performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 11-14-01, 11:47 AM   #1
Lynneski

Apple Movin on up the road; Waterloo and Dundas contact changes

After nearly 7 years in various roles with the Waterloo Busker Carnival, I am moving on for next season. I'm pleased to say that it looks like I will be programming for the Dundas Buskerfest for 2002.

Dundas, Ontario is a short trip from downtown Toronto (maybe 45 minutes) and an even shorter one from Hamilton. Dundas is a small town community within the Greater Toronto Area of 6 million (ish) people. The festival runs Friday evening until Sunday evening, May 31 through June 2, 2002. It is, at present, the first street event of the season in our part of the world. The festival presents about 18-24 artists from a variety of discliplines, and a combination of regional, domestic and international talent.

The Toronto Busker Festival, programmed for the last 2 years by Kim Hendrickson of Halifax, takes place two weekends later. Work is ongoing on efforts to develop another festival within a reasonable drive of both events to fill in the weekend between and make logical tour possibilities.

I am now accepting applications for next year's festival. Please mail your tape and package to:

Lynne Sosnowski
Executive Producer
EVENTS!(etc)
Re: Dundas Buskerfest
81 Roslin Avenue South
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
N2L 2G9
Phone 519-741-1249

Or email your site's URL to EVENTS_etc@hotmail.com

The Waterloo Busker Carnival is unique among street festivals around the world, in that ALL the organizers are volunteers. It's an all-for-one, one-for-all environment that has worked splendidly for the past 14 years. And one of Waterloo's basic constructs arises from a mandate that no one volunteer shall stay in the same role beyond two years. It's a policy that keeps individuals from becoming entrenched in their role, in "empire building", and so helps to maintain the festivals' creative focus as a shared experience. Alas, I have just completed two years of having the most fabulous time programming for Waterloo. And while the new Carnival Chairperson has not yet announced who is filling each of the seats for 2002, it is likely that someone else will be given the opportunity to carry the clipboard. Artists wishing to apply to Waterloo may do so by mail to:

Waterloo Busker Carnival
100 Regina Street South
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
N2J 4A8

or can email through the website at www.waterloo-buskers.com

If you have sent me an application for Waterloo since August of this year, please let me know if you want to be considered for both events, and we'll do our best to share your information and save you sending out another package.

To all the folks - artists and organizers alike - that I've worked with over the years in Waterloo, I bid you a fond adieu and promise I'm not going to be too far away. It's been a life-changing and life-affirming experience. And I'm really looking forward to seeing many old friends and meeting a few new ones in a new place. My thanks to Bill Powell, who's work and friendship I have cherished for a good part of the past two decades, for welcoming me to the Dundas family.

Let the dance begin!
Lynne