performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 01-28-05, 09:12 PM   #1
Riot Nrrrd

Default fire breathing - new fuel?

Hiya;
Alright, so we all know that straight ethanol (everclear) is too volatile for fire breathing, and that ethanol + water (strong whiskey) has too weak a flame, and that kerosene has favourable chemical properties but is dang toxic and tastes bad.

BUT today I mixed ethanol with glycerin, and got a tasty consumable fluid with a decent flame which is not volatile enough to be lit as a fluid, but burns in a wick.

I'm thinking of trying a test-blow with this concoction, but wanted to first check with y'all in buskerland to see if anybody sees a mighty flaw in the plan, or if anybody's tried this before.

Thoughts?

Calum/
Riot Nrrrd,
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Riot Nrrrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 11:57 AM   #2
gav

Default did you take the risk?

Just wondering if you ended up taking the risk with your cocktail.
I don't fire breath any more, because I honestly don't believe that there is a suitable combustible fuel that isn't bad for your health. Having said that, i used to use kerosene many years ago in Australia. There is now such a thing as odourless kerosene which is apparently less toxic. Turns out that they add toxic blue smelly crap to the normal kerosene to make it less appealing to accidently drink it.
Also odourless lamp oil could be good. Ask at a hardware store or do a search on the web.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-05, 04:23 PM   #3
jester

Jester

I have often been told. Never EVER use Lamp Oil.

It is extremely toxic I am told.

jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-05, 11:17 AM   #4
gav

Default hmmm

perhaps there are different kinds, I was talking about parifin based ones, but neglected to mention that. Parifin must be relatively non toxic,as it's used in medicinal and cosmetic products.
Still like I said, I haven't touched a drop of any of it in many many years.
Old 04-06-05, 11:40 AM   #5
jester

Jester

Yes. Lamp Oil in UK is something entirely different.

Parrafin has blue stuff put into it to stop people from drinking it. However, it is pretty much as poisonous without.

I always am impressed with fire eaters, and then I kind of wish that they could have a toxin free safe fuel....

jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 05:34 AM   #6
gav

Default if anyones interested

here's a link to some apparently non toxic lamp oil from france. I'm sure I've seen similar stuff elsewhere.
Still, I wouldn't put it in my mouth, but I know peolpe who would.
http://www.aiglon-france.com/product..._for_lamps.htm
Old 04-07-05, 10:09 AM   #7
ben woodling

Send a message via Yahoo to ben woodling

Quote:
I always am impressed with fire eaters, and then I kind of wish that they could have a toxin free safe fuel....
How thoughtful. *nods head in approval*

I use parrafin from a local garage as its the only one I've found that dosn't have additional chemicals in it to dye it,other than the specific fire performance fuels (which I've never tried anyway).
I think the brand is bartoline its also seems to be less smokey than other fuels I've tried.

On the ethanol note; is it not possible to become "drunk" from the fumes of this atall? surely that could be just as dangerous?
Old 04-07-05, 04:17 PM   #8
Pyromancer

Lamp oil is about the safest fuel to use, Jester. Unfortunately, many fire people tend to invent their own myths around their behaviour and how dangerous it is, what they do and spread them as the truth after that.

RiotNerd Nrrrd, I have been thinking about the same cocktail as well. I never tried it. Partly because I consider oil in my lungs the biggest risk of firebreathing. Glycerin with alcohol in your lungs will just as likely lead to a chemical pneumonia as paraffin in your lungs does.
Having said that, I am interested in the outcome of your experiment. But before you start, rub a little bit on your finger and try to light it, to see how it behaves...
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 04:19 PM   #9
Pyromancer

Default Re: if anyones interested

Quote:
Originally posted by gav
here's a link to some apparently non toxic lamp oil from france. I'm sure I've seen similar stuff elsewhere.
Still, I wouldn't put it in my mouth, but I know peolpe who would.
http://www.aiglon-france.com/product..._for_lamps.htm
It's the same as Ultrapure Lamp Oil sold in Northern America. And in many other places it's sold as lamp oil. Although I found the ultra pure stuff I bought in the US and Canada even slightly cleaner than the lamp oil I usually buy in the Netherlands. But that's how I feel it and the way I see my skin reakt to the stuff. Subjective experience, no chemical analisys.

Last edited by Pyromancer; 04-07-05 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-07-05, 07:31 PM   #10
Mr.Taxi Trix

A kid at a college gig today told me he uses menthol rubbing alcohol. Anyone ever try that?

I used to use coleman's fuel, fairly tastless, huge fire. Switched to lighter fluid when needing to eat the fire right after blowing a fire ball. How bad for you are these fuels? Has anyonne done research?
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-05, 10:34 PM   #11
Lynneski

Hmmm, innerestin question there, Taxi pal. We all seem to have heard tale of the liver-damaged, carelessly young passings of fuel breathers, nu? How apocryphal are these tales? I don't need a "show me yer scars" segment, but some first-hand evidence would be good.

