performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 10-22-05, 08:26 PM   #1
circulocallejeroBCN

Angry Greystones Arts Festival Rant and pity

Hi. Is it fair that a festival who promises to organise and pay for our return taxi to the airport for our return to Barcelona after the festival should cock up and then deny that they should pay the 80 Euro taxi journey which we had to layout (which according to them, by them would have cost more).

We were very lucky to get someone to take us at that unearthly hour after the festivals "planned" taxi never turned up. We were in Eire and had to get a flight back to Barcelona. The kind fellow who took us made the difference between us having to pay even more for a later flight and an extra nights accomodation in Dublin.

The festival organisers were not quick to apologise and I don't imagine they would have foot the bill of the missed flight and extra nights accomodation due to the absence of their promised taxi. They sure as hell have not paid the 80 Euros taxi fare yet.

Pity.

circulocallejeroBCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 08:35 AM   #2
zoobie
www.BuskerAlley.com

It's of my opinion that these festivals make a bundle in organization alone. I'm just starting to learn the background of how things really work. They probably pulled the rug out from underneath everyone to pocket more loot. Creeps...
Old 01-05-11, 07:52 PM   #3
marrigoshiy
Carnival artist

Default Assumption is the mother of all **** ups

Sorry Zoobie and I know this a few years late, but I've been working with greystones as a performer and workshop artist for the past several years. The Festival is non-profit and none of the members get any money as they are all local volunteers. The budget comes from sponsors who live locally and some years they may even get funding from the arts council or association of Irish festivals. All of the money goes on logistics, materials, accomodation, hard costs, importing foreign acts and hiring national acts. As their local parade workshop artist I can tell you that any moneys that ever came my way were soley for the purchase of materials because all the local arts organizations work voluntarily. The committee is made up of local volunteers who do not get a wage and I know the director personally as a friend. She has regularly dug into her own pocket to provide extra money for the festival so I take your suggestion that anyone would pocket money for themselves as a deep insult to the hard work that she or anyone else does.

circulocallejero, Which year was the festival you attended? was it 2005? If so then I had the same problem with the taxis. I used the same company the festival used that year and my taxi never turned up either. When I called them again they told me I had never booked. (I had asked for 8 seat taxi to fit my costumes) when it finally arrived, I had two 4 seat taxis so I ended up paying for two and breaking my costumes trying to fit them in! This is not the festivals fault but the unfortunate problem with many Irish taxi companies. It's not the first time this company has failed me. €80 from greystones to the airport is allot cheaper than it should be. Normally you would pay over €100. You were very lucky with the nice driver that you got. I'm sure the director was sorry and I really don't think she meant to leave it that long to apologise. She Mostly runs the festival by herself because no one else knows how to do it properly after all they are volunteers. That leaves allot of work for her. I don't think the festival was great that year. I think it rained for all 3 days and allot of performances were spoiled.

I'm sorry to say also that the festival has not been running since 2007 due to lack of funding and there is no sign of it starting up again soon. We're trying to think of ideas to get funding but it may be a while. I care about the community in greystones and any of the visitors to the festival and if I had €80 to give then I would be happy to re-imburse you. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you there. It was my second year with them and I didn't really know anyone.
marrigoshiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 07:29 PM   #4
stickman

Sorry to hear the festival has shut down. Had a lot of fun there, despite a misconception at the start. It's a loss to local Irish festival scene. Hope to see it pop up again in future. Know at least one performer and friend from there working today because of its existence.

Stickman
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 08:26 PM   #5
marrigoshiy
Carnival artist

hmm I recognise your face from somewhere????? quite possibly the top of grafton street in dublin involving chainsaw juggling and humiliating some guy by having a girl stand off a box onto his back???? or maybe it was Edinburgh fringe.

Yes, very sad Greystones 25 year reign is over. It was my performance birthplace. Gave me an outlet to show off my costumes and got me jobs doing kids workshops and corporate PR stunts. I think allot of people got jobs because of them. One of the few moderate sized festivals that give 'Blow ins' a chance to prove their skills. Certainly felt like a family to me. ;(
Old 01-09-11, 09:58 PM   #6
stickman

Most likely both. Over in Australia at the moment, box still in tow behind my motorcycle these days. Had to take the guy's role out of the show, though I must admit I "did" like that bit. The Americans couldn't handle it. Lost the artist side of it, and called it immoral. If you run into Gráinne please give her a hug for me!

Stickman
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 09:49 AM   #7
marrigoshiy
Carnival artist

Default Grainne

I will pass on hugs to Grainne for you, I should be meeting up for coffee in the next two weeks. Can you get the guy back in the show for Oz audience? I have noticed american audience are overly PC except San Francisco, they love it!