performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > MOTIONFEST

Old 01-21-03, 09:15 AM   #1
Spinners' Wacky World of Tops

Cool critique session time limit

From a past posting I heard that the piece should be 4 min.How tight is this? it will take a couple min. to set up what I want to accomplish.
Spinners' Wacky World of Tops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-03, 10:05 AM   #2
Philip D.

Send a message via AIM to Philip D.
In the past what we usually do is allow five minute for performance with five minutes of audience response in addition to the note cards you will receive at the end from everyone. Usually for people with setup, they can generally setup during the part where the previous performer is receiving critique. In addition...You can go over your performance time, say if you went 7 minutes, we would then try to limit the amount of oral critique to roughly 3 minutes. We are not a strict body of judges here and we are humans...so keep those in mind when selecting a piece for critique.

Philip DePalo
MotionFest Coordinator
Philip D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-03, 01:11 PM   #3
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Hat

Some people have asked me what the "turbo-charged" critique session is all about.

It is something new Todd & Michael have suggested and I think is a great idea.

First off,it is offered during the times when no other workshops are going on so there would be no conflicts with other instructors or classes.

The idea is to take 3 acts/day and do a kind of "intensive critique" with them ... I would be the main director but everyone else in the class (only 2 others) would or could add to whatever ideas I come up with ... the idea is to take an overall look at a persons act (not just one piece or bit).

For the past couple of years I have been lucky to have been hired by a number of professionals to help direct them and I believe I have found a method that really seems effective ... I would share that process with the people taking that class as well.

To do this I need 1) an unedited video of the persons act (not a promo tape) 2) a list of all the other things they do besides what is shown on the tape and 3) a long phone conversation (or meeting) with them to determine a whole bunch of things (mostly where they WANT to go with their stuff) ... also it would help to have a hard copy (written version) of their show if they want help writing (or rewriting) material.

This seems to me to be a very pragmatic approach.

If you're interested e-mail me privately and I discuss it further with you.

Motionfest rocks!
Old 01-22-03, 02:59 AM   #4
Mr.Taxi Trix

Canada

Yo.

If you are serious about improving your act, this is a stupidly high value. I've been directed by Robert and continue to be. (I'll get the rest of that script to you, honest!) He is 100% on his focus, and means to improve what you do. I don't know what the cash is on this, but I am familiar with the product: jump on it now.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-03, 04:04 AM   #5
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

No extra cash (other than Motionfest fee) required.

Such a deal.
Old 01-22-03, 08:43 AM   #6
Peter G

People-
Don't miss out on this opportunity ! Having put up with Robert's endless comments about what's wrong with my show (and my life), the idea of having a day when I know he will shut up after a while is worth any extra cost; and this time it's free!

Sweating your response,

Peter "flying rodent" Gross
www.funnymagic.com
Peter G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-03, 12:57 AM   #7
Peter G

Hey Folks,
Just to clarify; Of course my post was a joke. Robert is an intelligent, gifted, talented individual who has a lot to offer performers of any level. Along with his own talent and a vast knowledge of the field, he is also an extremely clear communicator so you will not only get good advice but advice you can use right away.

I have nothing but respect for Robert Nelson; now and forever.

Peter Gross

PS Robert did not badger or bully me into saying any of these things. No matter what you may think. And I'm sure he had nothing to do with my cat's recent disappearance.

PSS To be truthful, Robert had never bored me with tedious advice about my show or my life. Or maybe he has. Most of the time I just pretend to be listening.

Instead I think about fish. And what they think about all day.

Other fish, I think.
www.funnymagic.com
Peter G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-03, 02:20 PM   #8
Todd Strong

[quote]Originally posted by Butterfly Man:
First off,it is offered during the times when no other workshops are going on so there would be no conflicts with other instructors or classes.

To clarify: Robert's workshops will be on Friday and Sunday afternoon. There may be other afternoon workshops going on at the same time.

(It makes more sense to offer concurrent workshops, than to expect everyone else to wait around doing nothing, while Robert singlehandedly improves the state of performing in the world. We all want to improve, too. :-)

These workshops will not conflict with any of the morning, "intensive" workshops.

Todd Strong
Todd Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 12:13 AM   #9
Michael Rosman

Arrow

One note on the discussion of how much time is given for the crituque session performances...Because of who we are, and how we run each conference, there is flexibility in much of our desicion making. We can change things on short notice if we feel that a change makes a better MotionFest. SO if we feel that the schedule allows, we can have critique performers do longer sets. I actually think that MotionFest Reno will for the first time have room for a few acts to perform for critique the same routine on more than one night so that suggestions can be incorporated and the routine re-critiqued. Don't hold me to it, but if have been on the critique stage at a MotionFest, you know how cool (and valuable) that this new format is going to be.

Michael

ps Peter, I found the Robert Nelson posts you made very funny ...no explanation needed, and the posts you made regarding the performance issues to be very poignant and well written.

[ 01-24-2003: Message edited by: Michael Rosman ]

[ 01-24-2003: Message edited by: Michael Rosman ]</p>
Michael Rosman is offline   Reply With Quote