performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 12-18-10, 12:00 PM   #1
omnigut

Send a message via Skype™ to omnigut
Default Busking Pitches

Hi everyone, I know that there are several other posts that mention good pitches, but I have quite specific needs. I'm filming a documentary about buskers all over the world, and have chosen roughly 40 spots to go to (you can see the map here). I'm going to the following venues (estimated dates with them). I need to know:

1. Which squares, streets, plazas and parks are best in these places?
2. Where are there weird laws governing street performers?
3. Are you going to be in any of these places when we're there?
4. Would you like to be part of the documentary (can we film you?)
5. Are you available for an interview in London at the moment?
6. Do you have or can you suggest contacts for any of these places?

Okay, check out The Busking Project, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Nick x

LONDON, ENGLAND
Leaving on March 8th, 2011!

LISBON, PORTUGAL
March 10-14

MARRAKECH, MOROCCO
March 16th - 21st

BARCELONA, SPAIN
March 23rd - 27th

ROME, ITALY
March 28th - April 3rd

ATHENS, GREECE
April 5th - 9th

ISTANBUL, TURKEY
April 10th - 14th

CAIRO, EGYPT
April 21st - 25th

INDIA
Mumbai, India
New Delhi, India
Calcutta, India
April 26th - May 6th

JAKARTA, INDONESIA
May 8th - 12th

SINGAPORE
May 16th - 20th

BANGKOK, THAILAND
May 24th - 28th

HONG KONG
June 3rd - 7th

TOKYO, JAPAN
June 14th - 21st

SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
June 23rd - 27th

BEIJING, CHINA
June 30th - July 5th

RUSSIA
Moscow, Russia
St Petersburg, Russia
July 12th - July 21st

STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
July 23rd - 27th

OSLO, NORWAY
July 28th - August 1st

PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
August 3rd - 7th

PARIS, FRANCE
TBD

LONDON, ENGLAND
TBD

USA
Louisiana, USA
New York, USA
Boston, USA
TBD

CANADA
Montreal, Canada
Toronto, Canada
TBD

CHICAGO, USA
TBD

VANCOUVER, CANADA
TBD

USA
San Francisco
Los Angeles
TBD

MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
TBD

PANAMA CITY, PANAMA
TBD

QUITO, ECUADOR
TBD

SANTIAGO, CHILE
TBD

BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
TBD

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
TBD
omnigut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 08:29 PM   #2
nick nickolas

What no Australia/NZ Mate ??

Coming down under ?

Nick
Old 12-19-10, 12:51 PM   #3
omnigut

Haha - I'd love to go there. In fact, missing most of Africa and Australasia are our two biggest crimes. The problem with both was travel time; if you're avoiding planes and trying not to go back on yourself, both those areas are difficult for different reasons—one for danger, the other because it's in the middle of nowhere
Old 12-19-10, 01:07 PM   #4
Cate Emily

If you're looking for a good place to stop between Chicago and San Francisco, I'd say check out Boulder CO. It's about half way and has a healthy scene. Also if you're in Montreal, I'd say swing by Quebec City. I think the street scene is better in QC than in Montreal anyway.
Cate Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 07:08 PM   #5
Lee Nelson

I would recommend you solicit some information from street performers on where to go.
Africa has a giant scene and ancient culture of street performing. Aus and NZ are hotspots of contemporary western style street performing.

Honestly your tour dates seem much more like they are scratching your personal travel desires than they are really attempting to learn anything about street performing.

INDIA
Mumbai, India
New Delhi, India
Calcutta, India
April 26th - May 6th

10 days in 3 Indian cities. Indian street performers have their own guilds for fucks sake. Seriously ancient artform. Its naive at best and insulting at worst to think of doing a documentary with any sort of justice using a timeframe like yours.

Enjoy your holiday.
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 08:44 PM   #6
omnigut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cate Emily View Post
If you're looking for a good place to stop between Chicago and San Francisco, I'd say check out Boulder CO. It's about half way and has a healthy scene. Also if you're in Montreal, I'd say swing by Quebec City. I think the street scene is better in QC than in Montreal anyway.
I really want to go to QC. Aside from knowing a scotch-loving and cynical Quebequois, I've also heard good things about the scene there. Still, Montreal is pretty lively. It'll depend in the end on cost and the location scouting; depending on where we can stay and who we know before turning up, we'll do one or the other.
Old 12-19-10, 09:53 PM   #7
omnigut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Nelson View Post
I would recommend you solicit some information from street performers on where to go.
Africa has a giant scene and ancient culture of street performing. Aus and NZ are hotspots of contemporary western style street performing.

