performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 11-14-02, 02:35 PM   #1
Jim
Your Host

Default PROMOFEST - Like MotionFest, but for PROMO!

Hello performers.netters...

How many of you just got home from MotionFest? How many wanted to go, but couldn't? Well here's another cool opportunity to improve your show, specifically the business side of your show...

PROMOFEST! A 4-day digital workshop/retreat in the beautiful hills of western Massachusetts. You will walk in with hard copies of all your headshots, printed material and random footage on multiple video tapes and you will walk out 4 days later with a complete digital promo kit and video on DVD or CD ROM. A very, very cool concept. And the really cool thing about it is, YOU will do it all. This is a hands-on workshop so after you leave, you'll have the skills to continue working on future promo on your own!

Read the introductory pitch below and then check out their web site. PROMOFEST is the brainchild of Lee Ross (Cirque Du Soleil performer, screenwriter, 20 year veteran street performer) and John Pritchard (award winning web designer and film maker.) I personally met with Lee and John and they are very serious and very enthusiastic about this idea.

As a web designer, performer and the host of performers.net, I give it my seal of approval and definitely plan on attending. I KNOW there are many performers out there who NEED this! It's something I wish I had the chance to go to many years ago when I was first learning how to design promo.

Thanks for your time and thanks for using performers.net!
Jim

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Lee Ross and John Pritchard invite you to PromoFest!

http://www.pritchardschool.com/promofest.html

The Pritchard School of Digital Arts presents PromoFest - a four day
self-PROMOtion workshop geared toward the p.net crowd.

When: December 2-5, 2002 and January 6-9, 2003!
Where: 9 Mountain Retreat, Berkshire Hills of Western Mass.

This off-season Retreat is a powerful opportunity to re-invent yourself and
tune-up all your fundamental press materials... From your web site to
recording new performance pieces under ideal conditions!

You will leave PromoFest with a master CD-ROM that contains your own video
and press materials professionally designed to copy to your web site and you
will also be able to produce a DVD or VHS master for mass duplication.

This is the time to ask what are you worth and
how do you want to represent that worth?

Creating Your Own "Digital Presence" at PROMOFEST is a great way into
answering that question AND get a huge jump on next season so you can remain
competitive in the Performing Markets you are selling yourself to.

After over 20 years on the street and stage, touring as the lead with Cirque
Du Soleil and writing half a dozen feature scripts, Lee has settled down and
partnered with John Pritchard, award winning web designer and film maker, to
form a truly unique film school!

Lee and John are sure that this special marketing retreat will be where you
can get more information, make new discoveries and develop greater awareness
about who, what, how, and how much $$ you need to promote yourself... And
then apply it all into a digital format that gets results - meaning you walk
away with a CD-ROM containing your polished video clips and promotional
pages for your web site, and/or a professionally produced DVD/digital video
master ready for mass duplication. Most importantly, you will have a clear
understanding of how to get that new material out there.

PROMOFEST costs $750 for all four days of the workshop, including room and
board, equipment rental for all video formats, laptop computers for web
design, digital video production/editing, and cd/dvd burning, as well as,
blank media for videotape masters, cds and dvds.

Each PROMOFEST takes place at 9 Mountain Retreat Workshop Center located in
the beautiful Berkshire hills of western Massachusetts (a half hour west of
Northampton). 9 Mountain specializes in hosting intimate and well-served
retreats for business, artistic, spiritual, and other groups in a peaceful,
natural setting. Special features are the hot tub and sauna facilities
surrounded by many acres of beautiful wooded paths in the forest.

PromoFest is limited to 20 people per workshop so apply ASAP for the date of
your choice: December 2-5 or January 6-9.

Go to http://www.pritchardschool.com/promofest.html to apply online.

You can also call the school at 413-458-8768 to request an application.

We look forward to seeing you at Promofest and helping you get a head start
for the new year.

With the Best of Intentions,

Lee and John
Old 11-15-02, 09:11 PM   #2
Lynneski

Apple

Lee... Jim... (even John, tho I don't know you)...

WOW! What a stellar plan - I could kiss you twice on your cheeks. As a regular receiver of promo, I can tell you I have these responses to packages that come in the mail (snail or e):
-most frequent response "Awww, not bad, but if they'd only done ___________ it woulda been great."
-all too often heard response "What the...?"
-only occasionally heard response (and you *know* who you are) "Ahhh, this is beautiful!"

This selfish mailbox minx wishes you much success, and looks forward to seeing the products of your collective efforts. Well done, and thanks for taking on the task.
Old 11-15-02, 10:40 PM   #3
Mr.Taxi Trix

Canada

Yo Minx!

Heard your party was a tip top time. "I have a sweater just like that that I was gonna wear tonight" and everything. Thanks for the Diva Transport... you rock.

