performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 09-05-01, 07:22 AM   #1
Caisiy

Thumbs down Kingston Buskers Rendevouz

Attention: Heidi Staddon,Kingston Buskers Rendezvous

Kingston Buskers Rendezvous,

It has taken me some time to compose this letter with regards to my engagement at the Kingston Buskers Rendezvous earlier this summer. I apologise for my tardiness.

It is with great disappointment that I am issuing this correspondence. I am witting in regards to the Kingston Buskers Rendezvous. It's organization and my experience with it. As an entirety, the festival is a wonderful idea. The people of Kingston and the city itself would be inspirational to any performer. I felt the crowds enthusiasm and support throughout my time in Kingston and I happily, applaud them in return.

Unfortunately, I have no applause for those who organized this
festival. Though I could write extensively to this, I will remain brief realizing that your time as is mine, is of great value.

The first of my concerns relates to the lack of human interaction that was given to the buskers. We received "packages" that quickly became excuses
for unanswered question and concerns. Myself and the other performers were constantly being told to refer to "our packages", which were often unclear and therefor unhelpful. This dismissive action is absolutely unprofessional
and insulting. The insult was further amplified by the written
instruction "play nice" which was condescending and completely inappropriate.

The anti-professionalism of the festival's organization continued throughout the duration of the event. I was allocated inadequate places to perform and I was shut down, without notice, during the last and most profitable day, prior to the Grand finale. The Grand Finale itself was a joke. It was
announced to the crowd, several times, that "this is not a competition". I find this hypocritical as the city was doted with ballot boxes, there were judges present and awards were presented. I would, however, agree that it was not a competent competition as it was carried out is such an unfair and
sloppy manner, identical to the rest of the festival.

The Kingston festival was a learning experience. As a profestional performer who has attended the most prestigious Street Theater festivals in the world, I am advising you to get your act together. I was aware that I was to be unpaid, and I agreed to attend. This will never happen again. It is one thing not to pay performers on the basis that they will make the money back in their "hats". It is an entirely different
thing not to give the flesh and blood of your festival respect. A festival devoted to performers should have organizers devoted to those performers. Absolutely nothing less.
I understand that your primary concern was the audience but without the performers, you have to understand, there is no audience.

In the future I will not be attending the Kingston Buskers Rendezvous. As a member in good standing of a tight-knit, performers community, if asked about your festival my response will be much less pleasant than this letter.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, personally, for more specific details.

Sincerely,

Caisiy Bundock, Jean d'Arc
(416)828-7489
31+(0)629-161-069
724 6th Street,
Petaluma, CA 94952, USA
fairiegood@ureach.com

CC avid A. Morgan, Manager, Culture and Recreation
Performers.Net, Festival Discussion
Caisiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-01, 09:54 AM   #2
Jim
Your Host

Thumbs down

I first appeared in Kingston in 1995 and had a wonderful time with the crowds. I really enjoyed the locals and the town, in general. Everything was going great until the last day when they announced the big "Competition" (They were still calling it that.)

10 acts (and ONLY 10 acts) were asked to perform in the final 'show' and noone else was allowed to perform at all that day... (The final day of a 4 day fest!) The acts were apparently chosen by secret ballot and were invited to go on and do 10 minutes on the main stage in front of the giant crowd by the waterfront.

Unfortunately, I didn't make the cut. I had come a long way, had wonderful shows with wonderful crowds and was then told I couldn't take part in the last day of the festival... and they actually asked me to help collect money after the show-- money that would go back to the festival. So I went to the organizer of the event and told her I was unhappy and that I wanted to be a part of the show, not as a competitor, but as a performer who wanted to do one last bit and say goodbye to a nice town on the final day of a festival. She said, "Sorry, but there were votes and you didn't make it."

So I watched the show from the sidelines as the 10 acts were judged by local business people and awarded prizes. Dozens of people actually approached me during the show and asked when I was going on and I told them I didn't make the cut to be 'allowed' to work on the last day.

Anyway, at the after-party in the Holiday Inn, I went up to the organizer and told her how I felt...

First, I told her that competition is a really BAD idea at a busking festival. It is impossible to judge a street show. We are not athletes competing against one another. We're entertainers trying to entertain people. We know how good we are by the reaction of our crowds and the size of our hats. I don't want or need a trophy for performing... I do it because I love it. And I certainly don't want the owner of the local pizza shop telling me he liked the pan-flute band better than me, but that's another story.

Secondly, I told her that the performers at her festival pay their own way to get to Kingston. Some of them come a LONG way to sleep in a dorm with NO financial guarantees. Yet, we're told we can't do any street performing on the SUNDAY of a 4 day festival! I was pissed. In 1995, it rained on Thursday night, leaving Friday and Saturday as the only days I actually worked. Sunday was a beautiful day and I was told I couldn't perform. Bummer.

Lastly, I told her the Finale show should be "Inclusive" and not "Exclusive." It's a final show, a wrap-up... anyone who took part in the festival should be able to take part in the last show. Not everyone wants to be in a finale show, but anyone who does want to, should have the opportunity to. It's really, really cold to tell a performer they can't perform in a group show if they actually ask to!

I gave her my opinions and she really seemed surprised and asked me to call her directly after the festival and she would definitely incorporate my ideas into the next year's festival. So I called and talked to her for about an hour on ways to improve the festival. She invited me back and I told her I'd gladly come as long as there was no competition and that acts were allowed to work all 4 days. She said fine.

So I arrived in 1996. The crowds were great again, I still liked the town and the parties seemed to be bigger. But then I received a memo about Sunday performing... The streets would be closed from 11-1 and everyone would be allowed ONE street show on Sunday. OK, fine, I guess... They really wanted to leave plenty of time for the group "Finale Show."

Then I saw a list of 10 acts titled "Finale Show Performers." There were 10 chosen acts... and I didn't make the list, again! Now I was pissed. I went right up and told the organizer, again, how the finale show needed to include everyone! Not just 10 acts... She came back about an hour later with a proposition... She told me that I, along with Jeff Collins (who also didn't make it in) would be able to perform in the finale show, but that we'd have to 'compete' as a team act... we wouldn't be able to do a solo bit. I said, "What do you mean 'compete?' I thought this was a 'show' and not a competition..." She said, "Well, it's not a 'competition' but there ARE going to be judges and there will be prizes... but it's not a competition."

I told her no thanks. I refused to take part. Jeff Collins stepped out, too, and I think Little Joe, who was invited to be in the show, also boycotted. I watched from the sidelines and didn't help collect money in the end.

I don't think I really talked to the organizer after that. She knew how I felt. I left with a bad taste in my mouth. It's too bad. Because Kingston has great crowds and is a cool little town, but the organization of the festival is all wrong.

I've been asked to come back to Kingston each year since 1996. I get their application in the mail every year. But I've decided that I don't want to do that kind of festival anymore. Nothing against the people of Kingston, it's just that I don't want to drive all the way up there paying expenses out of my own pocket, getting put up in a dorm a mile from the pitch and then excluded from performing in what's billed as a "Group Show" (with judges and prizes) on the last day.

That's my $.012 cents CDN.

Jim
Old 09-05-01, 12:30 PM   #3
martin ewen

Question

My questions are..
What does anyone owe Kingston?
Who really benefits from the group show?
After the dorms and the 'packages' what other expenses do they outlet?
Who produces it? ie Local council, business associasion? individual.
I've heard of it for years, written it off as an international flypitching suckhole.
Leave it for the bottomfeeders for a year or so and write to the local paper representively and see who crawls out of the woodwork to defend the present admin.
Then turn the public against them.
If the local council is set in stone then an unhappy public and its voting potential can often be useful.
Start grooming a local for council.
(invade poland as a diversion)
It sounds like the well of goodwill is empty.
About time, greed and missplaced nievity seem to be all its survived on since the comps started.
Does any performer need this fest more than it needs them?
Coup coup a choo.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-01, 04:35 PM   #4
Rex Boyd
Kansas Man in Exile

I haven't been to Kingston since 1990 and 1993 but I too keep getting the invitation form letter.

I agree that the city is great, the audiences are great, and that the buskers are not given quite the respect they deserve. If you do go and still are being messed about by a competition finale ( here or at any other similar festival ) do what I did in 1990 and just do your own show immediately after the grand finale. I guarantee that you will make more money that the other acts who are supposedly better than you because they got invited to the big show and you didn't. And yes I was in the final 10 in 1993 and won a prize of some sort but I would have been much happier to have a day of busking finished off by a REAL team show.