Honestly your tour dates seem much more like they are scratching your personal travel desires than they are really attempting to learn anything about street performing.

INDIA
Mumbai, India
New Delhi, India
Calcutta, India
April 26th - May 6th

10 days in 3 Indian cities. Indian street performers have their own guilds for fucks sake. Seriously ancient artform. Its naive at best and insulting at worst to think of doing a documentary with any sort of justice using a timeframe like yours.

Enjoy your holiday.
Lee, I understand your scepticism: we're missing 98% of Africa (the birth of Mankind, among other things); Australia and New Zealand, where every other travelling busker seems to be from); almost the entire Middle East, perhaps the best place in the world for a historical perspective; and exploring too little of South America.

And I’m well aware of the off-handish way Westerners treat "exotic" cultures in foreign lands. We aren’t even close to believing that we’re going to do India justice in 10 days. But with the help of Jamie Catto, whose work, 1 Giant Leap, attempted to make the world seem somewhat smaller through comparing madness, music and traditions, we hope to shed light on our societies’ cultural outputs (and restraints) by looking at those who may be less famous, less cared for, less comfortable, less protected, and yet no less valuable to society: our street artists.

Phew, what a sentence!

The problem is, when you're trying to look at the global phenomenon by hitting as broad a base as possible, it's impossible to stay in any one place for too long. And we shouldn't, either—better people than us have looked at each of the world’s metropolises.

Instead, we're hoping to build on their work, and yet be the first to attempt, however superficially, to get some kind of worldwide perspective on street performance. And to do that, we're going to rely on people like those on this site (and you!) to help us get into these places and begin to connect. As helpful as it might be, there’s only so much drink can do…

First of all we're hitting local universities, trying to find local film students who want to get involved. Through them—and other artists/performers who live or have lived in each location—we're hoping to avoid being three white, English-speaking Westerners with no clue what's going on around us.

Another main area of support is these here tubes. Forums, google, websites…people like yourself. People who can give us advice. How else are we going to find out about the guilds in India (and who we should meet) before we get there? I mean, two of us are working on the project full-time, and another one is about to start, but it's still not enough. If you could help us make the most of India, we'd be absolutely in your debt.

The same applies to everyone else. I might just be fooling myself with my own spiel, but should this project be at all successful, we have an opportunity to open people's eyes to the history, politics, issues and culture surrounding this tradition. I've filmed street performers for years, and even lived with one for 14. I’d love for the next time someone passed him in the subway they didn’t just fling a dollar at him, but did so with some respect for his work, for his career. I’m more into this project than I have been for anything else.

I’m sorry for having typed for so long here, I really didn’t mean to when I started. But please, if you have information that you think we should know – could you either post it here or email us?

- with the utmost respect

nick@thebuskingproject.com
Old 12-20-10, 11:16 AM   #8
Kate Awesome

See you in Toronto!

I'm usually at Yonge & Dundas or Harbourfront.

I do agree with Lee, however; you really should at least touch on African street performing. It's an amaaaaaazing scene that I've had the pleasure to participate and be involved in myself.
Kate Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 01:39 PM   #9
omnigut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Awesome View Post
See you in Toronto!

I'm usually at Yonge & Dundas or Harbourfront.

I do agree with Lee, however; you really should at least touch on African street performing. It's an amaaaaaazing scene that I've had the pleasure to participate and be involved in myself.
Kate, perhaps I should have come to see you when I was there (video 1, video 2). (is this you?)

And yeah, we really regret the Africa thing. We were just finding it really hard to find a method of travelling through Africa without taking planes, without doubling back on ourselves, and without spending a long, long time on busses and trains. Still, for a future trip, no doubt.
Old 12-20-10, 06:13 PM   #10
Kate Awesome

AHAHA oh man, I totally forgot Brett put that video up..
yup. that's me.

I'm the Marie Antoinette statue you filmed in Toronto. You totally damn well should have come to see me, you missed a good show!

But, that's okay, you apparently overlooked all of the mime artists.
Old 12-21-10, 08:46 AM   #11
omnigut

You were great. I remember we got some good photos, but no video. *sad face*

We were a little complacent on the trip. However, since then I've been enlightened, and am sure not to make the same mistake again! In fact, we just did an interview with Cady Vishniac, a living statue in Salem. It's not perfect, but it's a start...
Old 12-21-10, 09:18 AM   #12
Kate Awesome

hahah no way!
I remember giving Cady start-up advice yeeeeeeears ago! nice one!
Old 01-20-11, 02:48 PM   #13
Irina