I do hear that the Toronto area folks what do fire spits not so long ago decided to set a rate for themselves, for the purposes of TV and film production, of $X per spit (where X was rumoured to be $1000). Even if the spit didn't take or the take didn't work, it was $1000 once the fuel went in the mouth. The danger was incurred, so was the expense.

My position on fire has always been, "Hey, this ain't the *illusion* of danger, this is *real* danger".

Then again, so's saying the word "sponsorship" in a federal office these days.
Old 04-08-05, 06:21 AM   #12
Pyromancer

Taxi, using Coleman fuel for firebreathing is about the most stupid choice one can make... It's way too flammable and the risks of getting burned by a little bit of spoiled fuel is very high. Before you know it, you look like this guy: when it goes wrong!

About that Tornoto tale: it's good to hype yourself and what you do every now and then, but come on, one can overdo it a little bit. If you use ultra pure lamp oil, the stuff is pretty damn close to the stuff that is used for medical purposes, like nose drops and to lubricate the tubes that have to be slid into a poor man's... well, you can fill that in. They might be some carcinogenics left in the fuel, but every person living in a city breaths a lot of that stuff.

If someone thinks firebreathing is really that dangerous that it should cost a 1000 dollars every time one puts oil in his mouth, I suggest that person can better sell a kidney on the black market. Much safer and it enables you to do something you actually like doing afterwards.

I have been firebreathing for eight years now and actually, quite a lot. My teeth haven't fallen out, because I clean them twice a day, just like everybody else. Yes, I have had a chemical pneumonia once that costed me a month to recover and some milder lung irritations twice. But hey, every seen any acrobat performing their carreer without any injuries?

Yes, it is dangerous. But it should not be a reason to avoid firebreathers, I have heared some horrible stories of injuries caused by high unicycles as well, harming both the performer and the spectators.

And in case you have any doubt whether I have the right to speak about the matter: this movie clip will take your doubts away,

Last edited by Pyromancer; 04-08-05 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-08-05, 07:27 AM   #13
Mr.Taxi Trix

Pyro, what Toronto tale? Your top link leads to a men's cute picture site, is this what happens when coleman's fuel is used too often, you wind up cruising girlie sites? Gav, your link looks like the cleanest stuff I've seen. I will try the ultra pure lamp oil, if I can find it here in the states.

Nobody ever tried menthol rubbing alcohol, then?
Old 04-08-05, 07:28 AM   #14
Mr.Taxi Trix

ps... Where can I sell a kidney on the black market?
Old 04-08-05, 07:31 AM   #15
Pyromancer

Call it an obsession, but I didn't even notice nekkid women there, just focused on the video of a man getting burned badly aftere breathing...

With the Toronto tale I was referring to Lennesky, who suggested "the Toronto area folks what do fire spits not so long ago decided to set a rate for themselves, for the purposes of TV and film production, of $X per spit (where X was rumoured to be $1000)"
Old 04-08-05, 09:42 AM   #16
gav

Default it could hurt

Taxi, rubbing alcohol is way too flamable. The risk of getting it on you and going up in flames is far too great.
As for the Toronto story, I know the guy who charged that much, and I think it was the right thing to do. It was after all a major motion picture and no matter how good you are, there is always a risk when breathing fire. You'd be mad not to get paid as much as you can for doing it.
My personal gripe about fire breathers is that if you share a pitch with them and you go on after them, normally the pitch is covered in very slippery excess fuel !! It sucks big time.
Even the most experienced breathers have been known to do this.
Old 04-08-05, 10:24 AM   #17
Pyromancer

Default Re: it could hurt

Quote:
Originally posted by gav
Even the most experienced breathers have been known to do this.
That's why I now always carry an old towel with me, to clean up any spoiled fuel afterwards...

But I agree with you many fireperformers leave a mess and that sucks!
Old 04-08-05, 03:56 PM   #18
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromancer

Call it an obsession, but I didn't even notice nekkid women there, just focused on the video of a man getting burned badly aftere breathing...

the link didn't work on my mac either. it must be a compatability thing with safari or somthing. I did like the pics of all the hot modles.
and pyro, that video of you is killer. I am very impressed!

ok, I've been known to eat a torch or blow a fire ball from time to time (almost never). I heard that milk helps coat your mouth, stomach, throat and washes oil away. myth or fact?
I found the ultra pure lamp oil at craft hoby shops that sell stuff most art stores should sell and more. Target or wall mart might have it.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 04:38 PM   #19
eurobuskers

Default no comment

Im originally from Ireland,
no comment.
Old 04-08-05, 06:15 PM   #20
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Lynneski--some time back I did a web search to find out what types of damage are caused by ingesting/absorbing fuel. I don't recall the specifics (it was quite some time back) but I do remember that risks of organ and mouth tissue damage are legit, and worth considering by anyone who wants to eat or blow fire for any length of time.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote