performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > RESOURCES/EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL

Old 02-26-05, 12:02 PM   #1
dave walbridge

Default Comedy Writing intensive workshop

I'm in the formative stages of a comedy writing intensive workshop to run concurrently with this Summer's IJA convention in Davenport, Iowa.

The festival is a huge gathering of professional performers, so it’s a great chance to work on our acts, with the input of other entertainers.

Nearly every variety entertainer uses comedy in their show – it just works. And writing new material is the quickest way to improve an existing show. This workshop is a chance to learn techinques for writing comedy, performing comedy and getting a better show -- yours.

The workshop is focused on writing material for performers, with an emphasis on results. Using a model of a 3-4 days of classes 2 hours per, with each day building on the one before. (And a chance to try new material at that night’s renegade show!). Lots of ideas/exercises/ discussion on creating new jokes, character work, developing material and being unique, not hack.

If you're planning to be at the festival, and want to be on the mailing list, email me.

There has been great deal of interest in this class every time I’ve taught it –at Mondo jugglefest, IJA Madison & Buffalo, at MotionFest as a student offering in 2003, and at local events here in Minneapolis.{ I can post my comedy/ writing/ performing resume later}

Meanwhile, what are your thoughts about a workshop like this?
What topics would you like to see covered?
Have you taken one of my workshops before?
What worked for you?
What should I expand on?

Your ideas & thoughts are welcomed,

Dave Walbridge
The Big Fun Show!
dave walbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 09:51 PM   #2
dave walbridge

Default More info..

Several people have chimed in with interesting questions and ideas. Stay tuned for further developments...

Dave
Old 03-12-05, 01:38 PM   #3
dave walbridge

Default My history, back grounds and professional credits

Writing resume

I’ve spent the last 22 years touring my magic/ juggling comedy show – The Big Fun Show!

www.bigfunshow.com

Career highlights including emceing the juniors competition at the IJA Fargo festival, a bit part in a national Wendy’s commercial, 6 years at the Minnesota Renaissance festival including winning the “ best new act” award for a comedy magic show I wrote. Also, one season as the master of ceremonies/ head writer for “the feast of fantasy”; a seven act , seven course dinner theater show there.

Writing for Juggle magazine, KSJN morning show , Right Between the Ears radio show in Kansas, and for A Prairie Home Companion.

Teaching at: IJA festivals, ( including as workshop director at the IJA festival Buffalo), Mondo Jugglefest, The Loft, Minneapolis and a week long course at a summer camp in 2004.

So tons of performing experience, ( 1,000+ shows), 20 years as a paid professional including live, radio, tv, and as a writer, producer, and MC. Published articles, sold scripts and I’ve taught “ Comedy Writing” 7 times, for a variety of groups including high schoolers, professional entertainers, families, and general writers.

So that’s my background. What would YOU like to see in a class for performers?

Last edited by dave walbridge; 04-19-05 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-19-05, 02:54 PM   #4
dave walbridge

Default Pro comedy writing newsletter

Just sent out the latest newsletter about the four day intensive comedy writing class. let me know if you want a copy or to get on the mailing list.

David
Old 05-24-05, 09:55 AM   #5
dave walbridge

Default Pro Comedy Writing class registration info

Its official -- We're on for 4 days of Pro Comedy Writing instruction in Davenport. This class will be held Tuesday -Friday during the IJA convention in Davenport. We will cover writing jokes, creating routines and whole shows, character development comedy theory, and using comedy to promote you, all with a slant on writing specific to professional entertainers --people like you.

Registration form at the end of this letter.

Discounted Early registration

By June 1st $80
By July 1st $95
Up to July 18th ( convention) $110

What makes this class different:

Taught by a real-life, does-shows-and-sells-comedy scripts Pro.

Real life examples from variety acts, TV, stand-up, and radio

Useful tools, resources, contacts in the performing community

Focused on the unique needs of variety performers; jugglers, magicians, etc.

You'll learn the techniques used by the pros to create material fast & funny

...and because this class is held during the IJA festival its convenient and

you can test your new material on stage nightly with the "Renegade" open stage. Plus

More ideas than you have ever had in any class ever.

And its fun to learn about comedy...we'll laugh and learn.

95% of all successful variety acts use comedy in their acts -- And more funny equals more money.

You can practice for another year on more tricks or you can improve your likeability, laughs, fame and cash flow by learning how to write funny, think funny and be funny...Guaranteed.*

Register before next Tuesday to get the best price and hold a space for you,

David Walbridge
Pro Comedy Writing Workshops
651 848-0048

PS I'm just finishing a six hour class here in Minnesota for professional entertainers -- It's been very useful and focused on how professionals can create lots more comedy for their own shows. I'll send quotes later in the week.

