performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 12-02-10, 05:01 PM   #1
Michael Neal McGee
Michael "Pops" McGee

Question Phoenix Arizona Light Rail Platforms

I am told Phoenix, Arizona does not require a permit for musicians (maybe even bagpipers) to busk. The new Metro Light Rail System goes through the downtown heart of Phoenix. Does anyone know of any restrictions to performing non-amplified music on those light rail platforms? I haven't seen it done, but then there is not a lot of busking going on here anyway.

Michael Neal McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 08:33 AM   #2
Michael Neal McGee
Michael "Pops" McGee

Lurk Light rail platforms in Phoenix

Last night was the monthly First Friday Street Festival in Phoenix. There were no buskers on any of the light rail platforms, but there is a small plaza at the Roosevelt and Central platform. An amplified rock group set their pitch there and seemed to be doing well. Headed east across Roosevelt there were mucisians every several hundred feet, guitar players, steel drum, rockgroups etc. all the way from Central to Fifth. The crowd was huge, and the police had closed off one lane of traffic each way to accomodate the pedestrians.
Old 12-06-10, 03:10 PM   #3
DavidDoyleEnt

So what did you find out? Any permits needed? I might going through Phoenix, AZ later this year.
DavidDoyleEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 03:20 PM   #4
Michael Neal McGee
Michael "Pops" McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDEntertainment View Post
So what did you find out? Any permits needed? I might going through Phoenix, AZ later this year.
No permits required in Phoenix. First Friday Street festival best pitch in Phoenix the first Friday of each month. Starts around 6pm, and really gets moving by 7 pm. "Saturday After" is pretty weak. This assumes you are not working the games at the ball park etc.

Going further east along the rail, Tempe does have a $10 permit. Mill avenue area has good crowds.

Have yet to see anyone busking on the platforms in any of the three cities (Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa).

You also might want to check out Murphy Park in Glendale to see if there are any festivals during your visit.

Last edited by Michael Neal McGee; 12-06-10 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling/punctuation
Old 12-06-10, 03:34 PM   #5
DavidDoyleEnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Neal McGee View Post
No permits required in Phoenix. First Friday Street festival best pitch in Phoenix the first Friday of each month. Starts around 6pm, and really gets moving by 7 pm. "Saturday After" is pretty weak. This assumes you are not working the games at the ball park etc.

Going further east along the rail, Tempe does have a $10 permit. Mill avenue area has good crowds.

Have yet to see anyone busking on the platforms in any of the three cities (Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa).

You also might want to check out Murphy Park in Glendale to see if there are any festivals during your visit.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I'm from out here in Pittsburgh, PA, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with that part of the country. We should be up there sometime in March it looks like right now.

Is the Tempe permit gotten at City Hall, Police Station, etc?

Who do you talk to to be part of the First Friday thing? Or just show up?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-06-10, 03:49 PM   #6
Michael Neal McGee
Michael "Pops" McGee

Tempe Municipal Building. Just off Mill avenue. Call, you might even be able to do it by mail.

First Friday? Show up early, that's all. Best pitches/crowds along Roosevelt, between Central Avenue and Fifth Street (In my opinion).

Drop us a line as the time gets closer and maybe I can be of some help.

Last edited by Michael Neal McGee; 12-06-10 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-06-10, 03:51 PM   #7
DavidDoyleEnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Neal McGee View Post
Tempe Municipal Building. Just off Mill avenue. Call, you might even be able to do it by mail.

First Friday? Show up early, that all. Best pitches/crowds along Roosevelt, between Central Avenue and fifth Street (In my opinion).

Drop us a line as the time gets closer and maybe I can be of some help.
Sounds great!! Thanks! If anything I'm always up for meeting up w other performers over drinks to share stories.
Old 12-06-10, 04:06 PM   #8
Michael Neal McGee
Michael "Pops" McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDEntertainment View Post
Sounds great!! Thanks! If anything I'm always up for meeting up w other performers over drinks to share stories.
After a quick phone call to Tempe I have been told that the permit applies to all of Tempe's parks etc. EXCEPT the Mill Avenue area, which they do not require permits for. The only requirement on Mill Avenue is that music must not be amplified and you must not interfere with the flow of traffic, which considering the layout, is just not an issue.
Old 01-26-11, 03:41 AM   #9
Irina

I've been taking Phoenix light-rail and never saw any buskers there...I do not think there's any business in Phoenix anyway, and with all the immigration hoopla I would not want to busk there anyway - unless I am booked for a festival. Tempe would be much better, or take Greyhound to Flagstaff - that's a really fun town!
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote