performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > MOTIONFEST

Old 11-17-03, 08:27 AM   #1
Adam Gertsacov

Default Constructive Comments on MF6

Here's a place for people to make constructive comments on Motion Fest 6.

What did you like about it?
What would you change about it?
What wouldn't you change about it?
Adam Gertsacov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 09:15 AM   #2
Adam Gertsacov

Clown

I'll reiterate the comments I made at the wrapup session.

MORE NETWORKING
In general, I thought MotionFest was great. I especially enjoyed the networking and community times of just hanging out. I almost think that should be planned in there as well. A little bit more free hanging around time. Especially as the lunches and breaks always went late anyway.

MORE SHOWS
I would have liked to see more shows. I'm thinking of Movement Theatre International's old festivals-- there'd be 6 or 7 full length shows-- let's see, I think the Congress of Clowns in 1991 had Paul Zaloom, Fred Curchak, Bolek Polivka, Ctibor Turba, Dmitri, Bond Street Theatre, a Russian clown group, and maybe one more. That was for the public shows. Then there were the showcase shows-- another 10 or 15 30 minute sets. (with critiques) And then there were workshops. And let's not forget a late-night cabaret, where people could just do something for fun.

I'm not suggesting that we have that many shows (the technical aspect would be daunting, and we just don't have the technical capacity) but the opportunity to see 4 full length shows (one for each night) and 8 30 minute shows would be a definite attraction. And if those shows were in a larger theatre, then you now have an opportunity to sell more tickets (or sell festival show tickets)

MORE CRITIQUES
I'd like to see more critiques- for me, the critiques are a great way to learn things. While I liked the theory classes that the teachers taught-- I think it's very hard to get anything super-concrete in 3 hours. The performances (and the critiques afterwards) are the things that will probably stick in my mind more. (or at least the ones that I went-- OH MY GOD- I do that too!)

Anyway, that's enough for now...
Old 11-17-03, 11:26 AM   #3
le pire

Adam,

I think your comments are valid and very appreciated, but I do not think they belong on a public forum. The organizers of MotionFest do EXTENSIVE polling after the event to find out what people liked and didn't like. This is what has made Motionfest so successful for the past three years on two sides of the USA.

Just spouting off about what you would do if you ran motionfest and encouraging others to do the same does more harm than good. Besides, if you really want to help run it they will let you! The pay is crap, so I suggest you stick to your fleas.

Take your ideas to the source if you want to get results-- email the directors of motionfest.

etienne

[ 11-17-2003: Message edited by: le pire ]</p>
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 09:57 PM   #4
dave walbridge

an alternative viewpoint;

I think this is a great place to discuss ideas for improving the vale of MotionFest -- the public will see how we work on idea and how many people care enough to make constructive suggestions.

Dave

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com
dave walbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-03, 08:02 AM   #5
Adam Gertsacov

Clown

One of the comments that Michael made at the wrapup session is that not enough people were using this resource (the Motionfest forum on Performers.net) as a method of building community. He urged people to come and post here.

I'm not asking people to slag motionfest, or even say "If I ran motionfest, here's what I would do." My comments might end up not being practical for a host of reasons (a great point made was that moving the venue off-site ends up costing hours of valuable time in getting people down there, and in using volunteers to run the tech and sound.

But surely, discussing it AS A COMMUNITY, in an open forum, is a way to leverage our greatest assets-- our creative minds. Because 150 people sending ideas to 2 or 3 people is a great way for people's ideas to get lost. While here, those ideas of a chance to grow, and be clamored for, and be refined by the group.

For me, one of the most powerful portions of Motionfest is the critique session, which is not 4 knowledgeable guys talking about your work while everyone writes notes. It's everybody offering up ideas in a public forum, and then you get a lot of those ideas on index cards.(usually much less articulated-- it's hard to write in the dark, or while you are talking) What you do with the critique, and what the Powers That Be do with the ideas generated here-- is up to you (or them)
Old 11-18-03, 08:45 AM   #6
Adam Gertsacov

Clown

Oops! Posted Twice! sorry about that...

[ 11-18-2003: Message edited by: Adam Gertsacov ]</p>
Old 11-18-03, 12:48 PM   #7
Michele/Columbina/Stupina

Send a message via ICQ to Michele/Columbina/Stupina Send a message via AIM to Michele/Columbina/Stupina
Lightbulb

&lt;i&gt;Here's a place for people to make constructive comments on Motion Fest 6.
What did you like about it?
What would you change about it?
What wouldn't you change about it?
&lt;/i&gt;

As a brief introductory set of thoughts:
I also like the critiques. They are good learning tools even if you do not have material readily availble to perform. Hearing how others express their thoughts also lends insight into the work.

What I would change, other than adding more hours in the day? There are some sessions that are repeated every year: Make up, accountants, lawyers, agents, etc. Since I do feel it is valuable for both new attendees and those that have something specific come up during the year, I don't think they should go anywhere, but perhaps they can be offered opposite some attendee led workshops or the like. Then, those who have taken them before or have these issues under control, can utilize the time to better advantage.

Could there be a poll organized for those pre-registered for the event to choose from a list of attendee-led workshop options (prevolunteered by attendees at registration time)? It would be available about a week or so prior to the event so that those who sessions are most requested in the poll can bring any special materials to teach these clases. Then, organizers would know WHAT people are interested in learning and wouldn't schedule the attendee classes for 0-4 people. (not sure I explained that well. If it's note clear, let me know)

First year, there was a skills room. A specific room (harbor C, I think it was) where people could go and work on skills or teach each other in a controlled environment. That year was the first time I was able to get up on stilts and really walk around (and feel comfortable about it). It wasn't always filled with people, but for those who want to work during non-class time, it would be helpful.

I loved the performance lectures we had the first two years. Livingston Taylor and Max Howard's performance/lectures were wonderful because the artist would explain what they do/how they do their work, then did it. You got an immediate look into the reality of the concepts. Very useful.

I am torn between longer classes with fewer teachers or what we are doing now. I would love to have two sessions with a master teacher, but then I would miss out on working with someone I didn't realize was integral to my work. Not every name is immediately recognizable, though their work may be perfect for what the artist needs. First year, we had two days with each instructor we chose (6 hours), but I really liked working with 4 instructors since then. Other thoughts?

Personally, I like the venue as it is. Most other hotels in the area would charge for parking, or have difficult parking at best (for those who travel or commute). Though food options are limited, there was always something around. Another venue would most likely raise the registration cost, and I think that would eliminate new attendees who aren't sure yet or those starting out who really need the shared knowledge that this offers.

Having a larger theater venue would be attractive, but can we guarantee more non-attendees would come? Without funded marketing, I don't know. The idea of using a sponsor to support the public show is a good one. Maybe some kind of grant specifically to fund that event. Getting people from the "class" space to the "performance" space is another logistical nightmare, but I suppose that if that is what everyone REALLY wants, that is what would happen.

I may come up with more thoughts later, but these are the immediate thoughts.