performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 09-04-04, 08:06 PM   #1
abe_normal

Default Favorite complement

You never know who or how you're going to effect your crowds. Today after I finshed doing a show a woman came up to me and told me that her granddaughter had been in a horrible house fire 2 yrs. ago and ever since she has been deathly afraid of fire to the point of running away from a lighter. She then told me that her granddaughter had laughed and clapped all through the fire parts of my act. She thanked me for showing her daughter that if you're careful and act smart about fire it doesn't have to be so scary. I was just wondering if anybody else has had an unexpected effect on someone in the crowd.
abe_normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 02:56 PM   #2
$cottbox

Send a message via ICQ to $cottbox Send a message via AIM to $cottbox Send a message via Yahoo to $cottbox

Yeah I busk my beatboxing, many people after I perform are inspired to start their own beatboxing, many stop with frustraion it seems, it takes years upon years to have your stuff on pat. You need to be devoted to aquire any talent!!

Keep the smoke rollin!
Keep the beats pumpin!

don''t let the HEAT out the COLD
$cottbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 07:04 PM   #3
em

i sometimes get things like "its great that you can be so ugly" or "its great to see a funny woman"....never quite sure if thats a complement, are women meant to be beautiful and not funny?
em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 09:24 PM   #4
Dan Tastik

Send a message via ICQ to Dan Tastik

an eight year old boy. "you are cooler than the people on Fear Factor."

happened nearly two years ago and i still treasure it.
Old 09-06-04, 01:05 AM   #5
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Butterfly "you rock, old dude" - Edmonton '98

Someone called me:

"transcendentally abusive"

I'm not sure what it means or what they meant but I love the feeling I get when I do it.
Old 09-06-04, 07:45 AM   #6
pablo

Default My favorite flattering comment frrom a client...

would have to be:

"You kick ass!" from Jan Bilgen at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater

I wanted to put her quote on my website & t-shirts, but Jan wouldn't give me permission to use it. Rats.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 12:52 PM   #7
Doctor Eric

I told this twelve-year-old heckler (who claimed he had freedom of speech) that I have freedom of foot, and I'd kick his little ass up and down the street, as well as a bunch of other stuff, after the show, his Dad came up with a big smile, shook my hand and said "He needed to hear everything you told him, thank you!"

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 01:21 PM   #8
Pyromancer

[brag mode=ON]

"You burn brighter than the torches in your hands!" and
"You are the best fireperformer I have ever seen..."

Unfortunately, I heared this so many times, it's getting boring...

[brag mode=OFF]
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 01:31 PM   #9
martin ewen

Lurk

This beautiful unblemished woman skipped up to me wide-eyed after a show and thanked me and explained that she had been a blind cripple with eczema before being wheeled to the front of my crowd.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 07:37 PM   #10
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Thumbs Up

A kid leaving the audience after my show said to her friend, "That was not appropriate for children."

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~

Last edited by Stephon; 09-07-04 at 09:51 AM.
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-04, 12:28 AM   #11
Kim

Stop

I was given a 2kg trophy and a twisted ankle for landing on 4 rows of children
Old 10-29-06, 06:49 PM   #12
jayrodin

Send a message via AIM to jayrodin

I did Riverfest in Wichita KS (my home) right before I left to travel the states. This old bum came up to me with a handfull of change while I was taking a break and said "Man, it took me a few hours to panhandle all of this and usually I'd spend it on drugs but man, you are like a drug all in yourself.".

Another time this dude came up to me after I was done playing gave me a long firm handshake telling me he was sorry he didn't have any money but he'd just gotten out of jail and blah blah blah, but he told me he was so down that day seeing my show saved his life.

These are pretty much the only compliments that have ever meant anything to me.
Old 10-30-06, 03:06 PM   #13
jesus

Send a message via Yahoo to jesus

About an hour after a show at a festival in Galveston Texas a kid saw me walking by and said, :
"Hey you're that man in that nasty show!"
I might add that it was said with great glee.

"an honorable and decent human being"
jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-06, 04:19 PM   #14
em

Default hmm

A 9 year old boy came up to me the day after a show and said "you're Nigella Lawson, the crack whore!"

.....i didn't know what to say...what was that child doing watching that car crash of a show at Glastonbury anyway?

Sorry no-one out there will get the reference...its an english thing...

Needless to say the show got banned...it needed to.
x
em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 02:55 AM   #15
The Pretty Good

Send a message via AIM to The Pretty Good
Default A handshake

So I was shut down in Union Sq tonight by the police. The crowd was a rowdy drunken mess. In true form they all started to boo the Police. I jumped onto my case, blew my whistle and told he crowd not to boo them. In the same breath mentioned I was here for money. When I got off my case to collect The cop who shut me down was waiting to shake my hand. And his buddies added "we already told you to stop, why not call it a night."
Old 11-01-06, 07:42 AM   #16
jayrodin

double post read the above.
Old 11-01-06, 07:42 AM   #17
jayrodin

Speaking of cops.

