performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 06-26-03, 09:42 AM   #1
Pedro Tochas

Post Edinburgh Festival

I want to do street shows in this festival.
Where can I get more information about it?

Is anyone going to do shows there?

Thanks,
Pedro
Pedro Tochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-03, 12:28 PM   #2
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Hey Pedro,
I've done Edinburgh several times and it was always good ... there is no info. on working "the mound" as far as I know. Watch out for bag pipers [img]mad.gif[/img]

ride on Pony Boy,
Moth
Old 06-30-03, 10:20 AM   #3
Rex Boyd
Kansas Man in Exile

The Mound action has moved to the Royal Mile. It's better for shows because it strings it out over more area. The Fringe office now manages the daily draw for time slots to do shows on 3 stages. There is still a bit happening on the mound but bigger crowds now expect shows up on the Mile. I haven't done it myself for several years now but all reports are that shows and hats are generally very good although you shouldn't expect to get more than one or maybe two shows a day. For the first time there were a few acts paid to be there last year. I don't know how well they were received by the busking majority. Anyone else know?

Rex

www.rexboyd.co.uk
Rex Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-03, 07:11 PM   #4
stickman

Apple

Worked it the last 3 years. Festival is a lottery pitch for circle shows, so no guarantees of a show at all. It depends on the number of performers at the draw at 10am and luck of the draw of course. (Been getting crowded) Accomedation is a pain so book ahead. Insurance, is required if you use fire, knifes, etc.. No showup fees, accomedation offered, etc.. If you don't do well, tough luck. Having said that, it's been one of my favorite festivals. I love the people, and wish I were going this year.

Stickman
http://www.weeble.org
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-03, 08:35 PM   #5
martin ewen

It can all get to be a bit rabid and crowded and competitive and the crowds are all from out of town and smug and jaded and cheap (but thats OK, in fact thats just fine *frown on*)
Although I may suggest a sneeky little sidestep if you in fact find that you are not making enough to live or cannot be bothered waiting hours for your chance to have a spontanious lifestyle.
The train to Glasgow takes an hour and costs 6 pounds or so, Buchanan st is just outside the station at the glasgow end and its a wide old pedestrian street.
Theres also suckihole st (sic) down one end which is cheaper and more real than anything you'll see downtown in Edinburgh and argile st down the other end which has a mall and where you will have large coins thrown hard at your head by bored youth.
My pic is Buchanan. I stayed in Edinburgh and worked glasgow every day and made as much or more in a far more laid back atmosphere (except for the heroin addicts and the guys who threaten to scar your face with their knives and Glasgow hardman wannibies, but at least their not tourists)
And then at the end of the day i would either drink heavily with newfound philosophic thugs or go back to edinburgh and dance into overhead fans at clubs and have my head explode with blood while all around me people fainted.
Scottish people are mostly pale and thin and drink heavily and have their own personal caches of one liners. They are very casually disfunctional and you cannot domesticate them so don't even try.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-03, 03:46 AM   #6
Peter Voice

Martin, you beat me to it.

Pedro, if the weather is fine, don't compete in Edinburgh, catch the train to Glascow then write here and tell us about your adventures.
It really is "one of those places".
Old 07-05-03, 10:43 AM   #7
chickenman
Gold Member

Send a message via Skype™ to chickenman
Question

How's the airport in Edinburgh with customs? I hear London is the toughest to get through. Hoping Edinburgh will be more lax. Would it be safer to ship our props over there early to a friend?(would cost a ton)

Anyone know of an insurance company in the U.K. that will cover six foot high slackrope? I hear Dixon Chambers does not.(could be a lie to keep yet another slackrope act from coming to scotland.

--Chickenman(Daredevil Chicken Club)

p.s. Martin, that 'fan' story is the best stilt story I've EVER heard. (second best is the orange juice stilt story in japan)
Old 07-05-03, 06:21 PM   #8
stickman

Apple

oh how I miss the 100 junkies in the front row of my shows in Glasgow. Let me count the ways. Ok done. Got to 2! Made me love my working elsewhere, and let me use all that material I'd never use anywhere else. Every performer should do it at least once, if you want a really hard core experience try working it at night!! I did once, and will never forget it. Local performers are great to drink with afterwards, so worth a stop if only for that.