I'm all over promofest like stillness on a statue. Its a beautiful idea. High time someone gave us all a clue.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-02, 11:28 PM   #4
Jim
Your Host

Mime

Folks, just to clarify... I'm not organizing this thing... it's Lee and John. I'm just the messenger here. I don't have all the details, so emailing me won't do any good. For more information, contact the school: 413-458-8768 or write to Lee Ross directly: mailto:lee@allonething.comlee@allonething.com</a>

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. I do plan on attending, though!
Old 11-18-02, 03:53 PM   #5
Richard

Jim, we know you don't have anything to do with it, that's why we asked you. To get an unbiased opinion.
Actually I was just looking for you to tell me "yeah go, it'll solve all your problems."
Old 11-19-02, 12:02 AM   #6
Jim
Your Host

Canada

Richard,

I can't really say "Go... it'll solve all your problems," because I honestly don't know all the details. And since it hasn't happened yet (and nothing like it has been attempted as far as I know) I don't know what to expect.

What I do know are these facts:

It's happening in December and January on weekdays (dead times of year in North America, performing-wise), it's in a beautiful part of Massachusetts and it will be fun to hang out.

I will be there offering web advice and instruction.

I think a "Digital Promo Retreat" is a great idea and I'm psyched someone had the guts (and facilities) to try to pull it off.

They will be using all Macs.

It will be a great place to bounce ideas off other people to tweak your existing promo, video, web site, etc.

I plan on getting a bunch of old video clips off of tape formats I can't use and have them digitized onto DVD. (I believe they'll have Beta decks, Hi-8 decks, S-VHS decks, etc. there to playback your old footage and transfer it to DVD or DV tape.) This service alone is worth half the price of admission.

There is a big room/studio there that will be set up for photo/video shooting in a controlled studio setting. (New head shots! New studio photos!)

John Pritchard and Lee Ross are totally committed to making this a fun, productive, educational experience. Throw all that stuff into the mix and add up to 20 performers who are all there for the same purpose (improving/creating promo material) and you will have a jam packed 4 day event where everyone will leave with tangible results.

I think people will get a lot more out of this workshop if they have a very clear idea of what they want before they go.

I have personally spent thousands of hours at my computer trying to figure out the inner workings of Photoshop, Illustrator, Freehand and Video editing software. Not to metion the thousands of dollars at Kinkos and other printing shops tweaking and creating my promo over the years. If I could have paid $750 7 or 8 years ago for a DVD with all my promo burned onto it, I would have saved all that hassle. (I know DVDs weren't invented 7 or 8 years ago, but that's not the point.) I had to learn all these skills myself. And many other performers have done it, as well... but think of all the professional performers out there with crappy promo! It may be because they don't care, but more likely it's because they don't know where to start. I think this workshop is the place to start! You'll walk in with all your old promo and walk out with a slick, dupeable, CD ROM or DVD. Duh? How much it THAT worth?!?

I could easily name 20 performers off the top of my head in the New England area alone who have little to no computer skills. There are a ton of people participating on these forums who can check email and browse the web, but couldn't create a logo with Photoshop or even scan a photo and email it to a client. That's what this workshop is for... to not only create your digital press kit, but also to educate people on the basics so they can then go home and do things themselves later.

I think this is going to be a really cool thing... again, though... it will be what you make of it.

Jim

[ 11-19-2002: Message edited by: Jim ]</p>
Old 11-20-02, 10:33 AM   #7
Lee Ross

Hey, just wanted to add a little to more because our email went out and this post/thread that's happening here. John and I are already getting many responses to PromoFest and many questions around "is it right for me?" etc so I thought I'd add a few words.

So often we're often focused on what's up ahead that we sometimes miss what's righ in front of us. When we ask ourselves "what am I doing?" or "how do I create the space and time to ask myself this question... what am I doing?"

Well, part of the answer might be at PromoFest. A workshop and retreat that enables YOU to reinvent yourself, a 4 day event focued on right now, what am I doing with my Marketing, my Presence and what do I want to change if I gave myself the room to explore that?

More than that it is a time to let things Be... Make room for the Zen of the street & stage of Life. If you could walk away with a new press kit, CD Rom or web site/video in 4 days that gets you work, hightens your visibility and at the same time find yourself in a cool dinner discussion about Media Identity, Reality Gaming as it pertains to your show well sign up.

If a breakfast chat on copywriting, then a 2 hour workshop on writing without thinking and then doing your editing session with John on your materials is sounding sweet well then... PROMOFEST is your answer - a few days where you will make discoveries in a setting that lets you focus on you! Get out of the Way of Yourself and come play at Promofest.

