performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Old 03-12-01, 02:05 AM   #1
Orange

Post wireless mics?

i want to buy a wireless mic for this summer. preferably one that's not too expensive. but i know nothing about them. what features do i need in a mic and transmitter? any help would be much appreciated. thanks.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-01, 05:15 PM   #2
jonnyflash
your private dancer

The decent new ones cost $750CAN for mic w/transmitter & reciever.I got mine(older model SURE brand) in a pawn shop for $350CAN.
It had a permanently wired in lapel mike which I didn't like so I bought a studio quality boom mike with an RXL cord for $60CAN which I snipped with scissors and carefully spliced onto the snipped cord of the beltpac transmitter. I secured it with electrical tape,till I get some shrink tubing which will look better.A cool thing about these wireless units is that you can make an adapter so the reciever will run off a 9-volt battery.

www.jonflash.com
jonnyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-01, 04:06 AM   #3
The Pretty Good

Send a message via AIM to The Pretty Good
Hey Aiden Whats up? I think that if you are going to buy a wireless mic then you should go all out and get a top of the line one. I went with a Audio Techinca UHF wireless with a headset mic. I think that it only ran me like $500 or so I am also running a Maxi Mouse with it ($170 ebay). But for the mic to be truley wireless you have to get a 12V 2-5Amp Hrs battery and charger($50). So for less than $1000 US you can get a good mic that I have used in the financial district in Manhattan. You just dont want to be picking up truckers and security guards like you might with the cheap ones. Hope that helped.
Dont forget to get in touch with Brkvlle. Its coming up soon.
Old 11-24-01, 05:58 PM   #4
Magic Brian

I use a Samson UM1 receiver and UT1L transmitter they come together as a set, costs just under $400. They work great, I use them with an Amp Can and have not had a problem. They both run on 9volt batteries - the receiver eats the batteries though, you can get about four or five shows out of one battery. Out side of that they rock. Hope that helps.
Old 11-24-01, 07:26 PM   #5
Seamus

This is the best site I've found for online mic shopping. They seem to have very competitive prices, and an impressive selection.

http://www01.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/Fra meWork.class?FNC=ParentActivator__Aattributelist_h tml___CatID=1428___SID=EA96874AE80

That's one nasty looking link. I hope it works...

P.S. I am of course in no way affiliated with BH Photo & Video.

P.P.S. "Camera mountable" systems are probably what you want. Both the transmitter, and receiver run off batteries...

[This message has been edited by Seamus (edited 11-24-2001).]
Old 01-31-02, 12:13 AM   #6
Mark Wessels

Exclamation

hey

i went to that site and i was a little over whelmed by the selection. I am looking to eventually get a wireless mic and an amp. It seems like there are a bunch of identical headsets and transmitter packages that just broadcast on different channels. Which channel is best or does it not matter. Would this one be decent?

(Cut and paste this code into your browser address window. No spaces, no returns. - Jim)

http://www01.bhphotovideo.com/defaul...ameWork.class?
FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___160939__ _SAUM
HS75U1___REG___CatID=3786___SID=EBF08D5F690___call
=features#goto_features

what a beast of a link
what sort of an amp would be good to go along with this? More importantly can i get this amp online? if not then where? I'm looking for cheap but not easily broken. Nice sound a plus though not toooo necissary. Only for voice.

thanks,
mfw

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: Jim ]</p>
Mark Wessels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-02, 01:43 PM   #7
Scot Free

CRATE TAXI
Best bang for your buck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!TAXI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CRATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
TAXI TAXI MOTHERFATHERING CRATE TAXI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
click on this web page link
web page

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Scot Free ]

[ 01-31-2002: Message edited by: Scot Free ]</p>
Scot Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-02, 08:20 PM   #8
Peter
Unused member

Ass

Get an expensive one. I have seen the cheap ones pick up chatter from the trucks on their Citizen Band radios. Imagine the embarrassment of the lady singer I saw when in the middle of her song we all heard; "God look at the tits on that beaver! I would like to eat her pussy!" The whole crowd laughed, she turned bright red! I threw in a couple of bucks even tho I thought she was a bad singer.

"i want to buy a wireless mic for this summer. preferably one that's not too expensive. but i know nothing about them"
Old 02-07-02, 06:16 PM   #9
stickman

Apple

I started out with a cheapy ($100), and quickly regretted it. Picked up radio stations, etc.. Depending on the pitch.

Gone with a Seinheiser now. Eats 9 volt batterys, but has a large enough range of freqs to pretty much guarente I can always be heard and legal. If you plan on crossing continents, it's worth the investment. Not cheap by any standards though. However they replaced one of my lapel mics which developed a fault for nothing, (same day) just before a stage show. Heavy duty construction as well, which for me is a must as I tend to destroy cheaper equipment during street shows.

"i want to buy a wireless mic for this summer. preferably one that's not too expensive. but i know nothing about them"[/QB][/quote]

Stickman
http://www.weeble.org
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-02, 03:41 PM   #10
danchrisvent

A great portable PA System is available from Florida Magic Co PO Box 290781, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33329
1(800)818-5698, (954)252-1834 http://floridamagic.bizhosting.com
This system weghs only 5 pounds, yet will cover a school gym! Very good wireless microphones built in. Works on 110V OR 220V AC power OR 12V battery. Great unit!Florida Magic/Sekaku Portable PA System
danchrisvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-02, 07:30 PM   #11
Amy

Send a message via ICQ to Amy
so would you say that the sennheiser multi frequency mike is better for the specifics of street than the samsun with the transmitter on the headset?
im curious because although the sennheiser has the whole capoodle, as it were, it also has more bulk and weight...
any thoughts?
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-02, 08:28 PM   #12
Scot Free

The bulk and weight are balanced out with the sheer freeking durability of the sennheiser. Metal casing, who can beat that?

I have toasted more mics because they were encased in cheap plastic then I care to mention.

I have the ew 100 series, it cost about $800 CDN and it rocks!!!!

check it out at their web page
Old 04-12-02, 04:17 PM   #13
Amy

Send a message via ICQ to Amy
even tho the samsun is soooooo small and light you'd say the sennheiser beats it hands down?
havent you got more chance of trashing the sennheiser cos it takes up more space and has more wires,set up time and malarkay to accompany it...
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-02, 11:38 PM   #14
Mark Wessels

[quote]Originally posted by danchrisvent:
<strong>A great portable PA System is available from Florida Magic Co PO Box 290781, Ft Lauderdale, FL 33329
1(800)818-5698, (954)252-1834 http://floridamagic.bizhosting.com
This system weghs only 5 pounds, yet will cover a school gym! Very good wireless microphones built in. Works on 110V OR 220V AC power OR 12V battery. Great unit!Florida Magic/Sekaku Portable PA System</strong><hr></blockquote>

Any one know if this is decent? I know nothing about microphones or amplification any one who does let me know if this would work for a circle show in a pretty loud environment?

thanks
mfw
Mark Wessels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-02, 07:36 PM   #15
Rick Martin

Crate Taxi (30 watts) or Limo (50 watts) and Sansom Airline headset wireless mike. Open the amp up and splice into the wires to the 12volt battery to power the mike reciever. Get the appropriate tip to plug into the mike reciever and velcro the reciever's holder to the amp. Velcro a Discman and plug it into the other channel and there you have it.

[ 06-22-2002: Message edited by: Rick Martin ]</p>
Rick Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-02, 11:03 AM   #16
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Piggy

My pal (Chris Karney) has the sen. He likes the metal and the frequency agility. He's always preaching the greatness to me (maybe 'cause he paid twice as much as me).

I got a samson airline. I'm fine with going through a mic every year or two and the samson is very freeing. You can pull it off your head quickly if you need to and put it on someone else. As far as durability; it doesn't have cords on the transmitter to break and the plastic casing of it is so small it makes it kinda hard to crush. My friend, the Rubber Boy is doing three shows a day where he kicks himself in the back of the head. He has turned the mic off a few times this way, but I don't think he's ever broken one.
Old 06-23-02, 02:18 PM   #17
Tom B

I have been using a Fender Passport p-150, and the passport wireless mic(it has both headset, and lapel), and its a great system. One time set up of 2 screws in the back of the amp, and all you ever have to do is turn on your mic. I have never had a problem with it picking up any other frequiences anywhere I go. It uses travel chanel b(UHF). If you are looking for both amp, and mic you cant go wrong with a passport. I purchased both on E-Bay and spent $450 for the amp, and $190 for the mic.
Tom
Tom B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-02, 01:16 PM   #18
Spinners' Wacky World of Tops

Cool

apollo pa-5400 is fitting my needs at $350 from Grant enterprises/I have found them as expensive as over $5oo. go Grant
Spinners' Wacky World of Tops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-02, 07:37 PM   #19
Scot Free

[quote]Originally posted by Scot Free:
[QB]The bulk and weight are balanced out with the sheer freeking durability of the sennheiser. Metal casing, who can beat that?

I have toasted more mics because they were encased in cheap plastic then I care to mention.

I have the ew 100 series, it cost about $800 CDN and it rocks!!!!

QB]<hr></blockquote>

I take back my recomendation for this peice of shiite company.

The transmitter on my mic is fucked, it has been serviced twice under warrenty and it is obvious that the part is defective. It is acting up once more and they want to service it AGAIN rather then replace the unit. My warrenty is expired now but they "may" do something for me. The unit has been sent in again (during peak season) for them to look at before they decide that it is my fault that it doesn't work.

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: Scot Free ]</p>
Old 09-17-02, 01:51 AM   #20
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Rick Martin is right. I am running a samson off the power from a crate limo. It's really loud and lasts longer than I expected.