performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 07-11-04, 11:31 PM   #1
mcstone71

Bunny Charleston, Birmingham, Knox and Savan

Hi from Atlanta

-I'm trying to find out the specifics on cities that are driving distance from the Big Peach.. Does anyone know what the story is on busking in Svannah, Charleston SC, Birmingham AL or Knoxville TN?

Mick Stone
mcstone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-04, 11:28 PM   #2
JoeJoe

I live in Myrtle Beach SC and was about to post the same question. The scene here sucks, if you can get in at Barefoot Landing or Broadway At The Beach you would do alright in the summer time, but there's red tape and hoops to jump through. The downtown tourist area might be decent, but the cops claim that if any moeny exchanges hands I'd be arrested on the spot - and I dont think the hats would be worth fighting them for.

I've heard Wilmington NC has something going on? Can anyone in the SC/GA/NC area help point us to a spot???

What about Little Five Points in Atlanta? I know there used to be some musicians playing in that area?
Old 07-13-04, 01:51 AM   #3
rsummer27

Charleston requires a permit, it costs about a grand. I use to do well standing on the beaches, but that's illegal now also.
rsummer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-04, 07:19 PM   #4
mcstone71

Default Little Five Points

Little Five Points could work. I'm the only actual real street perfromer I've seen there -and I'm kinda new to this -I'll make 50 or 60 bucks in a few hours busking magic tricks. The place is over run with junkies, bums and nuts -its kind of like a French Quarter Lite -but the cops have never given me any trouble.

Mick
Old 07-15-04, 01:35 AM   #5
rsummer27

Do you mean Five Points in Columbia, SC?
Old 07-15-04, 08:31 AM   #6
JoeJoe

I think we are talking about Little Five Points in Atlanta GA ... is there a Little Five Points in Columbia? Any hats there?
Old 07-15-04, 11:38 PM   #7
rsummer27

There is one in Columbia, but I think police are quick to run you out and only the homeless people will stop to see your show.
Ralph
Old 07-16-04, 08:16 AM   #8
Tom B

How about Druham NC? Streets of South Point? I was there when it was a fresh pitch. Good hats back then, now after being established I would guess it cant be bad.
Tom
Tom B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-04, 09:29 AM   #9
The Amazing Beaumanz

Charlotte N.C. has a busking program. They hold auditions, but also allow people travelling to obtain a temporary permit. There is an earlier post with the contact information.
Old 07-19-04, 09:36 PM   #10
mcstone71

I'm talking about little 5 in the ATL
Old 04-28-05, 03:30 PM   #11
Glenn Orange

Default CHarleston SC permit

Quote:
Originally posted by rsummer27
Charleston requires a permit, it costs about a grand. I use to do well standing on the beaches, but that's illegal now also.
SAY WHATT???? I live in downtown Charleston, Sc and my permit was $24, including the vending/retail permit. Where the hell do you get your information????
Glenn Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-05, 01:32 AM   #12
trippstorm

Default A GRAND?? Far from the truth...

$24 sounds more like it for the yearly license. If you work through Piccolo Spoleto as an artist, you can even get that fee waived and get a Buskers Permit for the duration of the 17 day festival. I should know, I give them out.

There's not been a Piccolo Spoleto Festival update on performers.net since 2002 or 03 but that's about to change. We're getting a bit of a head start this year.

Look for Piccolo Spoleto Festival 2006 info, coming soon. Stay tuned.
trippstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-05, 02:11 AM   #13
circusboy90210

Angry man

Quote:
where is the aclu when you need them??? on what grounds is it illegal to use the 1st ammendment????
circusboy90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-05, 03:17 AM   #14
trippstorm

Default I hear ya

I've much to say about Creativity and Freedom...but it's late here as I'm writing. So, I'll just reply quickly before heading for snoozeland:

I guess it's better to have your speech cut off, rather than your head. Nonetheless, it stinks when creativity is shackled.

-'night
trippstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 01:13 AM   #15
circusboy90210

Angry hey man!!!!

without speech my head is just about as much use as tit's on a rooster. k?
Old 08-15-05, 11:04 AM   #16
JoeJoe

Quote:
It sounds like they are discouraging you from busking with a "special use permit" from the DC Dept of Parks and Rec, which costs around a grand. The Myrtle Beach police tried the same crap on me.

I doubt busking really requires a "special use" permit, that would be if you wanted to hold a festival or something - a busker shouldn't need all of that.

There were some visiting magicians from Charleston at my pitch not long ago, they said Charleston was not a busker friendly place - you would need to fight for your rights there it sounded like to me.

JoeJoe
Old 08-16-05, 07:55 AM   #17
Glenn Orange

Default Geezz.....

I really wish people would stop quoting this nonsense. The permit is $28. That's TWENTY-EIGHT dollars, not a grand.

"QUOTED"
There were some visiting magicians from Charleston at my pitch not long ago, they said Charleston was not a busker friendly place - you would need to fight for your rights there it sounded like to me.

I have been busking here for a long time and Charleston is a VERY busker-friendly town. No one needs to "fight for their rights". The police tend to not really check wether or not you have a permit, and the local Office of Cultural Affairs wholeheartedly supports what we do.

I have found that usually when someone rates a place as "busker-unfriendly", that really means they didn't make any money. Personally, I do just fine financially.

Glenn Orange
Proud to Busk in Charleston, SC
Old 08-16-05, 11:33 AM   #18
circusboy90210

USA still too much

freedom of speech is "free" not ability to pay for permission, the very fact that you have to pay even a penny means' it's not a right but something you are asking permission for.check the constitution out man it's the #1 right we have in this country. the ability to express yourself.
Old 08-16-05, 12:42 PM   #19
Glenn Orange

Default Freedom of speech, man

QUOTED
freedom of speech is "free" not ability to pay for permission, the very fact that you have to pay even a penny means' it's not a right but something you are asking permission for.check the constitution out man it's the #1 right we have in this country. the ability to express yourself.

But you aren't performing for "free", are you? No, you want money. If you want to go out on the street and perform for the sake of expressing yourself, THAT'S freedom of speech. You wanna start capitalizing on it, then it's commerce.
Old 08-16-05, 03:04 PM   #20
circusboy90210

Default not so....

there are two basic tenements .... one street artist vs. city of new york selling art is first ammendment speech art does not live in a vacuum.......second congress has allready established that no laws shall be made that interfere with commerce.... so either way if it is or isn't you are protected. I'm on your side remember????