See you There
Lee Rosspromofest
Lee Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-02, 04:00 PM   #8
Richard

Alright I'm there!! Mailed the check today. Can't wait to start mailing out my proffessional looking promo kit and living the good life. Who knows, maybe I'll even move in next door to Jim.
Looking forward to meeting you all there....Or at least 19 of you.
Old 12-08-02, 10:56 PM   #9
Lee Ross

Hi Everyone,

It's almost Showtime! PromoFest is 4 weeks away, January 6-9, 2003.

John and I are very excited about our upcoming workshop/retreat in January! It will be a great time to enhance your promotional
materials and develop a more professional presentation.

PromoFest is filling up fast and we have a limited number of spaces still available. If you haven't heard about PromoFest, go to our web site. It is a 4 day/3 night all-inclusive package (tuition, room and food) where you develop/enhance your promotional materials for the web (including video) for $750. Everyone leaves with a master CD-rom of their new promo kit to upload to the web for a first-class digital presence.

In this update we have some great new additions to the team that will be leading the event at 9 Mountain Center, Jan. 6-9, 2003. Dedicated master of FinalCut Pro, Todd Howard, will be going one-on-one with
all attendees to bring their video materials into seamless, digestible clips for your CD package. Top New York Graphics guy, Tom Schumacher of Einstein Designs, will be in for one day of private consultations to take it to the next level so you can get your stuff "out there" upon completing PromoFest. And, as a special guest, Jim of Performers.Net will be presenting a special evening called "Being Your Brand" which covers all aspects of the Biz part
of ShowBiz.

For those of you still on the fence about coming, please check out the final schedule below and you can apply online should you decide to join us:
http://www.pritchardschool.com/promofest.html.

Please contact me at lee@pritchardschool.com if you have any questions. There is no time like now and we are looking forward to helping you to maximize your digital presence in the New Year!

PROMOFEST SCHEDULE

Day 1 Monday
YOUR IDENTITY AS A PERFORMER

12-1:30 Lunch
1:30-2:30 Orientation
2:30-3:30 The Bridge to Success
3:30-5:00 BRAND IDENTITY: Who are You? What's Your Story?
6:00-7:00 Dinner
7:00-9:00 "Being Your Brand" - an evening with Jim Smirk
9:00-11:00 Relax: Movie/Sauna/Hot Tub

Day 2 Tuesday
YOUR PROMO KIT - WORDS AND IMAGES

8:30-9:30 Breakfast
9:30-10:00 Body Movement
10:00-12:00 Writing/Photo Workshop -Lee
Video Sessions -John & Todd
12:00-1:30 Lunch
1:30-4:30 Writing/Photo Workshop (cont.)
Video Sessions (cont.)
4:30-6:00 Personal Time
7:00-9:00 "Follow Your Fears" - an evening with Lee Ross

Day 3 Wednesday
YOUR PROMO KIT - PRINT, WEB AND CD

9:30-10:00 Print Options with Tom of Einstein Design
10:00-12:00 Final Copy for Print/Web Site/Email -Lee
Final Promo Video for Web/CD -John & Todd
Private Sessions with Tom
12:00-1:30 Lunch
1:30-4:30 Final Copy for Web Site (cont.)
Final Promo Video for Web/CD
Private Sessions with Tom
4:30-6:00 Personal Time
7:00-9:00 "The Rhythm of Success" -an evening with John Pritchard

Day 4 Thursday
PROMOTING YOURSELF

9:30-10:30 Creating REAL Results
10:30-12:00 The Art of Relationships
12:00-1:30 Lunch Celebration
PROMOFEST
Lee Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 04:00 PM   #10
Sunshine

I'm seriously considering going in January. It sounds great!!!!

Actually, I just called them today for more info and am anxiously awaiting a call back.

Does anyone knows what computer hardware/software would be needed to maintain and update the promo DVD's and CD Roms made at PromoFest ?

If my equipment would be compatable I'm in.

Sunshine
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-03, 06:32 AM   #11
Sunshine

I'm in. See you there.
Just bought my ticket East.
PromoFest here I come.
Can't wait. Sounds great.

Sunshine

PS --- Who else will be there?
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-03, 10:09 PM   #12
Michael Rosman

PromoFest ...It's a wrap!

Well it's over. And it seems just like in all other cases, the people who most needed to attend, did not. And for the most part, those who did attend didn't need to. They already had darn good promo. But I'd say that almost everyone who did attend is probably darn glad that they did. Because if they had good promo when they arrived, they were able to take it to the next level. Some took their stuff through the statsophere.

If you woke up Monday without a website, or video and didn't come to PromoFest, you probably still don't have one. If you had come to PromoFest, you would have one now. Does your website have video? PromoFest ones do.

One thing that was great to see was the group help that was available...had a question about which image to use, or where to put it, ask the group.

This was the first PromoFest. It was not perfect. There could have been a few more computers on site. Possibly some more indepth pre-Fest interviewing of the attendees to better anticipate their expected goals to thus better prepare the schedule to meet those goals. The remote location provided challenges by not having any type of high speed internet access. (or even moderate speed). But I would say that the remote location was a huge plus in many ways. Earthdance and 9 Mountain (and the bed and breakfast and the dinner house) take up one beautiful peace of this earth. I can not have imagined better food. It was amazing. Each meal became something to look forward too, not just as a break in the full and draining schedules we were keeping, but as the healthy and tasty (yuuuuuuuum) spread that we could hardly keep from overeating.

There are some things that need to be tweeked and there is no doubt that any future event will be closer to perfect. But I assume that any future event will be attended by the same people who came to this one, and not the one's who most need it.

My hat is off to Lee Ross and John Pritchard. John, go to sleep. 4 days and nights straight...wow. Hats off to Jim (performers.net founder) Thanks for the photoshop and video editing tips/lessons.

Greg, Etiene, Rich, Karl, Linda, David, Jim, Lee, John, Todd, Tim, Daniel, Rob, Lisa, Drew...and the girl in the army sweats...Yuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm!

my 2 cents,

Michael Rosman

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: Michael Rosman ]</p>
Michael Rosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-03, 11:46 AM   #13
Richard

Well I'm one (maybe the only) guy who had crap for promo when I arrived at Promofest and have, or will have, kick ass material now that it's over. Just check out my new website www.realultimatepower.net
This is 100% what I needed.
Not everything was perfect and I would liked have told some people "your time's up" but John went far above and beyond the call of duty by letting a few of us stay at his place for some quality one on one time. Even after he had been up for two days.
Hats off to Lee, John, and you to Jim for putting this all together. The location was perfect, the food was amazing, and the company was perfect too.
Oh yeah...of course I was just kidding about that being my website. I hope to post the real one up here soon.
Old 01-16-03, 02:58 PM   #14
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young
That ninja site is funny as hell.
For what it's worth, I want to go next year.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-03, 11:53 PM   #15
theincrediblelarry

so, will there be another promo fest?
I didn't get to go to the one last year, and was hoping there might be one this year. whats the scoop, anybody know?
theincrediblelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-03, 09:18 PM   #16
Jim
Your Host

I would have to say probably not. At least not by the organizers of last year's event. There was talk of having some kind of mini "promofest" kind of thing at MotionFest, but I don't know if that's going to pan out.
Old 11-10-03, 03:45 PM   #17
Richard

I could use a Promofest II. Last Promofest I got my website put together with video, brochures, post cards, etc. (Thanks again to all that were involved.)
Now I need to learn how to work them. I need to learn the basics of working my website. Recommendation's on tools to use for keeping it updated. Video camera's, computers, and programs. How to find and work with agents. I know some of this is covered at Motionfest but I missed it. I know there's books I can read that covers these things but I do better with someone holding my hand. So Jim, what do you say you and John get together and do Promofest II?

Plus I wouldn't mind having some of Debra and Davio's cooking again and seeing the naked French chicks next door.

[ 11-10-2003: Message edited by: Richard ]</p>
Old 01-17-04, 04:47 AM   #18
dave walbridge

Promofest at motionfest? Great idea -- my stuff could use an upgrade.

Dave Walbridge

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com
dave walbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-04, 06:07 PM   #19
le pire

Richard,

Promofest was great for you because before you went, you had no clue about anything business wise-- internet, brochures, videos, the concept of a performance as a "product" to be sold, etc. Now you've learned all of that and I don't think you need a promofest II. You are ready to move on to much more in-depth work.

My recommendation for you is to sign up for some adult education courses at your local community college or learning center in:

-Website programming
-business and marketing.

These courses usually meet on weekday evenings once or twice a week and run for 2 - 3 months. They usually cost around $200-$300. Two courses will be considerably cheaper than promofest(considering the travel expenses for both you and your wife) not to mention that you will not need to leave you kids with a sitter for a week. You will also gain considerably more skill over a two to three month period than from a four-day seminar.

Again, Promofest was a great introduction for marketing your show, but if you want real change / growth it is going to take more study and commitment than 4 days.

just my opinion.

etienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-04, 02:35 PM   #20
Richard

Hell I've come a long way since I made that post. Lisa's gotten pretty good on Dreamweaver and her Mac. My stuff's gotten better.

She's finally glad we went the Mac way Jim.

You're right. I probably got more out of Promofest than anyone else that attended. Well worth it! Thanks again to John, Lee, and Jim!

Thanks to you Etienne and keep us informed on the marriage thing so we can send you some towels.