performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL AND PITCH ETHICS

Old 11-18-02, 04:57 AM   #1
jugglermatt1

Post crane crashes into pitch

Last week a crane which was situated in the high street in La Coruņa fell down and demolished a house killing two old ladies .
As it happens , the crane was put up in the major busking pitch .Now that the crane is not there anymore the pitch is free .
The problem is , if I work it , am I profiteering from the grannys misfortunes ?
Would it seem a lack of respect ?
Can a street be in mourning ?
Or is it the job of a clown to go to places like this and lighten the mood of the place ?
jugglermatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-02, 06:13 AM   #2
fracksfreakshow

hopefully the old ladies don't haunt your pitch.

yep yep frack attack
fracksfreakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-02, 06:13 AM   #3
Peter
Unused member

The real question is, "Is it still a good pitch?" You are a performer making a living. I would not make jokes about the old ladies but go ahead and busk. If the tips have dropped off then move.
Peter
Old 11-18-02, 07:43 AM   #4
Pyromancer

Do you avoid roads where deadly accidents have happened?

Pyromancer
http://www.pyromancer.nl

[ 11-18-2002: Message edited by: Pyromancer ]</p>
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-02, 10:15 PM   #5
HiveQueen

If the area is filled with flyers publicizing the accident, or if there's a memorial offering (big pile of flowers, photos, candles, bottles of sherry, etc. left there by the emotional public), performing there might be seen as something like busking in a cemetary. If, on the other hand, it's just an empty pitch, it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference why the crane moved -- if it had just finished its job and moved on, you'd be all over the area.

I guess the main question is, do the passers-by KNOW that the only reason you're able to perform there is that some grannies were squished flat? If they don't know, it doesn't matter. If it's a small community and everyone knows and might be shocked, you can either pick a different pitch, or give a portion of your pitch to the womens' families / favorite charity / care and feeding of their thirty-eight cats (and if you're doing this, a) make sure the public knows about it and b) actually do it, otherwise you ARE being completely immoral instead of just opportunistic.)

DISCLAIMER so I'm not accused of being a capitalist pig: Granted, if you didn't know them and don't care about them and make money through the use of their memories, even if you give some of it to good causes, and are just giving the money as a sort of licensing fee, you're rather slimy regardless, which is not to say that a million other people aren't doing it and making a ton of money doing the same sort of thing on a far grander scale, which doesn't make it right but does make it justifiable to the american public [just noticed you're not in america, but the principle of the matter remains, and what do you think of Ferran Adria?], who, if they're going to spend money on the far scudzier scum they might as well spend it on you instead, you being if no more noble at least ignoble on a far smaller and more benign sort of scale, not to mention undoubtedly rather impoverished anyway rather than a multinational which doesn't even need the five bucks, as most of those very moving non-commercials shown on 9/11 of this year by companies not wishing to appear to be taking advantage of the tragedy for the purposes of making profits were done purely to manipulate the public image of the companies in question to make them appear all caring and as though they thought people were more important than profits though they were made only to protect profits and do you have any IDEA how much money the NY PR firm that made most of those commercials MADE off that particular event?

Wow, having the flu is like being on drugs, but not as much fun as other people seem to consider being on drugs to be.

I can't remember under what circumstances eukaryotic DNA codes for reverse transcriptase without the influence of retroviruses and I have a midterm tomorrow. Goddammit.

[ 11-18-2002: Message edited by: HiveQueen ]</p>
HiveQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-02, 11:51 PM   #6
Mr.Taxi Trix

[quote]Originally posted by HiveQueen:
<strong>I can't remember under what circumstances eukaryotic DNA codes for reverse transcriptase without the influence of retroviruses and I have a midterm tomorrow. Goddammit.]</strong><hr></blockquote>

When the moon is in Gemini, of course.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-02, 07:57 AM   #7
Stretch

&gt;do you have any IDEA how much money the NY PR firm that made most of &gt;those commercials MADE off that particular event?

Or how much business they LOST because of canceled contracts etc. ???!

Bill Coleman

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-02, 09:41 AM   #8
Steven Ragatz

[quote]
Jugglermat posted:
Last week a crane which was situated in the high street in La Coruņa fell down and demolished a house killing two old ladies.
As it happens , the crane was put up in the major busking pitch. Now that the crane is not there anymore the pitch is free.
<hr></blockquote>

The emotional dynamics of any performing environment is going to have a profound effect on the quality of your show and the quantity of the hats. Context is everything. I would think that you could try the space out and get a feel for the karma. If it jives, then run with it, but if you feel that the situation has left everyone with an uneasy feeling, then you should reconsider relocating.

[quote]
Originally posted by HiveQueen:
I can't remember under what circumstances eukaryotic DNA codes for reverse transcriptase without the influence of retroviruses and I have a midterm tomorrow. Goddammit.
<hr></blockquote>

Telomerase is an eukaryotic reverse transcriptase that adds simple sequence repeats to chromosome ends by copying a template sequence within the RNA components of the enzyme.

Steven Ragatz

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: Steven Ragatz ]</p>
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-02, 02:49 PM   #9
HiveQueen

Stretch -- I stand humbled.
Taxi and Steven -- Thanks! Won't get our scores back till next week, but I think I did okay. (The question wasn't even on the midterm, it turns out, but better over-prepared than otherwise.)

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: HiveQueen ]</p>
Old 11-20-02, 05:12 PM   #10
Stretch

Dear HiveQueen, no worrys, just doing my job: Stretching imaginations!

Do good, avoid evil. The only contant is Change!

Bill

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-02, 08:24 PM   #11
HiveQueen

[quote]Originally posted by Stretch:
<strong>Do good, avoid evil.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

...and be careful what you post when you're feverish and highly stressed. -hq
Old 11-22-02, 06:29 AM   #12
jugglermatt1

Can you believe it , the council has gone and put up christmas lights right above where my head would be .What with police paranoid of falling objects , Ive gone and put myself a little further along the street . Such is life .
jugglermatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote