performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > CLIENT/AGENT/AGENCY ISSUES

Old 12-02-02, 06:40 PM   #1
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young
Post Exposure Talent Agency

A few (or a couple) weeks ago I recieved a card from Exposure talent agencie's "scout" after struggling through a street show on venice beach. I called it and aranged an apointment to go in and talk to them. The meeting was set for last wednesday, but I called them and canceled because I decided to go to the desert and get some space for the week. When he asked if I wanted to rescedule I said no, and that I was leaving LA for the season, I would call him back when I returned.
They called back and left a message with my roomate that I sould get in touch with them again before I leave town. So I gave them a ring today and talked to Rod.
I told Rod that I would very much like to go in and meet him if nothing else but to find out what kind of promo things he likes to have and establish a relationship with the Agency.
Rod tells me that they represent all of the acts on the Venice boardwalk, and that they did not specificly recruit all of them (giving me some specific examples of acts far more successfull than mine which he doens't like and didn't recruit, rather they had to seek him out). Rod said that I got a card because he likes me and thinks I'm "all that", and that mabey I should stay in town. He seemed to be implying that my lack of promo material didn't really matter that much.
A lot of people do a lot of talking in this town, and I have learned to not trust people based on what they say. I am going in to talk to Rod tomorrow at his office in Culliver City and I was wondering what kind of questions I should ask him, and what I should be looking out for. Also, does anybody know anything about this particular agency?

The buisness card Reads:
EXPOSURE
models and talent entertainment rep. -MGMT
Print/ Commercial/ Theatrical
(phone #'s, names etc. {Rod is the CEO})

Thanks

[ 12-02-2002: Message edited by: Evan Young ]</p>

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 07:41 PM   #2
martin ewen

Evan
Begin by asking a few questions. easy ones like.

How long has the agency been in business.

Who do they represent and who are some of their clients.

Ask for clarification about the extent of his representation of the other acts, how many times a year does he specifically represent for example any one of the other boardwalk acts. (he's in his office, he could always look it up)

Ask what he charges % wise

Ask them if they offer exclusive representation or can you also be represented by other agents who also work on your behalf.
If they are exclusive and you cannot accept other agents work what security can they offer you in the coming month in regards employment.
If their work is speculative then why in their opinion are the marketing tools you wish to focus on creating not of primary importance

Then ask them if they are aware that an international agency of the same name and working in the same markets has been working out of Kansas and supplying talent nationally and internationally for the past 25 years.
(just google exposure talent agency)

Finally, given that your plans are to leave LA, ask what concrete commitments and financial guarantees they might be offering in order to secure a mutually beneficial financial relationship. Then listen to LA-speak for the required 10 minutes then add " no, today, before I leave the office, and then do the same question again.
What they require from you is?...
What you require from them is?.... (employment I presume, contacts and development in your marketing also I would guess)
They might be straight up and helpful and it could work out well so be open to that possibility.

Do let us know what happens, its like an agencies trial by internet.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 08:00 PM   #3
Steven Ragatz

Evan,

Go for it man! You have to make your own success and when an opportunity offers itself to you, jump on it. Sometimes the littlest chances turn into big events further down the line.

Consider what is the worst that could happen? You could either not get any gigs with these guys (no loss), or they could get you one gig and screw you out of the money (only the loss of one show.) As I understand it, you're not doing many shows as it is, so the chance to even do one where you might get reamed probably sounds good! Been there - done that.

Then look at the best that could happen. You could get gigs that get gigs and you're on you way.

Go into your meeting honestly and present yourself the way that you wish to be perceived. Don't compare yourself to others, don't apologize for everything that you lack, and don't worry. Auditioning, meeting, shmoozing, talking the talk, are all skills to be learned the same way performing is. The simple act of going and having a meeting with an agent will take you closer to your goal. Show them that you are professional, dependable and on the cutting edge - a real up-and-comer. It's a business deal that is to benefit both parties, so treat it as such. You don't want to get screwed, but then, they don't want to either.

