ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 05:41 AM   #22
Dr. Harmonica

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Harmonica

Baa, humbug...hmph...all this talk about money is boring. Who's been laid lately. That's what's important. I will lay one thing on you. Having a sign reminding the public about donations is an excellent idea. I've had my sign for more years then I care to admit to. It's geared for musicians but I'll lay it on you all and you can do with it what you will.....

It's true that music can cure all ills
But even musicians must pay their bills
So while the music soothes your mind
A small donation would be very kind
A wondering minstral wishes to say
Have much joy and a very fine day

Thank You...Dr. Harmonica

This can be adapted to suit any kind of act

Cheers folks....Now lets talk about sex.......Who's first?????
Old 05-11-05, 05:58 AM   #23
gav

Default now you're talking

It's not all about the money !!! What about entertaining people ? Isn't that what it's all about? Of course you want to be paid for it, but if you go out there with only the intention to make money then I don't think you'd do very well. You need to want to entertain people and make them happy, then they'll think about paying you.
there is a difference between asking for money for a service or product you have supplied and begging for money in return for nothing.
It's important to point out to people that if they have enjoyed what you have given them, then perhaps they can give something in return.
I don't recomend throwing insults at people who don't give anything though. Well, maybe in a comical way sometimes.

Now on to the sex topic.
I have it EVERY DAY !!
Life is sweeeeeeet.

Last edited by gav; 05-11-05 at 06:15 AM.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 08:31 AM   #24
Dr. Harmonica

Default Money, Money ,Money and more money

My Dear MR.. Gav.....What is this BULLSHIT!!!!! of course it's about money. We are trying to make a living and we expect to receive a good wage for it. I enjoy going out and performing my craft to the best of my ability but I don't do it as a hobby, I do it to support my self in the style to which I have become accustom to and that is a very high style in more ways then one. If I have a bad day at work I am not happy. Why....because I did not make enough MONEY. There has never been a bad day when I earned a lot of money. When you earn a lot of MONEY it is impossible to call it a bad day. It is a good day and I like good days. Earning a lot always means it's a good day and why you may ask. Not only because of the MONEY but because when you earn well on the street it means that the people like you and you were good. MONEY is the way the audience shows it's appreciation of your talent. Now occasionally I have a bad day and I don't make enough MONEY. What does that mean. It means that the audience sucks. Yes they suck. Sometimes that happens. It's a group karma kind of thing that sometime an entire audience can suck. Some times an entire city can suck. I have enough confidence in my skill and talent to know that it's not me, It's THEM.....It's always them......
Now can we talk about something more interesting like pussy.....

[b]
Old 05-11-05, 09:08 AM   #25
gav

Default no bullshit

I guess we'll have to disagree on this.
I've done shows that I thought were bad, with audiences that gave very little response, only to find out later that the hat was very good. On the other hand I have done shows that I thought were great, the audience was well into it and then later I find that the hat was crap !
The amount of money people give you can vary for so many reasons and should never be used to measure the quality of your performance. Better to use the audiences reaction to measure that.
I've seen fantastic performers doing original material that don't make a lot of money, and I've seen totally generic copycat tall unicycle shows performed badly by ego maniacs that make a lot of money.
He who makes the most money on the street is not the best performer, he's the best salesman !
Old 05-11-05, 09:56 AM   #26
Dr. Harmonica

Actually I tend to agree with you on this but the psychology of a musical performer is different then that of a juggler doing a circle show. Since we are pretty much stuck to our instruments and don't really build up to some amazing climax the tips tend to come in slow and hopefully study. Also CD sales are the big breadwinner now. If one is playing music without selling a CD or two it's almost not worth the effort. 20 Cd's sold at $15 a piece or the local equivalent can add up. Anyway there are good days and there are bad days. Usually my show is very consistent. I'm always great.......so if I have a bad day it can't be MY fault now can It????. Listen, we have to stop meeting this way. I have a life to lead...sort of
Old 05-11-05, 10:32 AM   #27
Glenn Orange

Default Re: Whistle while you work

Quote:
Originally posted by martin ewen
Given Glens admitted working the streets for only 6 months its painfully obvious to point out that its painfully obvious he's a rookie.
I've met whores who let customers shit in their mouths because at the end of the day its only about one thing...the money.
Glen, perhaps start slowly and expand your comfort zone gradually. Do you have people stopping? Try eye contact. Try some sort of written notice. Try anything that extends your relationship with the audience. Of course if you include dylan covers I'll just withdraw and leave you to continue being savaged by the rock god.
Hey, if you have a heroin habit to support and wanna beg like a street junkie, go right ahead. I make more than enough to maintain my roomate-free apartment STRICTLY on money I don't be for. I have a great relationship with my audience, people DO stop and appreciate what I do.
Begging is for homeless addicts. Busking is for musicians.
Glenn
Glenn Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 10:36 AM   #28
Glenn Orange