Resume & original Media release below

Writing resume

I’ve spent the last 22 years touring my magic/ juggling comedy show – The Big Fun Show!

www.bigfunshow.com

Career highlights including emceeing the juniors competition at the IJA Fargo festival, a bit part in a national Wendy’s commercial, 6 years at the Minnesota Renaissance festival including winning the “ best new act” award for a comedy magic show I wrote. Also, one season as the master of ceremonies/ head writer for “the feast of fantasy”; a seven act , seven course dinner theater show there.

Writing for Juggle magazine, KSJN morning show, Right Between the Ears radio show in Kansas, and for A Prairie Home Companion.

Teaching at: IJA festivals, (including as workshop director at the IJA festival Buffalo), Mondo Jugglefest, The Loft, Minneapolis and a week long course at a family summer camp in 2004.

So tons of performing experience, (1,000+ shows), 20 years as a paid professional including live, radio, TV, and as a writer, producer, and MC. Published articles, sold scripts and I’ve taught “ Comedy Writing” 8 times, for a variety of groups including high schoolers, professional entertainers, families, and general writers. ( NEW: Recent article in JUGGLE magazine: Lessons Learned from 22 years of Juggling.)

First release below

Gang,

Good news about the Pro Comedy Writing Workshop at the IJA festival this July -- We've got space. The IJA has agreed to let me rent some space from them -- so the workshops will be right handy in the civic center. Times look like 10-12 tue, wed, thu and Friday. ( July 19-22nd)

Yes -- its intensive. The focus of the 4 day class is to write material you can and will use in your show. We'll cover writing jokes, creating routines, dialog, how to be an interesting character, using comedy in your promo and getting paid to write.

The whole thing is about to go public with the official announcement with ads in juggle, postings elsewhere, flyers, etc. Space will be limited so we can gets lots of stuff written and polished, so you should get your reg in soon. { The price for the course is yet to be determined, but will be in the range of your rate doing just one show.}

Nearly every variety entertainer uses comedy in their show – it just works. And writing new material is the quickest way to improve an existing show. This workshop is a chance to learn techniques for writing comedy, performing comedy and getting a better show -- yours.

Registration form below; email it to david( the at symbol)bigfunshow.com

Then

Send your check* to:

David Walbridge
504 Winslow Ave
St. Paul MN 55107
USA

A check will hold your space in the Pro Comedy Writing Workshop. Class meets July 19-22 during the IJA Summer festival in Davenport.

Discounted Early registration*

By June 1st $80 --
By July 1st $95
Up to July 18th ( convention) $110

Name______________________________________
Name of Business or show _____________________
Address ___________________________________
City, State, ZIP _____________________________
Phone ____________________________________
(cell) ___________________________________
email______________________________________

You will be sent pre-class materials as soon as you send in your check.

(* This class is %100 guaranteed. You have to be happy. You will learn humor, write new material and it will be of value for your career or you get your money back. Period.)

See you in Davenport.

Dave
Old 06-02-05, 10:31 AM   #6
dave walbridge

Default Media release -Pro Comedy Writing

Media release
For immediate release

email: david at symbol bigfunshow.com
phone(US central time) 651 848-0048

Photos available

Jugglers learn to toss comedy into their shows.

The Pro Comedy Writing Workshop will be offered during International Juggler’s Association festival in Davenport, Iowa.
(July 18-24th)

“Its laughter we’re after” says professional juggler Dave Walbridge, “ And that’s why we’re offering a workshop on Comedy writing. Nearly every top act uses humor in their show –jokes, character work, clowning or just wild ideas for what to juggle. Comedy is one technique we all use.”

The Pro Comedy Writing Workshop will be held July 19- 22nd in Davenport IA during the International Juggling Association festival there. The gathering of professional and amateur jugglers includes shows, games, contests, special guests and a week full of quality juggling.

Beginning and advanced performers will benefit from the techniques of crafting humor and comedy for performance. The use of advanced creativity and brain storming techniques, joke forms and crafting longer performance pieces will be covered.

This eight hour workshop is held over four days to allow students to try many of the ideas presented, write some of their own jokes and routines.” It’s like Summer camp for comedians. Lots of practical ideas to get creative, funny and writing for professional entertainers.” says Walbridge. “Every student will write new, funny material for their show, guaranteed.”

Dave Walbridge, the lead teacher of the workshop, is a professional entertainer with 22 years of experience making people laugh. He learned about comedy while touring with the Big Fun Show!, (a one-man circus) filming a Wendy’s restaurant national commercial, raising three teenagers, wearing out three rubber chickens and writing script ideas for the NPR radio show: A Prairie Home Companion.