If you plan to perform in Moscow - they have famous Arbat street, which is pedestrian and street artists and buskers work there, if cops bother you - just give them some small $$, all buskers in Russia bribe police...It may be better if you could find some "Peace and frienship with foreign counties" organisation there to help you and even give you place to stay - this way you'll be 'official" and have friends/interpretors there, not many Russians speak English...
There are tonns of pitches in Paris, I love Monmartre - either on top of the hill or near Carousel, nobody will bother you, but keep passport with you at all times, as they may check it to see if you entered France legally.
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 08:53 AM   #14
omnigut

Default Hi All

Almost on our way!

www.thebuskingproject.com/map

If any of you have other advice for locations on our map (especially the more exotic/non-european ones), we'd love to hear from you. 9 days until lift-off!
Old 02-28-11, 09:06 AM   #15
omnigut

Sorry, I would just like to add, we're fundraising on kickstarter and still need some help...please check the link in my signature
Old 03-01-11, 11:04 AM   #16
Zanzibar

hi,

for paris, there will be more performers in september than in august : you can check sarlat in the dordogne area of france, this is a big summer pitch , and 'le festival d'Aurillac' 16-20 august (www.aurillac.net Tel: 04 71 43 43 70) will have a lot of french street performers.

for london :

covent garden street performers association new website:

http://coventgardenstreetperformers.com

the main pitches are covent garden, south bank (near london eye), trafalgar sq

let me know if you want more info for france...
Zanzibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 06:38 PM   #17
kennethkahn

If you decide to come to San Francisco, please look me up. I go by Kenny the Clown.
(510)289-2323.

Thank you.
kennethkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 02:49 AM   #18
martin ewen

Lurk

These are my questions.

What is your definition of a fiscal agent?

What do you think qualifies you to recognize the qualities, definitions and cultural significance of street performance? Given the answer to the previous question I'd like to follow with; what prior work have you done in this area and for how long.

Other questions.

"a book, a DVD, a webite, a community, and a comprehensive look at street performance worldwide."

Please if you could elaborate on what you mean by " a community"
We both know this community already exists unlike say your DVD or book.
In what way will the community you refer to differ from essentially two lists, possibly three. One,a customer base, two, free content providers and three, unpaid techs (local film school input)

You will have to forgive us but having spent collectively a couple of hundred years interacting with those curious about our cultural relevance one thing has been predictably uniform. There is always more in it for the protagonists than their subject matter.

Accepting this, what does anyone associated with your project have to gain?

Thanks. Oh and I don't mean this to appear adversarial . Not like that out and out bruiser Lee nelson.

No I'm just asking you the questions that I know we collectively would enjoy you answering.

Here is some background content for free that is very relevant.
Nick, myself, and I suspect lee as well as many of our tribe have a definition of ourselves a celebration of that definition and it is that we are 49% full of bullshit. Why we celebrate that is that our audiences and everyone not us is 51%.

We don't exploit this difference so much as spend our lives selflessly conscious of our own bullshit while in short bursts distracting our audiences from theirs.

We have our detectors pointed your way and I have asked you questions that will test your quotient . Because if nothing else we know how to keep each other amused.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 03:31 PM   #19
Scot Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin ewen View Post
These are my questions.

What is your definition of a fiscal agent?

What do you think qualifies you to recognize the qualities, definitions and cultural significance of street performance? Given the answer to the previous question I'd like to follow with; what prior work have you done in this area and for how long.

Other questions.

"a book, a DVD, a webite, a community, and a comprehensive look at street performance worldwide."

Please if you could elaborate on what you mean by " a community"
We both know this community already exists unlike say your DVD or book.
In what way will the community you refer to differ from essentially two lists, possibly three. One,a customer base, two, free content providers and three, unpaid techs (local film school input)

You will have to forgive us but having spent collectively a couple of hundred years interacting with those curious about our cultural relevance one thing has been predictably uniform. There is always more in it for the protagonists than their subject matter.

Accepting this, what does anyone associated with your project have to gain?

Thanks. Oh and I don't mean this to appear adversarial . Not like that out and out bruiser Lee nelson.

No I'm just asking you the questions that I know we collectively would enjoy you answering.

Here is some background content for free that is very relevant.
Nick, myself, and I suspect lee as well as many of our tribe have a definition of ourselves a celebration of that definition and it is that we are 49% full of bullshit. Why we celebrate that is that our audiences and everyone not us is 51%.

We don't exploit this difference so much as spend our lives selflessly conscious of our own bullshit while in short bursts distracting our audiences from theirs.

We have our detectors pointed your way and I have asked you questions that will test your quotient . Because if nothing else we know how to keep each other amused.
What he said.
Scot Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 06:23 PM   #20
martin ewen

What he said I said.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote