performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL FORUM INFORMATION > USERS GUIDE / SUGGESTIONS / FORUM FAQ

Old 04-08-12, 08:24 PM   #1
Irina

Default Buskers on Facebook?

Hi, I was looking for buskers groups on facebook, found Miss Pearl's buskers group and Kamp Katrina bunkhouse - this is artists/buskers colony in New Orleans - and THAT'S IT. Why don't we also have a facebook group for this forum? Easier to post pictures and facebook is a global addiction anyway...If you are on FB - send me friends request, I am "Irina Nola". Peace-Luv yall.
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 05:41 AM   #2
davidkaye

Personally, I'd rather not fill Mark Zuckerberg's wallet with any more money. I prefer hanging out here where I'm not bombarded by incessant advertising and monthly layout changes, and people I don't know wanting to "friend" me.
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-12, 03:32 PM   #3
Irina

Hanging out on buskers forum is great, but you can't post pictures/videos and this forum is limited to buskers themselves. The advantage of facebook is being able to keep in touch with venues, festivals, clients and potential clients...business networking. I do not use facebook for anything personal - I perfectly understand that there's no privacy whatsoever there, but there is no privacy on the Internet anyway!
Old 04-10-12, 10:57 PM   #4
davidkaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
Hanging out on buskers forum is great, but you can't post pictures/videos and this forum is limited to buskers themselves. The advantage of facebook is being able to keep in touch with venues, festivals, clients and potential clients...business networking. I do not use facebook for anything personal - I perfectly understand that there's no privacy whatsoever there, but there is no privacy on the Internet anyway!
In that case I wouldn't recommend Facebook at all. I'd recommend MySpace. It's way more performer-friendly.
Old 04-27-12, 03:34 PM   #5
nicklikesfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkaye View Post
In that case I wouldn't recommend Facebook at all. I'd recommend MySpace. It's way more performer-friendly.
Are you joking?
nicklikesfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 04:14 PM   #6
davidkaye

No, I'm not joking. On MySpace you can easily upload photos, videos, and MP3s that are easily accessible by users. When booking shows for venues I use MySpace all the time.
Old 04-28-12, 10:54 PM   #7
Irina

I spent several years on myspace and it was really good to get updates for the local bands, but I did not find it useful for advertising/networking. I never got any gigs from myspace, but I got several parties from 'friends of friends" on facebook, and met whole bunch of interesting local people - you become friends online, and them bump into each other at festivals and - viola! - more people to say hello to! Plus you subscribe to all the venues and bands you like and get invitations to events. We have this famous New Orleans second line dancer "Dancing Man 504" - he made himself super-famous with facebook - 4000 friends and he posts something every day - so whenever you check your daily newsfeed - Dancing Man 504 is ALWAYS there...and people tag his pictures, so it ends up in newsfeed too...well, he went from obscurity to acting in whole bunch of commercials on New Orleans TV, and made himself into 'local legend". I think facebook is awsesome for 'guerilla marketing" - and so is youtube, as youtube videos open up in google searches on top of the page, both in web and video-searches, but you need to write a good title/tags for the video, looking at it from the perspective of a potential client. ..
Old 04-29-12, 04:07 AM   #8
davidkaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
I spent several years on myspace and it was really good to get updates for the local bands, but I did not find it useful for advertising/networking. I never got any gigs from myspace,
Maybe you didn't but other have, which is why so many performers still use MySpace. It is super-simple to set up videos and MP3s, photos, band descriptions, and personalizations, far easlier than with Facebook. When I book shows I can get everything I need, including publicity photos from MySpace. With Facebook you often have to "friend" the performer, which is annoying in itself if you just want to grab some stuff to promote their show.

Quote:

but I got several parties from 'friends of friends" on facebook, and met whole bunch of interesting local people - you become friends online, and them bump into each other at festivals and - viola! - more people to say hello to!
I don't believe it is possible to become friends with people you have not physically met. This is why I do not accept friend offers on Facebook. It happens that I know over 300 people personally, and it's nice to know that they're doing and such, but this does not take the place of friendship. People who say otherwise are only kidding themselves. You can't be a friend unless you've seen that person at both their high points and low points. This has to happen in person. It's just simply too easy for people to appear way different online than in person.

Quote:

Plus you subscribe to all the venues and bands you like and get invitations to events.
Even before Facebook I was getting invitations to more events than I could possibly attend. Now it's overload. As I write this I'm checking my Facebook and I have received invitations for 28 different events for tomorrow (Sunday), shows and two dinners. Sheesh! I'm only expecting to see Misisipi Mike at the Glen Park street fair.

Quote:

We have this famous New Orleans second line dancer "Dancing Man 504" - he made himself super-famous with facebook - 4000 friends and he posts something every day - so whenever you check your daily newsfeed - Dancing Man 504 is ALWAYS there...and people tag his pictures, so it ends up in newsfeed too...
And I just looked over at his page and I had to log in to see anything. Facebook forces you to have an account before you can see any of this promotion. Sorry, but I still think MySpace is the cat's pajamas.
Old 08-06-12, 12:27 PM   #9
jeep caillouet

Heck I can't even begin to figure my my space page out!