Rex

www.rexboyd.co.uk
Rex Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-01, 08:17 PM   #5
Peter Voice

This Festival approached us (Chalk Circle) late last year after hearing we would be in Canada. I asked them what the deal was and was sent some details. I emailed back saying I found no mention of fees or travel expenses and never heard from them again. I thought they were not only niaive to think that a 2-3 person act can come all the way from Aust. and commit themselves to a festival that offers no consideration to the costs and risks involved but they topped it off by being downright rude in not answering my enquiry (esp. since they contacted me).
A little respect goes a long way.
PS I wonder if anyone from their admin. will have the courage or conviction to join this discussion. They do read and use these boards.

[This message has been edited by Peter Voice (edited 09-05-2001).]
Old 09-06-01, 07:12 AM   #6
Caisiy

Hey there me again. I had a much bigger letter that was not nearly as nice but much more detailed (day by day) than the one that I sent and posted. I made a note on the letter that I was posting this letter on performers.net as well, they know where it is.
I felt as though my point just needed to be made. I am glad that there are some others out there not afraid to post their feelings as well. I have spoken to a number of other performers that have worked this festival and been told that they have made recommendations (ie.. no more Train Pitch, a pitch behind a locomotive that has never worked and will never work but is used as some where to "put" a show) and that the response from the organizers has been very happy to take into consideration all suggestions, but nothing ever changes. I spoke Bike Boy who said that he told the organizers how he felt as well and was not received well. I don't know what will make a difference.
I just don't want other people to go to this festival with stars in their eyes thinking that it is all happy and sunshine when the organizers are just using the Performers (buskers). I went with that idea, maybe that is why I felt so hurt in the end beyond the unprofessional disrespect.
Caisiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-01, 11:05 AM   #7
Bri

Send a message via ICQ to Bri
Butterfly

Festivals really need to be paying travel and some sort of per diem, in addition to treating the acts with respect, and taking their comments into consideration.

Acts should start saying no to festivals who don't pay a per diem, or travel expenses. Only by saying no will performers ever affect any change. It's not just a matter of syaing no, it's a matter of explaining why not.

Events like the Kingston busker Festival generate a huge amount of tourist dollars. Yet somehow the festival cannot managed to pay the acts a stipend? Isn't it strange how that works?

There's my nickel.

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-01, 02:34 PM   #8
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Hat

For many years I refused to do the Kingston Fest ... I guess my attitude was there is no way I can fly all the way there and back, rent a car in Toronto, spend thousands of dollars on beer and still do only one or two shows a week and make it pay. Honestly, how can anyone? Do people normally lose money going to a gig?

But then because I had heard of all the wild parties and great stories from other acts that had been there. So I begged Kumi to let me go, using her airline discount and borrowing $500 from Gazzo (well, OK, maybe that’s not true).

The Kingston people sent an old guy with his own car all the way to Toronto to pick me up. He was there when I arrived at around 5 a.m. and I felt obligated to listen to stories about his pathetic life all the way to Kingston. Little did I realize then that this sort of ability to pretend to be interested in somebody else’s problems would come in so handy years later when I helped organize a festival myself.

Now that I’ve seen the street fest thing from both sides of the coin, so to speak, I feel I can share my extensive knowledge with others. Here it is ... are you ready? ... they are in business for themselves.

Surprise, surprise! They don’t really care about you. They don’t even really want to have you around. But there is this little ‘thing’ that only you can do that “entertains” the people who are important to them. So they smile (clenched teeth) and allow you to come visit their little town. Just do “whatever it is that you do” and “just don’t cause any trouble, please!”

Sorry, if you thought you were loved and cherished by administrations, festival organizers and city officials but you are not. You are simply a part of the bottom line, the bottom part.

But what about Edmonton, you say? The great Dick Finkle! “I’ve heard stories!” Sorry, boys and girls, he is one of a kind and the only reason his legacy persists with the festival circuit now is because Shelley was part of his original plan. You don’t see big cuddly hugs coming from Nova Scotia do you? And the reason Nelson, Windsor and Waterloo seem to heed the call ... again, the legacy of Finkle. He changed the face of street performing festivals in Canada, and around the world ... because he c-a-r-e-d. The others just fake it well.

The smarter producers get a hold of knowledgeable street acts and query them as to their needs, desires and wishes. Then they figure out what you will accept and what is best for them and adjust accordingly. Usually “what you will accept” is the part that gets adjusted.

