performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL FORUM INFORMATION > PERFORMERS.NET NEWS

Old 02-01-02, 03:37 AM   #1
Jim
Your Host

Canada performers.net - The Next Generation

Captains Log : February 1, 2002 : 03:36hrs

Hey everybody.

I just uploaded an entire new site. It's what I just spent the last two weeks on... and tonight I may get to bed before 5AM. I'm excited. Every single file and graphic on this site has undergone tweaking or modification in some way. I think things look cleaner and crisp-er. Just look at the front page: http://www.performers.net - Ohhh, crispy white background! New logo! Fixed table sizes! OK, I'm being a geek. On with the updates...

I'm going to try the bulleted lists feature on the NEW forums:
  • THE LIBRARY: It has doubled in size. Very, Very Cool. I'd like to publicly thank each author for everything they've contributed. Your words of wisdom and stories will benefit and entertain countless other performers, hopefully, for years to come. And there's still plenty of server space left if more people feel like sharing.
  • THE SERVICES: What I'm offering has been pared down a bit and prices have been slashed! (I guess I'm getting a bit tired of making web pages, and even more tired of tracking down people who owe me money.)
  • THE LINKS: I added about a dozen new links and cleaned up the page to make it look spiffier. Go see what you think is missing and submit your favorite resourceful links!
  • THE FORUMS: Well, they've been up for a week now and I see you're all adjusting well. Some signature photos are popping up and they look cool! And the Daily List View is much nicer than the old one... I'm still waiting for them to get a freakin' WORLD TIME CLOCK and make the "Daily List View" into a "Past 24 hours View" but no luck, so far. Cross your fingers for Version 7.0.
  • THE OTHER ADDITION: I tried to be as subtle and unobtrusive as possible. Eventually you'll see what I'm talking about... And hopefully you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Well that's the news for now. I'm going to bed. Phew.

Love,
Jim
Old 02-01-02, 04:21 AM   #2
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Mime

Jim,
For all your contributions to the street performing community you are now officially the recipient of the "Buttercup" for the year 2002!
Your name has been engraved and is already attached to the trophy.
On behalf of the street performing community "Otsu kara sama deshita!" (Thank you for your hard work!)
Robert A. Nelson
The Butterfly Man
Old 02-01-02, 01:56 PM   #3
Jim
Your Host

Angry

You told me it was mine in '97, then you gave it to the Dutchmen.
You told me it was mine in '99, then you gave it to Finkel.

Now you're telling me it's mine in 2002? Gee, I hope noone retires before the end of the year, or I'll be back on the waiting list.

Thanks Robert, I won't hold my breath...
M. McGuirk
Old 02-01-02, 07:33 PM   #4
Chance

Butterfly

Jim, is this the subtle "other addition" you were referring to?... http://www.performers.net/support.html If so, you got my vote hands down -- not to mention kudos on the new site. Thanks for all the hard work.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-02, 08:03 PM   #5
Jim
Your Host

Butterfly

Subtle, Chance... Subtle.

Jim
Old 02-02-02, 10:54 PM   #6
Chance

Question

Why the hyperlink change? The first one really was subtle -- plus it looked nice.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-02, 11:34 PM   #7
Jim
Your Host

Arrow

[quote]Originally posted by Chance:
<strong>Why the hyperlink change? The first one really was subtle -- plus it looked nice.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe a little too subtle.

I've actually spent the day changing the layout of all the pages. The system comes pre packaged and the people who made it focused on functionality and didn't pay too much attention to design. There are tons of little things I think look ugly and I'm getting to them one by one. I cleaned up the front forum "summary" page and removed a lot of usless space and redundant links. I had to move that link over to the left because it looked awkward in the center.

I think it's still pretty subtle. I'd say it's much nicer than a flashing banner.

Jim