Stickman
Old 07-05-03, 08:04 PM   #9
martin ewen

Um...about that fan story. Its probably 500 words plus and its on p.net somewhere and it comes from a time where I'd just write stuff up and post it. I have no copy of it.
anyone remember what topic its under? I'd love to find a way of going back and looking at more than 50 posts, just to grab it all so I could get some good one liners for other uses.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-03, 12:47 AM   #10
chickenman
Gold Member

Send a message via Skype™ to chickenman
Martin,
I didnt read the fan story from a post, you told it to me at charlies after a 'freebie' night in arlington for Dan Foley. Did he pay you anything for that "gig"?

I'm sure you could recite that story just as well again...
after a few beers.

when are coming back to boston? I'd love to hear more...

-chickenman
Old 07-06-03, 05:45 AM   #11
Pedro Tochas

So...

Where is the draw??

And I just show up and say: I am a street performer.
????

Or I need something more???

[ 07-06-2003: Message edited by: Pedro Tochas ]</p>
Pedro Tochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-03, 11:14 PM   #12
Dan The One Man Band
Original Member

Question

Make sure you say you are a "street performer" and not a "busker". It's the only place in the world I've been that makes a distinction. Street Performers do circle shows and get a place to leave there gear whereas buskers have to haul their crap everywhere and can do 20 minute "pass by" shows on small pitches.

You show up and register with the Fringe office and then you can enter the draw.www.dantheonemanband.com
Old 07-07-03, 02:04 AM   #13
Pyromancer

Does anyone knows it's still allowed to use fire? Or can anyone at least confirm that it was allowed last year?
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-03, 08:11 AM   #14
stickman

Apple

Pyromancer fire was allowed last year, provided you have liablity insurance. I paid for mine each year at about 50 to 100 sterling for the time I was at the festival. If anyone can sugguest a cheaper rate for liability for Europe please let me know.

Stickman
Old 07-09-03, 09:56 PM   #15
Dan The One Man Band
Original Member

Last year there was an 8:30pm curfew on the royal mile. Police were pretty strict on enforcing it. Makes for a whole different Fringe experience from the "free for all" of years past.

Fire music and comedy work better by night.

D TOMB

D's Tomb
Old 04-15-05, 03:59 PM   #16
newyorkstreetdean

Does anybody know if its still just arrive and try to survive or do you need to contact the festival and register like the theatre people do?

From photos this looks like a great fest but the reviews I've found here are back and forth. Is the festival worth traveling for or is it better to save the cash and stay home to work?

Thanks for any input!
newyorkstreetdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-05, 07:36 PM   #17
MarcusM

2 years ago when i performed there there was paper work and an office I had go to. I will try looking up the contacts. But there are times in which u have to perform at certain spots.
MarcusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 04:36 AM   #18
gav

Default here ya go

You could just rock up, but it's best to register in advance.
http://www.edfringe.com/story.html?id=653&area_id=36
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 02:12 PM   #19
UCO

Question

20 min shows, I can imagine that crowd build is shorter than most but I'm just getting warmed up in that time,
Is it a situation where the other buskers watch the pitch or is there a rep from the festival present?
Old 04-29-05, 02:11 PM   #20
Guy

Edinburgh used to be great. But is now overcrowded with street acts during the festival. Which can mean only one show a day, unless you are working the mound for which you have to get up even earlier than the draw for the festival controlled spots.
If you are going to work Edinburgh make sure you are there for "Fringe Sunday" when you will be able to perform lots of very big shows, if you have an amp (The bigger the better)! Also bear in mind that it rains an awful lot in Scotland, so you probably won't be working everyday.
I lived and worked in Glasgow for one season and it was enough to make me emigrate to the states. The crowds don't clap they just tap the tops of their arms.
The period of the Edinburgh festival is probably the best time of the year to work Covent Garden as all the performers leave for Edinburgh.