So that’s the bad news. The good news is, I had a blast in Kingston ... hung out with Hélio, Muki, the Dutchmen etc. and even won some stupid award that I hide behind my closet door.

Competition? ... hah hah hah hah ... You’re not joking? A HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

So, my princes of pavement, kings of new asphalt ... that’s the reality check... just remember, they can’t ever do what you can do, and never will be able to, but you can always do whatever it is that they can do whenever you feel like you ever would want to.

But please don’t!
Old 09-09-01, 09:03 PM   #9
mommaK

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Butterfly Man:

You don’t see big cuddly hugs coming from Nova Scotia do you?

In response....I am a performer coordinator who is employed by a festival organizer, who(yes, believe it or not) cares about the performers. It's true. I came into this career because of my love for performers/performing.
Should you require references, I'd be more than happy to give them to you!

And as far as hugs from Halifax....it's too bad that we didn't get to work together Robert. You would have gotten plenty from me....or at least we would have had a few beers together.

mommaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-01, 02:47 AM   #10
Chance

Okay, MommaK, you care. But next time could you maybe care enough to tell us exactly WHICH festival you work with... and possibly offer enough contact information so that we buskers could initiate professional contact with your organization? Forgive me, but reading what amounts to an anonymous letter from someone so interested in our situation seems a little insincere.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-01, 07:31 PM   #11
mommaK

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Chance:
Okay, MommaK, you care. But next time could you maybe care enough to tell us exactly WHICH festival you work with... and possibly offer enough contact information so that we buskers could initiate professional contact with your organization? Forgive me, but reading what amounts to an anonymous letter from someone so interested in our situation seems a little insincere.
Sorry....I work for the Halifax International Busker Festival, also worked on Singapore River Busker Festival. Should you require any additional info about the festival, let me know...but I think most performers are aware of these 2 festivals?

My name is Kelly McKeigan and I'm sorry that you felt that I was coming off insincere...that I'm not.

mommaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-01, 08:11 PM   #12
Jim
Your Host

Australia

How about keeping this topic on Kingston...

I'm starting a new one on Halifax.
Old 09-13-01, 06:16 AM   #13
Chance

Alright then, keeping on line with Kingston I will offer my .02...

Kingston was my first-ever buskers festival, and I was invited to attend the 1996 event. (This is also where I met a guy named Jim! for the first time.) I had no idea what to expect, and had no previous festival experiences to compare it to. All of my early impressions about the private rooms, breakfast buffet, and restaurant coupons were generally positive. If it had been left at that I probably would have little negative to add to the other letters here.

But there is that last day which still bugs me. All during the festival the crowds were encouraged to take around a souvenir booklet and get the autographs of all the acts. There was also a voting form they were to fill out in order to select the best acts of the festival. All voting was to be by the audiences, and not at all by the Organizers, who were only supposed to tally the votes and announce the "winners".

On the morning of the last day, when the tally was announced, I saw that I did not make the cut. But many of us had not made the cut, so no biggie -- maybe next time. And then one of the office people took me aside to let me know that I actually HAD made the short list. In fact, according to her I had one of the highest voting rates of that year. But, she added, that the sponsors present, the ones paying the bills, had complained that not enough "local" talent was on the list (too many Americans is how it was put to me) and that it was preferred that changes were made accordingly. So "changes" were made to please the sponsors, and some American acts were taken out of the finale show and replaced with Canadian.

To add insult to injury, the next year I was refused to even join the festival -- although they had no problem at all using my picture from the previous year in their promotional material. A local friend mailed me a copy the the '97 brochure, and there I was: the featured act promoting a festival I was refused from joining. How's that for Kingston hospitality?

[This message has been edited by Chance (edited 09-13-2001).]
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-01, 11:18 AM   #14
Prof Willie B

Suerte, are you sure she wasn't just spinning you a line because (God forbid) she might want to fuck you?
I guess you're right.
Prof Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-01, 11:50 AM   #15
Jim
Your Host

Prof, that was uncalled for.
Chance, let it go.

Can't we just stay on topic and continue bashing Kingston?

Jim

Old 10-11-01, 08:30 PM   #16
BFlat

Ass

Well, wel, well... this is interesting stuff to know about. This year me and my band got approached to perform at some festival in Kingston. I dunno if it was the Kingston Busker Rendevous or what, but I do remember thinking it was a little strange for a busker festival to approach a music band like mine.

