performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 04-20-05, 06:33 PM   #1
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young
Default new logo

this is what I've been working on for the past few days. It's far from done. I'm not happy with the font for "EVAN". I think I want a less detailed globe. One of the torches is prolly gonna be a knife at some point, and a version with clubs. and I'm gonna use a different process to create better looking torches.
Uh, I don't know. what do you guys like or not like? is it a good design?

btw. if you're gonna reply, it's ok to post it here, you don't need to send a private message.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com

Last edited by Evan Young; 04-20-05 at 06:55 PM.
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-05, 07:44 PM   #2
Frisbee

Default logo

Get rid of the drop shadow on globalevan.com
I would use fire on the torches somehow coming up the sides of the globe.

or have the globe made out of fire that the torch fire forms sort of a representation of the globe.

-frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 04-21-05, 10:13 PM   #3
Jimbo

too much colour, eventually you will want to move your logo onto merch. and embroidery is the way to go in that department. it's a pain in the ass to embroider a full colour globe.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 08:05 AM   #4
dave walbridge

Default logo

I agree -- too complex. Maybe just use an outline of the continent?

DW

PS Can anyone recommend a good place to get embroidery done on product?
dave walbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 09:23 PM   #5
Mr.Taxi Trix

It's ok, but scrap it and design a new one. I've seen your act, and you are friendlier than this. Something about it... it's too "let's take over the world"ish. keep it in the hard drive, but start again.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-05, 09:34 PM   #6
Mr.Taxi Trix

Or, how about a reclining figure on it. Something to give it that sort of laid back charm you can't help but emit. The logo as is is more serious than you want, I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg globalevanlogo22.jpg (57.7 KB, 181 views)
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 02:15 AM   #7
worldwidese

Default My Two Cents

Torches without fire defeat the purpose. It looks more like R.I.P.
The flames could then curl up the outside of the globe. The globe could be more just a framework-a grid.

Maybe reduce the size of EVAN and superimpose a small image of your cute face on the globe, so it's more human and not so "corporate" looking?

Last edited by worldwidese; 04-23-05 at 02:17 AM.
worldwidese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 09:30 AM   #8
Dan Holzman

Question what does it mean?

I'm a little confused by what the globe is doing there in the first place. I don't know much about your act, but to me this logo doesn't seem like the best fit. You're an english speaking comedy juggler right? What about your act makes you global?
Dan
Old 04-23-05, 09:56 AM   #9
martin ewen

Lurk roads girdle the globe. xtc

Globes are so overused as to be almost meaningless. The fact that you do indeed live and work on this particular planet is a given.
If you were to substitute another planet (I like Saturn but thats just me) then that would be interesting...meaningless but interesting. Which is a 50% improvement on meaningless and uninteresting.
I would also consider substituting an egg for the globe. You are after all quite young. Also you have an egg story which you could elaborate until it attains the status of legend.
The egg could be transparent and you could be curled up in it holding juggling equipment and smiling your scampish best.
"Evan, unpoached, unscrambled unfried."
" I'm Evan, fertilize me with your fee."
I think I'll stop there.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 10:28 AM   #10
dave walbridge

Default new logo

oddly, I agree with Martin on this...
dave walbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 11:21 AM   #11
le pire

What is it you are trying to say with this logo?

that you are "Global Evan," and what does that mean?

That you've got the world with your name on it, sitting on torches like Joan of Arc on the pyre, and with a sudden spark, POOF! up in flames!

From a design stand point, combining (obviously) computer drawn images with a photo is a style clash and looks very amature (drop shadowing everything looks amature also)

I suggest using computer drawn everything. Maritn is right about globes being over used-- unless you do it creatively and interestingly.

é
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-05, 12:50 PM   #12
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

I think it's great, as is.

why not buy evanyoung.com, you vegan.
Old 04-23-05, 02:49 PM   #13
MarcusM

I'm not sure if i get it. here's an idea, keep the torches as is or add in a knife like you said you were goin to do. Then I am thinking of a skull and bones design, and instead of the globe maybe your face, or a skull with the outline of your hair. You know, like a pirate- skull and bones.
Old 04-23-05, 03:56 PM   #14
Evan Young

OK, thanks to everybody who has responded. I've really enjoyed some of the ideas.

GlobalEvan is fairly meaningless. It started as my aim handle when I was going to school in England and now it's my domain name because evan.com and evanyoung.com are both taken and they wont sell out to me. My intended purpose of the logo is to promote traffic to my web site, so there it is. Some day I hope to live up to the name and be a world traveling performer like many of you guys are. I currently book my show as "Evan Young" but I say GlobalEvan productions when I answer the phone. I'm still struggling with my identity as a performer, but I really do like my company name being GlobalEvan productions.

torches on fire: yep, I was getting to that, I'm just not very good with photoshop yet, and I didn't want to wait to start getting feedback, but thanks.

Detail in the globe/colors/computer drawn with real pic: Yep, I'm working on it. I want to try out taking real pics of a torch/knife/club and making what I think is called vector images.(?) And I'm gonna try out a two colour drawing of the globe instead of the blue marble.

Taxi. I love your idea and I can't wait to create a mudflap girl style image of myself juggling on my back. You are totally right on with the laid back thing, I'm glad you've seen my act, cuz it helps.

check this out. Jonathan Burns whiped this up as a concept while we were chatting on AIM. I think it would be a great graphic for the front page of a web site or a brochure. Of course I'm gonna be working of updated pics for stuff like this and stuff, but I think it's a cool idea. We could also make the globe spinning on the tip of a knife or somthing. At the moment though I'm just trying to find somting to make a buisness card and some stickers with, and this might not be the best.
I didn't ask him if I could post this, I hope he doesn't mind. (it's just a concept, not a product)

Martin, I do like the egg idea quite a bit, but it has even less to do with my show than the globe. Maybe I could use the concept somewhere else though.

Marcus. Believe it or not, the skull and cross bones concept was the base concept of the current design. I don't think it really came through though. the skull with hair concept is a really cool idea, and I'm gonna keep it in mind. Thanks!

Ok, so this is truly great. I'm really into all the feedback I got. I'll work on it and post up a new couple new versions in a few weeks. Oh, and thanks to Cybelle for getting me to start in on this to begin with and helping me out.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Old 04-23-05, 04:39 PM   #15
le pire

That's GREAT Evan. Make that into a postcard & stickers!

é
Old 04-23-05, 05:10 PM   #16
MarcusM

Thumbs Up

i agree, i want a sticker. nice job
Old 04-23-05, 08:39 PM   #17
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

a logo looks more like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg global_evan_scot_1.jpg (11.0 KB, 228 views)
Old 04-24-05, 01:06 AM   #18
MarcusM

Thats true, i think logo may of been the wrong word, but either way Evan still created a cool design that will help sell his product if that's his goal.
Old 04-24-05, 01:39 AM   #19
le pire

I like the second one (with Evan's picture) because it is odd and suggestive of who knows what. I love the "x's" in various places, because we don't know what his destination is. I also love the puzzled look on his face. It makes a great postcard / sticker, but it is definately not a "logo." Scot's design is DEFINATELY more of a logo, but it says to me "overnight delivery, GUARANTEED!."

étienne
Old 04-24-05, 04:44 PM   #20
Evan Young

Default Do you guys read what i write?

I just want it to be clear that Jonathan Burns created that second design. And I too thought it was more of a layout than a logo.

anyway, thanks again for your imput. Scot, I hadn't thought about using a globe with NO details. I think I like it. And I like the font too.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com