performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Old 02-05-01, 08:33 AM   #1
ALAKAZAM

Post Amps

Hi
I just want to know ,after using loads of different battery powered amps and experimenting with car amps and speakers.What is the best ,smallest ,loudest, highest quality battery powered street amplifier you can get,from anywhere in the world.Can you also tell me where to get one.
thanks
AL

ALAKAZAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-01, 09:14 AM   #2
Chance

Lightbulb

What's happening Al?

IMHO, the best plain and simple all-around amp is the Amp Can by Fender, which I am sure you are already familiar with. But if you want a combination amp and mic ensemble, then I suggest the Long Ranger by Lectrosonics. The Anchor series of combination systems are definitely the Rolls Royce of amps, but they are also the biggest, heaviest and most expensive. Links to all of them can be found in the resourse/links section.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-01, 11:57 AM   #3
Jim
Your Host

Lightbulb

I used a Long Ranger (Lectrosonics) for 5 years and a year and a half ago I went to the Anchor Liberty System.

In general:

For voice ONLY, the Long Ranger will give you the loudest, clearest, most reliable sound for your dollar. I used mine for hundreds and hundreds of shows per year for 5 years and the only thing I ever replaced on it were the rechargable batteries (once, after 4 years) and I bought a new mic (not the transmitter, just the mic) each season, because mics are fragile and they lose sensitivity over time.

For voice AND music, I love the Liberty. It's bigger, heavier, and more expensive than the Long Ranger, but the sound is nicer and warmer, if you're playing lots of music with an MD or CD or tape. Honestly, music sounds like crap through a Long Ranger. The Liberty also sounds nicer indoors than the Long Ranger. The Long Ranger is higher pitched so it cuts through ambient noise outside, but sounds a little shriek-y in a quiet environment. I'm doing just as many indoor gigs these days as outdoor, so I prefer to carry the Liberty.

Anchor (who make the Liberty) has several different size systems to choose from. The Liberty is the big boy. The smaller systems have the same sound quality, but aren't as powerful (or heavy).

If you're doing, primarily, a speaking show, outdoors, you'll be happy with the Long Ranger.... only 15-20 pounds and built like a truck.

If you're playing recorded music and speaking, go with an Anchor system.

If you do lots of theaters and indoor work, get the Liberty... it will do everything.

Jim
Old 02-08-01, 03:23 PM   #4
Frisbee

I have an amp can and it works well, I am thinking of upgrading to a larger system...how about the fender passport, I like the fender quality of sound and construction...anyone have input on this system?

-Frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 02-08-01, 10:34 PM   #5
Mr.Taxi Trix

I went with the passport last year and just love it. I got the bigger one, and I'm not sure I would choose that again.(Heavy, overkill, you need juice.) Nice thing about it though, you always feel 100% pro for the indoor gigs with that system. Get the tripods to highten the effect. For the smaller stuff, though, I do still like the Crate Taxi. Light, good sound, nice yellow. Great name.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-01, 12:39 AM   #6
Thom

Question

Jim,

Do you think the Long Ranger would fit my situation?

I don't work the street.
I perform at festivals for usually about 1500 - 2500 people.
I work on a stage usually 3.5 feet and up.
I need to hook into larger p.a.'s through my system.
I only need voice.
I'm 1/2 of a two man act. Are both mikes a problem?
It needs to look good. Not great, but not cheap.
What's the average or ballpark price?
Who makes it? Is it online?

Thanks for the help.

Thom

------------------
Thom Britain, Modern Gypsies Entertainment
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-01, 08:42 AM   #7
Brian Wilson

Send a message via ICQ to Brian Wilson
Lightbulb

I recommend Anchor Audio products. They custom build PA's (which work really well for voice, and are alright for music) and you can get all kinds of nifty functions and add ons with them.

- they have mic reciever(s) built in
- come in different sizes (#watts)
- have a built in rechargable batterry that can go as long as 30 hours.
- are one contained unit.
- have both a line out and a spkr out

I can't recommend them highly enough. We do both outdoor performances and corporate gigs and it's nice to not have to plug in anywhere, our whole rig is battery op. The PA is also good for crowds of more than a thousand people.. we've done big group shows with it....

Old 02-09-01, 11:13 AM   #8
Jim
Your Host

Thom,

I have to agree with Brian. The long ranger would be fine, but if you're plugging in to larger PA's, I've found the Anchor systems sound better and they do have a direct 1/4" line out jack. The Long Ranger's tonal quality (high-end, no bass) is only amplified when run through a larger system. It isn't really improved.

If you're playing to 1500 people, I'd receommend the Anchor Liberty (or two!) You can have two mic's built into the system and get a battery that runs for about 12 hours (realistically) It will sound great with a line out into a larger PA. This is what I use mine for.

The Liberty with TWO mics/receivers, and extra large battery will run you about $1600-$1800(US) depending on the quality/type of mics you get. This whole system will weigh about 50-55lbs. You need to find a dealer, Anchor doesn't sell direct.

Check them out at http://www.anchoraudio.com

If you're just doing strictly voice and need a really small, powerful system for 1000 people and you don't need to plug into a larger system, the Long Ranger will cost about $1500-$1700 with TWO mics/receivers. THis system will weigh about 20lbs and run about 10 hours on a charge. And I'm thinking of selling mine, so if anyone's interested, let me know. It's well used, has two mics/receivers, and a new battery with less than a year of use on it. I'd really like to get $1200 for it. And I'd pay for shipping.

So there.

Jim
Old 06-11-01, 12:48 PM   #9
Rich Potter

Question

What do you guys think of the Megavox? It's an Anchor product, which I'm interested in purchasing, so as to have something light, small (fits in a trunk), battery operated and portable.

The Minivox appears too weak for a circle show. The Maximouse has been discontinued. The Long Ranger sounds like it doesn't deal well with music (and is more expensive). Am I missing some other option?? How does Megavox compare to Long Ranger/Maximouse/Liberty?

If anyone is interested, I think I found the best deal for the Megavox at http://www.ggvideo.com/ .

If anyone knows better, let me know.

--Rich

P.S. Response from http://www.ggvideo.com: It's $509 for the MegaVox with the built-in wireless receiver. (wireless mic is sold separately)

[This message has been edited by Rich Potter (edited 06-11-2001).]
Rich Potter is offline   Reply With Quote