Default Re: more money madness

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Harmonica
Dear Mr.. Glen Orange. It is painfully obvious that you are just a rookie in this business. The longer you do it the the sooner that you will realize that there is no such thing as begging. It is called educating. Teaching the public that they have a moral responsibility to respect your talent and pay you a fair wage otherwise you might be forced into a life of crime and have to mug them some dark night.......or sell drugs.....or steal their car radios ....It's up to them to keep you from that life of crime.....Therefore don't be shy. If you have a good audience and they don't pay. Insult them, harass them, beg them, threaten them. do what ever it takes because in the end only one thing is important............THE MONEY
Oh, give me a friggin' break...You sound like every homeless hippy I've ever dealt with. It's MY respinsibility to make sure you are fed and housed. I may be a rookie, but at least I make RENT-PLUS , and get to maintain my dignity. Maybe YOU would be able to make money based solel on your performance if you put down the crack pipe.
Glenn
Glenn Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 11:33 AM   #29
Dr. Harmonica

Default Hopeless hippy your ass

Yo Glen....Are YOU talking to me....You talking to MEEEEE....Dr. Harmonica.......Homeless hippy your ass!!!!! I don't have enough hair left anymore to be a homeless hippy. I'm a hairless hippy but when I did have hair I was the happiest of hopeless hippies while you were in Nappies sucking yo mama's tittie...You don't know diddly doo. I just fed you one of the most commonest juggler line in the common book of over used juggler lines. Look here BOY....You need some experiance. Learn to respect your elders sonny. Learn more then three chords!!!! Why one months interest on my Gold Card is more then you make in a lifetime I'm out of here. I have to go and polish my Mercedes

Last edited by Dr. Harmonica; 05-11-05 at 11:36 AM.
Dr. Harmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 12:33 PM   #30
Peter
Unused member

Default Re: Re: more money madness

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Orange
Oh, give me a friggin' break...You sound like every homeless hippy I've ever dealt with. It's MY respinsibility to make sure you are fed and housed. I may be a rookie, but at least I make RENT-PLUS , and get to maintain my dignity. Maybe YOU would be able to make money based solel on your performance if you put down the crack pipe.
Glenn
Sorry Glenn, but you are writing bullshit. I make very good money busking. I use hat lines all the time to remind the entertainees that this is how I make my living. Their tips are my pay. There was an artical in the locval Cincinnati paper about a musician that busks and has made "up to $60 a day" and the day the reporter was with him he made "$5.65 for 3 hours work." He just plays his music and sings along with the music.

I work the same streets doing magic and use hat lines and my take is never less that $60 an hour. I don't beg for money. I don't tell them to "help me." I tell them that : if you enjoy watching what I do show your appreciation by dropping a bill or two in the hat That is NOT begging, it is doing an honest days entertainment and getting paid for it.

BTW, I also don't have a room mate in my apartment. I have a wife, who does not have an outside job, and a real mortgage that I am paying. I also pay child support to an ex wife and am very generous to my four kids.

I feel thatwWhat you are doing, on the other hand, is begging. playing your heart out and wishing that someone will drop a coin or two.

Peter
Old 05-11-05, 12:53 PM   #31
gav

Default do yall play death metal?

You musos' are an angry bunch aren't you.
I suggest you both go toke on a reefer and subdue your madness.
Most guitar buskers I've seen don't ask for money, at most they have a little sign in their guitar case that says 'thanks for the tip' or something like that.
Most statue shows I've seen don't ask for money either, but they can make 50 euro an hour, sometimes more.
I've never seen a circle show not ask for money, but that does not make us a bunch of junky beggars !!!
Old 05-11-05, 12:59 PM   #32
Dr. Harmonica

Default Our members are rotting away

My Dear Mr. Ewin. I couldn't help but notice that you member has turned gangrenous after only some 1030 post. You have my unending sympathy. What will happen next???
Old 05-11-05, 01:12 PM   #33
Dr. Harmonica

I don't ask for money. I have a big sign on my guitar case with the poem that I posted earlier that does that. I sell CD's with a large sign that explains the pricing schedule. The more you buy the less per unit they cost. I have five different ones. Since I've been selling CD's the case change has gone down but who cares, The paper cash has really gone up. I used to carry kilo's of coins home. Now it's wads of paper. Life is tough out here in Buskerland.
Say y'all, this has been fun but I have things to do,
places to go and people to see

Just remember.....

