performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 09-26-01, 07:48 PM   #1
Orange

Post good video?

hey, i am currently putting together a promo video. i'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make a video really good. any help would be really appreciated. thanks alot.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-01, 12:20 PM   #2
young raoul

monsieur l'orange:
I can't tell you how to make a good video - but I can offer some unsolicited advice on how to get producers to watch the damn thing - namely, your first 15 seconds have got to rock the house or don't even bother.
Every year I go to a conference and for two days sit in a meeting room with about a dozen festival ladies. The second half of the second day is video time. Out of the hundred odd videos I receive a year, i bring three or four as does everyone else. I've seen more videos get stopped after 10 seconds (comments being "been there, booked that" or "Medieval Juggler! Make it stop!")and that's it - you're gone. On the other hand, if you start off totally over the top and grab your viewer by the short and curlies - chances are they might watch the next 15 seconds. Don't make an epic - once you've got your opener - try and make a strong two or three minutes, anything more is just wasting money you could have spent buying people drinks to thank them for their sage advice.

colonel parker
young raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-01, 04:51 PM   #3
Orange

Butterfly

thanks alot. i'll keep that in mind.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-01, 07:02 PM   #4
Lynneski

Apple

Can I add a little suggestion? Make sure your act name, contact info, etc is on the tape and the tape box. In mass viewing sessions (or even on a heavy mail day) tapes often get separated from the accompanying promo material.

And if you use bulk tapes bought at retail, I recommend you put labels on the tape spine, not just the face, so you can be easily found after you make your way to the "keeper" shelf!

Ta,
Lynne