More funny equals more money in the world of the variety arts. Want to improve your act? Practice. Want to get more laughs and more money? Learn how to write great comedy. Sign up for the Pro comedy writing workshop. Results guaranteed.

Contact info 651 848-0048 or david at symbol bigfunshow.com

Old 06-16-05, 09:23 AM   #7
dave walbridge

Default Interesting comedy workshop development...

Interesting....I thought this class would fillup with new-ish performers in their first 1-3 years of performing. Nope. Most of the registrants so far are full time pro's with 10-15 years in the business. Interesting.

Dave

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com
Old 06-21-05, 11:28 AM   #8
dave walbridge

6/19/05

Gang of comedy writers,

We are now just one month from the start of the Pro Comedy Writing Workshop during the IJA festival in Davenport. It will be a four day intensive workshop --two hours each day --focused exclusively on the needs of comedy performers. Registration information at the end of the newsletter.

NEWS:

1. An interesting development; I thought this class would be of most interest to those just starting their performing careers, people in the first 1-3 years as a professional -- Well, I was wrong. Most of the registrants are full-time pros with 10-15 years in the business! {Maybe looking for a comedy tune up?}

2. Website -- Procomedywriting.com is purchased, but don't rush off to look at it, as there is no content there yet. If you have mad HTML skills and might want to do a trade out of your webpage skills for tuition, let me know.

3. Scholarship: If you know of someone who would benefit from the course, but can’t afford it, please contact me.

4. Deadline approaches: Save money, register by July 1st and get the cheapest rate. { see below.}

David Walbridge
The Big Fun Show!
www.bigfunshow.com

PS A couple of people have said to me -- "Dave, I'm interested in taking this class, but don't know how busy I'll be during the convention. "

Here's my answer: "You'll be really busy: shopping for shiny new props, catching up with old friends, taking and teaching workshops, performing, juggling(!) and everything else. But...take the class anyway."

How many hours have you spent practicing your juggling? 300? 500? 1,000? Now, how many hours have you spent working on the comedy in your show? 10? 25? 50?

What would it be worth to you to have the tools to write new material, scripts, characters or even a whole new show?

I've made $100,000 with my main show. But I don't just offer one show. I also have a library/ reading show, a strolling show, an old-west/ historical show, a renaissance/ mentalism show, characters and other offerings. Wouldn't it be nice to offer your clients more shows?

This class is $95 and gives you the tools to start writing comedy. If its not for you or you don't like it then t costs nothing. (See guarantee)

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com
Old 06-27-05, 08:13 AM   #9
dave walbridge

Default More funny = More Money

Just sold a third comedy script to the Prairie Home Companion radio show. (!)

- Dave

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com
Old 06-29-05, 05:57 PM   #10
dave walbridge

Default Pro comedy workshop discount deadline FRIDAY

Register by Friday for the cheap rate. $95 for 8 hours -- still cheaper than the special guest workshops and much funnier.

Listen. You know by now that you're gonna go. And you know that you would benefit from an intensive comedy workshop for pro's like you. Why not just sign up, send the check and get it done?

Dave

PS Plus that 100% guarantee -- If you don't like the class and learn lots of new, useful stuff and start writing material you can use in your show, then let me know and you get all your reg money back. You have to be satisified!

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com
Old 08-29-05, 12:01 PM   #11
dave walbridge

Default More comedy classes

Gang,

The class at the Summer IJA festival was gang-busters! Lots of ideas and tons of material on how to write your own comedy.

The advanced class will be offered for four weeks in September. This is open to students working on a complete piece -- a whole routine or show. Contact me for more information.

David

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com
Old 01-11-06, 12:56 PM   #12
dave walbridge

Default Feb comedy intro class In MN

I'm teaching the 2.5 hour comedy writing intro class in Minneapolis in feb/06

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com
Old 04-11-06, 05:45 PM   #13
dave walbridge

Default Comedy for performers April/ May in MN

Howdy folks,

Teaching another Comedy Writing class In St. Paul MN. This one's just for prefessional entertainers --with a focus on writing material for the stage.

Starts thu 4/20

Dave

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com
Old 02-27-07, 03:48 PM   #14
dave walbridge

Default Spring 07 comedy class MN

Time to teach another class in comedy writing for performers. This will be a 4- 6 week class, just for entertainers, to create scripts of origional comedy material.

I've taught this before and its a great way to create new material. Email me if you're interested.

Dave

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com
Old 03-18-07, 06:42 PM   #15
dave walbridge

Default Comedy writing for entertainers

Starting a four week class on comedy writing for perfomers next Tue. If you're in Minnesota and want to brush up on your comedy, let me know.

Dave

www.bigfunshow.com
www.procomedywriting.com