I'm old enough to know better

But young enough to do the wrong thing
Old 05-11-05, 01:18 PM   #34
martin ewen

Lurk Cliff Richards "we're all going to a ..concentration camp"

Mr mouth organ. I've been secretly keeping tabs on you for years, since way back when you had a head full of tresses. Every time a clump fell out I'd match it with a pnet post.
Back to topic; Playing your heart out is the point, music has the luxury of you being able to immerse yourself in it and it projecting by itself.
Have a sign with your own stuff your happy with explaining yourself.
Seed your hat or case with the denominations you prefer.
Make eye contact.
There's differences between musicians and song and dance men and their both interesting in different ways.
You can put yourself anywhere between those definitions you wish.
This has turned into a bit of a self justification blather. Theres a lot of variety out there. I've seen silent magicians make good money.
Now must go and apply my ointment

Oh and the Dr's right CD's are a superior revenue stream for a muso.

Last edited by martin ewen; 05-11-05 at 01:21 PM.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-05, 01:35 PM   #35
Dr. Harmonica

My Dear Mr... Gangrenous.. Quite right, quite right. Seeding the hat or case is very important and I would never dream of starting the day with an empty case. From little seed grow big bills. In my younger days I used to empty the case from time to time but not any more. I like to watch the change grow. Of course the big bills get buried because sometimes a hopeless crack smoking hippy busker amateur guitarists might get jealous and try to steal. It's happened before. A quick hand in the case and out comes a bill. . Sometimes I catch them and sometimes they're bigger then I am It's a part of operating expenses
Old 05-12-05, 02:04 AM   #36
harmonicakev

Default Whatever you're comfortable with...

Personally, I avoid any mention of money in my act. People tend to give more and more often when they don't feel like they're being hustled. We've had some busker's come through here begging like junkies...

Glenn [/b][/quote]

This is a somewhat common attitude among street musicians I've met in Boston and Cambridge, but lets face it folks, if your case is open, that's asking for money, and where is the problem with asking for money anyway? Everybody has to end up finding their own way of working a crowd, unless they have relatives who will support them. Personally I would never actually ask for money. e.g. my old hat line back when I had hair...." all donations go so that I, Kevin M., can get a haircut and look for a real job." Happy Spring! - Kevin M.
harmonicakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-05, 12:46 AM   #37
Mr.Taxi Trix

I'll second that. The "well, I'm too good to actually speak of money" attitude, from someone who relies on tips for a living, is just a little too much like a prostitute claiming that while yes, she will certainly allow a certain amount of her client's bodily fluid into her various orifices, she would never stoop to holding hands with someone in the park, much less a carriage ride, because that would be behaving like a whore.

Dignified though your perception of your position may be, you're right down here with the rest of us.
When a garbageman brags that he would never pick up a discarded chair and throw it in the truck, he's still a garbageman, though he may prattle on about being a refuse engineer.

So blow me.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-05, 03:39 AM   #38
Peter Voice

The best paying solo music act I ever saw was a guitarist in Sydney who played Chicago bluesy stuff with just a little amp, harmonica and voice.
He played and sang like an angel but what made the difference was two-fold.

First was he had the moves, this guy could dance.

Second was that he did a little show with crowd-build, lead-up and climax with hat-pitch.

And he did pack-up at the end but only to move a little and begin again.

Only 2-3 pieces after a short, loud crowd-build then a hat pitch. It was similar to some of the musos I saw working the underground trains in Paris in the late 70's. He had about a 10-15 min. turn-over and would do different pieces in each set.
I saw him one day do 8 little shows in Martin Place during a 2 and half hour lunch-time stint, then several sets in 2 hours at Circular Quay that afternoon. That evening I saw him doing it again Manly.

He was making about 80 a show and this was about 20 years ago.

Last edited by Peter Voice; 05-13-05 at 07:51 AM.
Peter Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-05, 05:00 AM   #39
Dr. Harmonica

Default My member is growing

Money, money, money money, money.....I'm only writing in here because I'm jealous of you guys. We got Gangrenous members, Amputated members, Senior members and Member members but do we have any members who are using their member for it's intended purpose??? If I keep writing enough bullshit maybe my member will grow big and strong like some of you guys....I hope....
My last wish is for somebody to suck my member!!!!!
Old 05-13-05, 06:31 AM   #40
martin ewen

Lurk

Personally, I'd find that a bit distracting.
If I were dying, I'd be concentrating on profoundly funny things to say. (and I doubt my relatives would volunteer)

Last edited by martin ewen; 05-13-05 at 07:39 AM.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote