangerous" acts - so they made us part of the series by setting us up in a courtyard that is private property just off the main street and we get to do our regular show while they honor the letter of the law.

Holler if you want to know more!

Martin, I think they would love you
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 11:11 PM   #3
Juggalicious

Send a message via AIM to Juggalicious

is this workable in october?

I have new juggling clubs.
Juggalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 02:37 PM   #4
gsidhe

Just a clarification in Isabella's post- They updated the ordinances this year so that you can do dangerous acts with permission of the police department (Which must be clarified when you submit your permit).
Everything else she posted is absolutely correct.
I would not make a special trip, but if you are in the area it is worth doing. This is my third year of performing out there and it is always a good time.
As for working off of the scheduled street performer days...I don't know. I would look at the cities schedule of events and try to get out there when something else is happening. The folks out there do spend a lot of time downtown, but I would really try to hit them when they are out en masse.
Gwyd
gsidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 10:51 AM   #5
strollivarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin ewen View Post
www.downtownholland.com

The popular Street Performance Series takes place in Downtown Holland every Thursday night from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm this summer! During the Series, artists from all backgrounds perform free for the public, filling the streets of Downtown with musicians, aerial acrobats, jugglers, dancers, balloon twisters, theatrical troupes, magicians, caricature artists, and much, much more.

Young and old alike are invited to head Downtown every Thursday night to delight in the sights and sounds of the street performers. Every week is different than the week before! The 2010 Series takes place from June 10 to August 26 and features almost 30 performing artists and groups each week. The Series is free to attend, but tipping the performers is highly encouraged!

The Street Performer Series is supported by the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs and the Holland Area Arts Council.

Admission: Free

Organized by: Downtown Holland
http://www.downtownholland.com
I've played accross the street from the city market there on PRIVATE property. Never had anyone asked me to leave or get a permit. You really don't need written permission from the property owner- ANYWHERE you play-any city !As long as you have verbal permission from the property owner - no one is going to ask you to leave-even the police. If the property owner does not want to give you written permission- they will o.k. your presence to a policeman who asks them. Just tell the police to ask the property owner. (be sure you know the name of the owner)Many property owners will not want to give written permission in order to prevent the paper from being copied and used by others for other purposes Legally- if it should ever go to court- verbal permission will protect you. If you tell the property owner that you are going to court- he will give you written permission to protect you-for use at the court only. So if you ever go to court- be safe and get permission in writing.

Mike

strollivarius@yahoo.com
strollivarius is offline   Reply With Quote