Don't be too quick to judge the book by its cover. After all, you don't have any glossy promo material... And if they're too sleazy for you, just politely thank them, get dressed, and be on your own way.

Best of luck.

Steven Ragatz
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 10:55 PM   #4
worldwidese

Evan, Don't be a dumb bunny and sign up for an exclusive with them. Or at least limit it to 3-6 months for indoor gigs. That way you don't (God forbid!)have to pay commission on your hat earnings, and yet you may get some indoor gigs that you normally would not get.

Talk to some of the other outdoor performers before you go, to see what you can find out about this Agency. My gut feeling is that if they truly "represent" ALL of the Beach performers, then it's more like a Mafia "protection". They seem a bit too keen.

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: worldwidese ]</p>
Old 12-03-02, 01:30 AM   #5
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Thumbs down

"... represent all the acts on Venice Beach." ?

Oh, Come on! ... then why are they workin' the beach?

Talk to Alfred (Two's a Crowd)...818 347-9003 ...
Old 12-03-02, 02:05 AM   #6
Evan Young

I know Alfred, I'll give him a call. Rod did mention that he represents the act as of recently.

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: Evan Young ]</p>

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Old 12-04-02, 03:17 AM   #7
Evan Young

I called Alfred and asked him what he knows. He told me some things that didn't sound promising.

I went to the office and met Rod, it was immediatly clear that Alfred was talking about a different agency. Rod told me that he's not real interested in Alfred because he has someone else that is like him and is better at it, so whatever.
It really wasn't what I was expecting at all. The office is in some townhouse, not an office building and no sighn or any indication that there is a buisness running inside. I was greeted at the door by a young guy (22) with long black hair and goth style attire. The office was crazy, the very young staff was very buisy calling talent to book them in auditions, aranging headshots to be sent out to casting directors etc etc. Clients were coming and going to drop off pictures and other things. The fax machine was running non stop, the walls were covered in head shots, there was a pet prarie dog in a cage, a ferrit on the poarch, a cat, and an old lady watching TV in the living room downstairs. Wow.
So, the meeting was like three hours long, it was hard to talk much at the begining because we kept getting interupted with other buisness, but we eventually got into it. It is not the kind of agent most of us have, he's a commercial, tv, modeling, and other mass media agent. So, he wouldn't be booking me to do my show, he would book me as a juggler (or just a model/actor) to be in print ads, commercials, tv shows, movies, etc., and would be my representation for LA/New York. he would get part of any money I make in any of those areas, but nothing from my street show or bookings for events and such, or anything in the midwest. As I understand it this is pretty standard for this area of the entertainment industry.
While I was there a wizard from the magic castle came in to drop off some pictures and I was introduced. This wizard guy has somthing to do with an agency that could book me out for events and stuff doing walk about or mabey even my actual show.
While I was sitting there the fax machine was running off the hook with jobs coming in. It's all on a network, so lots of other agents are getting these same faxes at the same time. Rod told me that he doesn't bother with any of the lower paying jobs (less than $700 a day), but if I wanted to come in everyday and look at them myself I am more than welcome to. there are hundreds of these jobs coming in every day.
He said that he won't send me around spending money on pictures, and in fact said that I can get around spending any money at all on those things. The cost of printing is the only thing that will allways cost.
So, I'm still leaving town, but I'm going to come back in late January and start in on this stuff. Rod says he will help me find work right away and get me off to a better start. He told me what kind of things I should be trying to get, (pictures, vidio etc), and other things that will help us get me work. I'm gonna keep in email contact with him while I'm gone.

As for the other venice acts, I didn't get much responce when I asked how much work he got them, but I could visibly see his other clients getting work while I was sitting there in his office. He represents about 350 people.

Does this sound good to you?

[ 12-04-2002: Message edited by: Evan Young ]</p>

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Old 12-04-02, 10:49 PM   #8
martin ewen

Thanks evan
You paint a lovely picture of the haphazard /tangental/ anything can happen/painstakingly casual heart of LA.
And it was worth it , you networked, that wizard could be a contact.
And you wrote your first short story.
And if you return you know where to start.
good one.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote