performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Old 12-21-00, 08:07 PM   #1
Jim
Your Host

Post Mac or PC?

I've always wondered if it's true that more performers/artists used MACs than PCs.

I only use MACs. I'm a MAC snob. I own three right now, but I'm probably going to sell one (my Duo laptop) because I don't use it on the road anymore.

Anyway, please answer this poll question...

Do you use Mac or PC? Which do you prefer?
Old 12-21-00, 10:36 PM   #2
martin ewen

Mac me up!
I like the system, I like the way it tries to teach you with notes like,"you've done a really bad thing and you'll have to do undo it thus"
I will remain a macophile till theres only two of us left, (unless me and the other guy don't get on)
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-00, 10:52 PM   #3
Frisbee

I currently own a PC...its what ive learned on and know best...I am comfortable with a Mac and feel mac is superior in graphic output as well as ease of use..especially with film/video/music editing...But more sofware for pc...as soon as platforms are completely compatible I will stick with a pc I think...although pc outdate far faster than a mac...so if I got a mac it would not be obsolete in about 8 hrs...

-Frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 12-21-00, 11:59 PM   #4
Peter Voice

Mac is the industry standard in image making of any sort in Aust. but PC for website strutural design. We have both but if I only had one machine it would be an Apple. The DV stuff is fantastic and we've made several Quick Time video's of about 30 seconds that are under 3 mb. We'll be putting a couple on our site soon.
I'm quite a tyro at this stuff so my favorite piece of office equipment is our TIM. By computer standards a 22 year old piece of equipment is ancient, but with it's self-upgrading characteristics our office TIM is still quite functional. The Tim might be replaced though if he crashes the Saab again.
I really wish the Apples didn't make all those noises.

[This message has been edited by Peter Voice (edited 12-22-2000).]
Old 12-22-00, 01:17 AM   #5
Rich Potter

Macs rule!

Actually, I was a PC sort until I met my current broad. She's a Mac head and brainwashed me. I have been assimilated.

I've worked at a number of graphic design firms and overwhelmingly the designers who take themselves seriously use Macs. Most of the Mac users I know tend to be right-brainers.

Pardon me now, I must go buy a copy of "Catcher in the Rye" and throw Twinkies at G.W. Bush

--Rich
Rich Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-00, 02:18 AM   #6
checkerhead

Send a message via AIM to checkerhead

Mac is good Ya!

As I sit here at my Powerbook typing away and surfing the all new Performers.net site (nice job Jim) I'm listening to MP3s on my iMac DV Special Edition, while up in my son's room the old Performa sits and waits for him to throw in a CD ROM to play and I consider the relative merits of the Key Lime vrs. Graphite iBook DV Special Edition...sigh...

The Mac world is sometimes accused of placing too much importance on form and not enough on function... Perhaps, but given how much time I spend at a computer screen I like to have a computer that is not only functional, but also a fun objet of art sitting on your desk.

As to the old Windows user claim that there is far more software for Windows than Mac... Sure there is, but how many different applications that do exactly the same thing do you really need?

I bought my first Mac on August 30, 1991 and have never looked back. At the time it was Mac vrs. DOS and really early versions of Windows...so it really wasn't a hard choice to make. These days it's a bit trickier. Microsoft (The Evil Empire) has done an excellent job of improving the Windows platform...obviously, or there wouldn't be so many Windows users out there, but I still like my Mac...A LOT! How can you not like and OS that has a smiley face built into it's logo...

Da Mac...She’s a good!

checkerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-00, 10:32 AM   #7
Frisbee

SOLD!!!! My next computer will be a Mac... I planed on buying a new computer in two-three months...now I know to buy a mac...maybee one of those nice looking cubes.
-Frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 12-23-00, 12:40 PM   #8
Jim
Your Host

Frisbee, Whatever you decide to buy, contact me (or Checkerhead) first. I think we've bought a dozen macs between us in our lifetimes. The cube is a great/cool machine, but it's not very expandable.

I just got a DUAL 450 Tower after two months of decision making. I think I could recite the specs of every Apple product in production right now. If you're buying a Mac, the best time is in January. (Yes I bought mine at the worst time, before the holidays. - but I get a year 2000 tax deduction!) New models come out in January and the current models have big price drops.

Give me a call sometime. I'll tell you what to get.

Jim
Old 12-23-00, 04:23 PM   #9
Frisbee

Jim,

Will do...I have a few website questions for you as well as to my web design...

-Frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 12-24-00, 03:52 AM   #10
Dom

Just to redress the balance..

I'm a Windows user, specifically Win NT.
Although I can sympathise with the underdog mentality as I started and still own and run a trusty old Amiga (it is still the most efficient video editing machine out short of an Avid (Mac), and it churns out broadcast quality promo videos averaging 8-10 a year -the latest being the BikeBoy remix.

Buying a computer is deciding what area of the digital world interests you the most and which one you will be filling your days with.
If its graphic design, especially desktop publishing then a Mac is the only way to go. If it's web design either one will do. In my case it is 3D Graphics (thus the dual Pentium III NT Workstation Tower on my desk) and thats an area Apple aren't big on.

PS. Where's the Aussie flag?

www.dom.zip.com.au
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-00, 12:10 PM   #11
checkerhead

Send a message via AIM to checkerhead
Apple

Hey Dom,

I sat down last night (on my Mac) and did up about 15 new icons, one of which was an Australian Flag... Jim's concerned with having too many icons, but one more row I don't think would be such a bad thing... Now all we have to do is convince Jim... I also notice that he has posted the NZ Flag, but not the Australian one...hmmmm...

Cheers,

d.
checkerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-00, 02:58 PM   #12
Jim
Your Host

Stop

Is that the Aussie flag? I can't tell them apart, Dave. I'm just an ignorant American.

Sorry, Off topic. Let's get back on....

Mac or PC for entertainers?

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 12-24-2000).]
Old 12-24-00, 09:29 PM   #13
Dom

Stop

David, I reckon we'll be happy with one for the both of us and at that size no-one is going to be able to tell the difference (even on a 21" monitor)..

Jim, many thanks for fixing my embarassing screwup..

Back to the topic at hand if you polled it seriously Mac would win, the vast majority of performers that I know here use & love them, it's also nice to see them (especially IMacs) popping up in production offices. Had LightWave, Maya & SoftImage been ported out on the MAC OS I would have probably gone that road myself (despite the added cost as they are dearer let alone the software for those who buy it). It would be a sad day if Apple ever decided to throw in the towel..

These days we're all running the same Applz anyway (PhotoShop, MacroMedia etc). I just wish that Microsoft would get off its high horse and let us read Mac Disks (save me all those trips to Kinko's to transfer Zip disks)..

Enuff said

www.dom.zip.com.au
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-00, 01:38 AM   #14
Adam Gertsacov

Clown

I'm a macintosh boy as well...
I've owned a Mac 512kE, MacPlus, Mac2si, PB 100, PB 165C, Quadra 840AV, and now the Imac DV.

I love them! For doing basic work an IMAC is perfect....

I've taken out the mac image, because it was screwing up some people's monitors...
If you want to see the image go to
http://www.apple.com/imac/

[This message has been edited by Adam Gertsacov (edited 12-26-2000).]
Adam Gertsacov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-01, 10:55 PM   #15
stickman

Apple

I'm happy with my amd750 thanx. Has enough toys in it to keep me happy, not to mention had fun building it myself. Now only if it wasn't on another continent I'd be exstatic!

Always found pc's more fun, if you like to mess around with your toys. I got sick of apple threatening me for opening up the machines. Want to do something funky, just replace a card, not buy a new computer.

Mind you think I'll have to eventually pick up a decent laptop, propablly a pc. Which one has a dvd player in it now a days.

Stickman
Http://www.weeble.org

stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-01, 11:05 AM   #16
Brian Wilson

Send a message via ICQ to Brian Wilson
Hanging out at the Singapore buskers festival in 1999 we were lucky enough to get half of the acts to the beach and bar at Sentosa island for a day of R&R. We're all sitting around playing pool, chilling out, and the conversation turned to HTML coding, web promoting, computers, video editing..etc.
Bill Ferguson turned to us all and said "You know people would never beleieve us if we told them this is what performers talk about!" So true Bill, so true.
Old 01-13-01, 10:50 PM   #17
Todd

Even stranger..........
Sitting backstage at a Rennissance Festival in Florida, there were 3 laptops belonging to performers out and running, and trading webinfo, etc. When Jim Frank of Whipflash (who was visiting me at the time) comes backstage and gets hit up for tips on upgrades and increasing performance.
Out on the street "turkey leg m'lord". backstage a computer seminar with a performer whos day job is the head of computer security for the navy.
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-01, 05:59 PM   #18
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Love

I use both. I don't own either. If I were to buy a new computer it would probably be running linux because I don't like being a free spokesperson for any destructive corporations.

------------------
The Lonnie Anderson of juggling,
Scot Nery
Old 01-22-01, 02:42 PM   #19
Zoltan

Apple

Not that you *specifically* asked for my advice...

I am a PC user - I have been since color screen meant 'green and black' (as opposed to 'white and black'). In many ways, PC is better simply because it's the industry standard for most things.

Most software developed by third-party vendors (eg, small businesses not hired by IBM or Apple) is developed for PC, or developed for PC *first*, and then moved to Mac. As a result, there is a greater variety of software available for PC, and it works better on PC (since it was built primarily for PC). Also, by and large (and I used to know a woman who was bi and large), most software developers use PC (even to develop Mac software!), so again, the PC version tends to be 'cleaner' since it's an environment with which the uses are more familiar.

Having that *said*, I would be remiss if I did not note that Mac systems are more highly used by people in the 'creative' software fields of artwork, music, graphical layout, etc. In fact, in adverstising, if you ever seen a computer screen shown, it is almost *always* a Mac-version screen, because chances are that the graphical person who created the ad was using a Mac at the time.

Make no mistake, though - unless you're specifically creating 'artistic' material, you should be using a PC. In the same way that if you're creating webpages, you should be using pure HTML....

Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-01, 03:20 PM   #20
Frisbee

Question

Hmmmm...I don't agree with some stuff the last post said about Mac software being designed by and on a pc...I also don't by th statement that pc versions are cleaner...I have used both pc and mac and I have to say that in general a mac is a hell of a lot easier to use than a pc...although I am using and have always owned a pc...this is most likely going to change in the next three months.

-Frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com