performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 03-09-03, 11:50 PM   #1
Steven Lampredi

Hat Old Town Alexandria

What is the latest on busking at the waterfront, Alexandria? I recall there was a minimum distance away from any other performer, but no license needed. I haven't been back for a while.
Steven Lampredi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 12:36 AM   #2
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Although I haven't performed down there yet-I hope to this season-I spoke at length to a couple people in the city government to find out what the particulars were.

Basically, I was told busking is completely ok in the city, no permit needed, unless you are actually selling something (CDs, t-shirts, etc), in which case you did need a vendors' license.

I was actually told to be cautious about performing on the waterfront itself, because each section of it is owned by the businesses established there, and if they don't like you, you could be charged with tresspassing. Of course, you could try to get permission from the business owners themselves.

I was down there scouting pitches last Father's Day, and it seemed to me that the best one's would be around the fountain in front of City Hall; it's a large area, easily accessable, central, and public. The courtyard outside of the Irish restaurant (Murphy's?) looked good, too, but I don't know if it's private property.

Even though you haven't been in Old Town in a while, it would be great if you could share any other information you may have about busking there.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 02:32 AM   #3
le pire

Smile

Hey boys,

Talk to the Unicycle Lady. She's been performing there for quite a while... She also got arrested for some stupid reason and was hauled off in handcuffs so she sued the city for $1,000,000. I haven't talked to her in a couple of years, but I would LOOOOOOOOVE to hear the resolution to that story. Unilady if you're lurking around, please post!

étienne

[ 03-17-2003: Message edited by: le pire ]</p>
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 11:52 AM   #4
Moira
Dangling Member

General note - I found this info about amplification:
# Street Performer Noise (Sec.11-5-4.1(c,d): DEQ does not issue special permits for street performers in the right-of-way or the street. At no time may the streets or sidewalks be blocked without the proper right-of-way permits. The permitted noise levels are governed by Central Business District restrictions:

* Between the hours 7:00am and 11:00pm, no sounds may be louder than 75 decibels at a distance of 10 feet from the place at which the sound is being generated or produced. The burden of proof shall be on the person responsible for such sound generation to prove otherwise.
* Between the hours 11:00pm and 7:00am, no sounds may be louder than 65 decibels at a distance of 10 feet from the place at which the sound is being generated or produced. The burden of proof shall be on the person responsible for such sound generation to prove otherwise.
http://alexandriava.gov/tes/oeq/info...t.aspx?id=3840
Moira is offline   Reply With Quote