performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 04-30-11, 01:47 PM   #1
bsarafian12
Bruce Sarafian

Default Canadian Work Permit

Just wondering if anyone has personal recent knowledge if I need a work permit for Canada. I have two 5 day contracts this summer in Canada and at one point it seemed like I needed a work permit and then (i believe they just added to their site) it seemed like 'performing artists' does not need a work permit. I was told by the first event to show the LMO number to customs and that should do it.
Just wondering if anyone had any input from experience. Seems like some new things took effect earlier this month regarding this.

Thanks
Bruce
bsarafian12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 07:28 PM   #2
Isabella

You might search on this, there's a whole thread on it.

It helps to get a letter of invitation from the festival.

You don't need a permit if you are American, you are coming in for a short-term/one-off gig, and you are working outdoors. The guys in the booth will not know this and you will have to go in and tell the guys in the office. They will take their sweet time looking it up, then let you go on your way, so allow extra border-crossing time and have your contract and letter of invitation ready.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 11:20 AM   #3
Irina

You do not need a work visa to get buskers permit in Toronto, they do not ask for any ID at all, but you need a local address (hostel is OK). It used to be about 30$ a year, but it is not good for Waterfront - you need to audition for them and be in their program. If you are bringing any props to Canada without work visa it is a very good idea to have a printed e-mail form somebody in Canada "Thank you for volunteering" - it can be totally fake thing, but you need a story why are you bringing all this stuff - like volunterring for charity show etc etc When I went to BuskerFest in Victoria the management told me that I do not need a work visa, but I got a letter from a friend just in case mentioning VOLUNTEERING for BuskerFest - sure enough, they checked it and let me in - but with a lot of questions if I am supposed to make any $$ - I said no-no-no, I am just painting performers for a photo-shoot for free....Never mention any tips or donations going through Canadian customs - they are really paranoid about foreigners making $$ there, several friends of mine were turned away from Canadian border for trying to bring in balloons and face-paint! This is not Europe, no 'green line", they do check your luggage, so be prepared to answer questions...It is a little better if you go on a car, they hardly ever search cars.
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 03:15 PM   #4
bsarafian12
Bruce Sarafian

Thanks for the replies. I learned a lot about this. One of these events, I flew in and had absolutely no problems. The second one I drove and had some problems. They DO search cars for sure. They are very strict on what comes and goes into their country, why you are there, what you are doing, etc, etc. I also believe all of those 'little' questions are input in their computers as well. It all ended well and the gigs were awesome. Thanks again for the info.
Bruce Sarafian
bsarafian12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 11:27 PM   #5
Mark Lewis

Foreign Entertainers do not require a work permit to perform in Canada. At one time they did and have to pay $150 at the border. This no longer applies. The only problem is that the immigration authorities at the border are not aware of their own regulations and have in fact turned people away anyway. I would advise printing out this extract from the Canadian Government website and show it to whoever examines you at the port of entry.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ap...it.asp#artists

Last edited by Mark Lewis; 02-01-12 at 08:43 AM.
Mark Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 12:30 AM   #6
Isabella

I've been looking for exactly that info for ages! Thanks for the link
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 08:05 AM   #7
Mark Lewis

You are welcome. Alas the situation is not reciprocated for Canadian entertainers wishing to perform in the United States which is a great pity. Canada looks favourably on the performing arts in general.
Mark Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote