performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL FORUM INFORMATION > PERFORMERS.NET NEWS

Old 12-03-01, 10:42 PM   #1
Jim
Your Host

Lightbulb New Forums and other news...

Hey folks,

Well, December 8th marks the one year anniversary of the "New" performers.net and the current version of the forums. (December also marks 4 years of performers.net, in general!)

In the next couple weeks I'll be doing some site renovations. The major renovation is a NEW version of the forums. The company that makes this system released a new version with added features and a slightly different look. Overall, everything will remain, but there will be some added little goodies to play with.

In order to update the system, I will need to shut the forums OFF for part of a day to make the change over. I'm not sure what day I'm going to do it yet, but I'll give a few days notice when I decide. When everything comes back online, your usernames and passwords SHOULD all still work just fine, but you may need to log in to get your cookie back when you come back for the first time.

Let's see... what else...

I've been getting a ton of new links and a few new articles but I've been busy with a bunch of other projects so they're still sitting in my IN-box. Hopefully in the next couple weeks you'll start seeing the updates.

KEEP SENDING STUFF IN!!!
I'LL GET TO IT!!!

One more thing....there are now over 430 registered members. I know that maybe 5% of those are repeats from the same people who forgot their names and re-registered, but of the remaining 400 people, maybe 25 are regular 'posters' to the boards. Come on folks.... Don't be shy. Speak up. Ask some questions and lets talk shop. I know there are hundreds of you lurking out there. Introduce yourself!

Later,
Jim
Old 01-24-02, 02:39 AM   #2
Jim
Your Host

Lightbulb

Well folks,

You may notice some changes to the Forums... One main change is the address. Update your bookmarks if you link directly to the forum pages. The old address is giving a server error for me. Until I figure it out, you can always link directly in to this address:
http://www.performers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Or just navigate in from the home page.

Some of the navigation is different. I personally think the new navigation scheme of the >>breadcrumb>>where are you>>arrowdeal is kind of ugly. I'll see what I can do about it.

There's a new icon above each message that looks like two people next to an envelope, that's to send private messages directly to other members. I haven't used it yet.

Now in the Topic Posting box you can add instant UBB code to your messages and Instant smilies.

You can also link people directly to a CATEGORY (like Gigs) and a smaller forum display pops up with only that category's topics.

On the front page, the last post in a forum is displayed by subject.

I've gotten rid of the moderator column.

There's lots more that I have to learn about and lots more I have to add and tweak. But just start clicking around and getting used to the new system.

There is a lot more functionality and customization with this version of the UBB. We'll see where it goes.

I'm going to bed. It's 3:45am.

See you tomorrow.

Jim
Old 01-24-02, 06:30 AM   #3
Prof Willie B

You are brilliant, Jim!!!!!!
Every-one, please stand up and put you hands together. Whistle, perhaps throw the cat in the air.
Prof Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-02, 09:34 AM   #4
Lynneski

Apple

A well-deserved rest, Jim. Thanks for tidying up the place. (It's interesting to see everyone's longevity hanging out.) How do you get to be member #2? Who's #1??

Lynne

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Lynneski ]</p>
Old 01-24-02, 11:12 AM   #5
Jim
Your Host

I don't know what happened to #1. I thought I was #1 but I'm being displayed as #2. There are a lot of things about this new system I have to figure out.

Jim
Old 01-24-02, 06:50 PM   #6
Prof Willie B

I think UBB retain the #1
Prof Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-02, 07:14 PM   #7
Jim
Your Host

It's a moot point now... I chucked the member #'s that were being displayed under everyone's names. I thought it was ugly.

I did add some information at the bottom of everyone's posts...

I'll see what people think. Let me know. I like having the info there for quick reference, but it does clutter things up slightly.

I'm getting used to the new look.

Jim
Old 01-25-02, 04:16 AM   #8
Peter Voice

Thanks Jim, I thought the #'s were inappropriate too. Bit of an embarassing surprise really, all things considered.
Old 01-26-02, 02:11 AM   #9
Jim
Your Host

Jester

Well, I think everything on the forums is stable now. I've been updating and tweaking the interface for the past three days and I'm happy with it. There are a few things I may be adding over the next month or so if I find the time, but I'm on to the rest of the site now.

Hopefully, I'll have and updated Library and links page up by Monday as well as an overall tweak to the look of the site. It's all minor stuff, but it needs to be done.

OK. THis makes 7 nights in a row I'm working after 3AM and I'm not tired yet. I guess when you sleep til noon it makes up for it.

Back to coding...
Jim