I replied back to them, asking for more specifications about the gig (accomodation, transport, etc) and then I was outraged to learn that they were expecting us to go all the way to Kingston for free! I mean, no offence, I know that several buskers would do this, taking a chang=ce that they'll make enough in their hats.

But in the case of my band, it's a 12 pieces brass band. How are we supposed to get there? Hitch-hike? I don't think so. You need a bus to travel a 12 musicians band and their instruments. That costs a lot of money. More than there can be inside any hat, that's for sure. And I still can't believe that there are festivals out there who have the nerve, or the ignorance (I'm not sure which it is) to ask performers, who are professionals to come to their festival without offering them any kind of insurance or compensation, weather it's a 12 peice band or a single performer. I just think that that is a lack of respect.

And then to hold such stupid competition, and forbid some to perfom at the finale, that's plain non-sense.

Well you probably guessed that my band didn't show-up at that gig. We went somewhere else where they payed us. I say that you always get for what your money's worth. Eventually, festivals like these are only gonna get poor performing acts because they are beeing so cheap.
BFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-07, 10:31 PM   #17
FireNix

Default Have things improved?

Greetings
We have just been offered Kingston and I want to enquire as to wether things have got any better since the last part of this thread a few years ago.
I would never usually do a festival for free. Travelling from Europe for 2 would seem ridiculous to many - myself included. But I have heard the hats are LARGE. The audiences really nice and we really want to expand into the Candian and US markets for next season - which means we need to get ourselves out there.
4 days seems like a good amount to recoup our expences, but if theyre still doing the last days 'comp' it really isnt worth the risk for 3 days, especially if one or more is lost from weather.
Any info would be greatfuly recieved.
I know I am one of those buskers that should be boycotting the non-paying festies. But our season is looking SO thin in Europe this year that we have to look at other options.
You can slate me if you want, but Im sure weve all been there.
Thanks in advance for peoples advice or info
Peas
Old 03-24-07, 02:24 PM   #18
Mr.Taxi Trix

Sounds like a very speculative journey to me. I did Kingston. Once. I certainly wouldn't spend a flight on it.
Safer to do a local, non-performance festival for hatpass.
I think competitions are bogus, but more importantly, the trend of festivals dipping into performer's hats is a very sad one. It is beyond distasteful.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-07, 04:51 PM   #19
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Hat apparently I can also leave a bad taste in your mouth

Kingston was/is kinda in the middle of the two Canadian arch rival street camps and has survived, I believe, primarily on this basis ... availability.

If it fits in your itinerary to be in the neighborhood then by all means … go … it’s quite a lovely place and Canadians might just be the best audiences in the world.

Like Karl, I'm also a one-timer ... even received the "award" (a tacky garish plaque advertizing their festival) for my stellar performance at the closing ceremonies. The competition seemed a thin veil in which the organizers wanted to pat themselves on the back ... I don't know if they actually took money from anyone ... they certainly didn't get any from me.

I must agree with Taxi on the (I heard but I won’t mention any names) festival “hat-dipping” although I’m shocked to hear it is becoming a trend. I have no problem with performers sharing hats on a collaborative basis or giving it (willingly) to a charitable cause but to allow a producer to “take a cut” of the hat seems to qualify as a sin against street performing.

We should either kill any producer that would do that sort of thing or get them to book Gazzo ... either way, they're finished.
Old 03-24-07, 10:52 PM   #20
FireNix

Thanks for the advice
Ive chatted to a few people who did it last year - and it seems that the last day comp has been done away with - good news and that they are handing out feedbacksheets - so seem to be at least paying lip service to performers thoughts. Wether these get read or used.....
From what I gather, I shall go only if there's another few gigs either side of that weekend - Any ideas people?
NB - Whats this about taking a cut if performers hats? - Thats outrageous. How on earth does that work and more importantly how do they get away with it!!
Its bad enough festies not paying performers travel and stipend (near enough free entertainment), but to then skim their takings - thats pretty much stealing aint it? or more exactly pimping!!
Thats where I would draw the line and I feel like im whoring myself abit, by thinking about doing a fest thats not paying expences
Again thanks people for your thoughts. I'm off to trawl the net for other potentials in July around East Cananda
Peas