My second performance ever-

It was 2 am and the bars were letting out. I had the biggest drunkest crowd ever, prolly fifty people or more. The cherry on top was the choir of five or six fat drunk men standing behind me. I was in the middle of Folsom Prison by Johnny Cash, my last song of the night, when that same damn cop who yelled at me the prior Friday pulled up. He slammed on his breaks bringing the cruiser to a screeching halt right in front of me and jumped out furious. He stomped up and shoved his finger right into my face. "What did I tell you- No panhandling!" I tried to explain that the ordinance had passed but he just continued yelling "Okay, where's your permit then?" "I don't have a permit. You don't need-" "Oh yeah? well you know how I know you don't have one?! Because they havn't started issuing them yet!" "I’ve got the ordinance in my car. Will you please just read the thing? I'll go get it." "This is my beat kid! MY BEAT. You don't think I know what the laws are around here???" Some guy from the crowd interrupted him “What man, you don’t like Johnny Cash?” “Well, yes I do but-“ “Just let him finish the song!” someone else yelled “Yeah, just let him finish the song.” "Let the kid finish the song." A few people began to chant "FREE SPEACH FREE SPEACH" Now he was trying to explain to everyone that he was sorry he had to kick me out but it was illegal and the law was the law- blah blah blah blah blah. In the middle of his spiel the big fat drunk man quire started chanting "FUCK THE POLICE! FUCK THE POLICE! FUCK THE POLICE!" laughing and getting real rowdy. No one was listening to him anymore. He had lost control. He paused just looking around the crowd for a second then turned back to me getting right up in my face, eye to eye "You better be gone by the time I get back or you're going to jail." Keeping his voice real low so only I could hear it. I couldn’t help but just stand there with that cocky little grin on my face realizing in that moment me, some skinny pimple faced kid with nothing but a drum on his back had become more powerful than the biggest baddest cop in Old Town. He ran back to his car giving me one last vindictive look before he slammed the door and speeding off. I watched his tale lights in disbelief as he drove all the way down the street till finally disappearing around a corner. I then turned back to my crowd and raised my hands in the air "Ladies and Gentlemen, apparently free speech is illegal in some parts of our great country these days but if you insist on showering me with more money before I pack up I'm sure there is certainly nothing the good cops of Wichita Kansas can do about it!" Everyone laughed and applauded, and came to me with money overflowing, thanking me for the show, and expressing their "fond" feelings for the cop. I parted the crowd and packed up for fear he would come back with his buddies. I didn’t want to get hassled anymore, and I certainly didn't want any of those poor drunk bastards to do something stupid and get themselves into trouble. I swear, they were the most glorious fat drunk men you’ll ever see. As I was walking back to my car a camero full of frat boys stopped “Hold on a second!” An Indian kid (as in- a kid from India) about my age climbed out of the back and walked over to me. He handed me a five, and said "Fuck de police." just like that other indian kid off that 70's show would say it. haha.... I just smiled and shook my head and waved them off. Oh what a night.

I tracked down the cop a couple days later and after kissing some ass got him to read the ordinance with me. I didn't have any problems after that but unfortunantly he actually DID know the law now which meant no performing after 10 : / which inturn meant now more big drunk crowds.

Last edited by jayrodin; 11-01-06 at 07:44 AM.
jayrodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 07:42 AM   #18
jayrodin

Speaking of cops.

My second performance ever-

It was 2 am and the bars were letting out. I had the biggest drunkest crowd ever, prolly fifty people or more. The cherry on top was the choir of five or six fat drunk men standing behind me. I was in the middle of Folsom Prison by Johnny Cash, my last song of the night, when that same damn cop who yelled at me the prior Friday pulled up. He slammed on his breaks bringing the cruiser to a screeching halt right in front of me and jumped out furious. He stomped up and shoved his finger right into my face. "What did I tell you- No panhandling!" I tried to explain that the ordinance had passed but he just continued yelling "Okay, where's your permit then?" "I don't have a permit. You don't need-" "Oh yeah? well you know how I know you don't have one?! Because they havn't started issuing them yet!" "I’ve got the ordinance in my car. Will you please just read the thing? I'll go get it." "This is my beat kid! MY BEAT. You don't think I know what the laws are around here???" Some guy from the crowd interrupted him “What man, you don’t like Johnny Cash?” “Well, yes I do but-“ “Just let him finish the song!” someone else yelled “Yeah, just let him finish the song.” "Let the kid finish the song." A few people began to chant "FREE SPEACH FREE SPEACH" Now he was trying to explain to everyone that he was sorry he had to kick me out but it was illegal and the law was the law- blah blah blah blah blah. In the middle of his spiel the big fat drunk man quire started chanting "FUCK THE POLICE! FUCK THE POLICE! FUCK THE POLICE!" laughing and getting real rowdy. No one was listening to him anymore. He had lost control. He paused just looking around the crowd for a second then turned back to me getting right up in my face, eye to eye "You better be gone by the time I get back or you're going to jail." Keeping his voice real low so only I could hear it. I couldn’t help but just stand there with that cocky little grin on my face realizing in that moment me, some skinny pimple faced kid with nothing but a drum on his back had become more powerful than the biggest baddest cop in Old Town. He ran back to his car giving me one last vindictive look before he slammed the door and speeding off. I watched his tale lights in disbelief as he drove all the way down the street till finally disappearing around a corner. I then turned back to my crowd and raised my hands in the air "Ladies and Gentlemen, apparently free speech is illegal in some parts of our great country these days but if you insist on showering me with more money before I pack up I'm sure there is certainly nothing the good cops of Wichita Kansas can do about it!" Everyone laughed and applauded, and came to me with money overflowing, thanking me for the show, and expressing their "fond" feelings for the cop. I parted the crowd and packed up for fear he would come back with his buddies. I didn’t want to get hassled anymore, and I certainly didn't want any of those poor drunk bastards to do something stupid and get themselves into trouble. I swear, they were the most glorious fat drunk men you’ll ever see. As I was walking back to my car a camero full of frat boys stopped “Hold on a second!” An Indian kid (as in- a kid from India) about my age climbed out of the back and walked over to me. He handed me a five, and said "Fuck de police." just like that other indian kid off that 70's show would say it. haha.... I just smiled and shook my head and waved them off. Oh what a night.

I later tracked down that cop and after kissing a little ass got him to read the ordinance with me. Didn't have any problems after that.