performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 04-25-05, 01:55 PM   #1
USA BREAK DANCERS

USA Festival in Norway

We just got booked for a festival in Norway and would like to hear from anyone who's ever done or knows anything about the porsgrunn international theater festival in Norway or just worked the streets of Norway any info will be great.
USA BREAK DANCERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-05, 03:08 PM   #2
martin ewen

Lurk It used to be a secret....

Oslow was a hidden pitch about 10 years ago, well semi hidden. The hats were good and people used to meet up there for a month or two over the summer. The last stop on the commuter train out of town stopped at a forest by a lake with lots of blueberries or blackberries and no-one else was there and performers made a little campsite there to party and slept in tents or their vans.
Never made it myself but had it on good authority that it was one of those top secret gem pitches.
Don't know about the festival, bikeboy's done one there i think and Jewels as well.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-05, 05:21 AM   #3
gav

Default i got invited once

They invited me to that festival once. I didn't go. The guy wasn't offering travel expences or a daily retainer. Norway is an expensive place, which means people who live there have money.
A friend of mine did go however.(i'm still not sure why) The promised accomadation turned out to be some disused student dormitory without even locks on the doors ! When he requested better accom. they said it wasn't possible, then he asked for at least a lock on his door. he waited and waited, and then went to the hardware store and bought a padlock latch and installed it himself. He got scheduled in the week days a lot and said that they arranged groups of school children to come down and watch shows, school children who didn't carry money. On the weekend when it was busy, he didn't get good spots, where as acts that were there only for the weekend did. He felt shafted.
Make sure they are covering at least your travel, hotel accom, and food.(these are the basics that you'll get at even the smallest european busking fest.) If they offer you a decent fee, then I guess things have improved there some what.
I'd also like to know if they offer more these days.
Good Luck
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-05, 11:57 AM   #4
Barry

me too. have heard some very funny horror stories about the festival. it is probably worth going to make a few of your own. everything is really expensive which means hats in this country should be good. i know a limited few who head to oslo and it is a decent pitch with hats relative to the local price of beer (which is STEEP). barry`s rec : porsgrunn for a giggle, the big city for the bucks.
Old 04-26-05, 12:03 PM   #5
UCO

Oh yes the street of Fools.
" I left beautiful sunny thailand to come to norway I am the biggest fool"
Tom Picard
I will always remember this moment in street.

I did this as my first festival and my first real crack at the street. I really got nothing but accomidations in a retirement home overlooking the graveyard. I think if you plan and go the last or first weekend it would be better.
The girls look older so tell the boys to be careful. (just joshin)
It's in June so the timing is ok, a hint if they still have a yaht race in Keil germany, nothing but thousands of rich drinking germans. It was right after the festival. Are you guys in europe all summer?
Old 04-26-05, 12:20 PM   #6
gav

Default the plot thickens

Why do acts actually end up going to these types of fests ?
I hope that things have changed, but I doubt it. Surely the USA break dancers couldn't afford to go if travel wasn't being paid for.
UCO, I live in europe, so I'll be here all summer. Did you get into Linz? They should have sent the confirmation by now. I'll be doing my new James Blond show there this year. Easy place to work in a new show !
Old 04-26-05, 12:48 PM   #7
UCO

Thumbs Up

Festivals are sometimes hit and miss I guess.
I did not get into linz, I don't think they could open my stuff, because I think I made a fatal error in sending everything NTSC. So all my new PALs in european festivals will be seeing me alittle later.
My life as a digital performer still has training wheels.
This year I get no cushy festival tour, It is streets,
James Bond show eh? Sounds cool, I do plan on being Germany so maybe that weekend I will mosie down to Linz and be a spectator.
Does Linz have a regular pitch? That way I would not need to mosie I could stroll.
Old 04-27-05, 12:00 AM   #8
le pire

Exclamation

Hey Mason,

I'm coming up to Montreal next week, and if you can give me a copy of your promo vid on MiniDV (I'll bring two camcorders, one of which is ok, the other is a Canon XL-1S (friggin' AWESOME)) I'll author it on to a region free DVD for you.

Are you PC or Mac, because I'll also bring the software that you can use to burn duplicates on your own computer-- assuming you have a DVD-RW drive.

etienne

p.s. If I have the time I'll also put the vid into Quicktime & Windows Media (and maybe Real Player, once I sort out some issues) so you can have the vid on your website.

p.p.s. I can definately give you some help with your website, 'cause your act is so goddamn good that you really need to get that site up to help promote the hell out of it.

p.p.p.s. I hope you can come here to Boston sometime, because my girl would LOVE to meet you.

Last edited by le pire; 04-27-05 at 12:04 AM.
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-05, 04:29 AM   #9
gav

Default fatal mistake.

That's a shame about Linz UCO. If you are close you should pop in because there is always the chance to do shows in the empty spots, and sometimes people don't turn up. Thats how I started performing there. They didn't invite me, so I turned up and got t take the place of someone who didn't turn up. They even payed for my travel and gave me the meager daily stipend. Now they invite me every year !!
Crowds and hats are LARGE so it's definately worth it.
I'd like to get a copy of your promo if you are considering coming to europe next year. My wife and I program the street performers for festival Cest is d Best here in Zagreb. I'll send you a PM with my address.
Anyone got anything positive to say about the Norway gig?
Breakers, did they offer you travel money?
Old 04-27-05, 07:02 AM   #10
worldwidese

Default How does this compare?

Quote:
Make sure they are covering at least your travel, hotel accom, and food.(these are the basics that you'll get at even the smallest european busking fest.)
What about Canada, the US OZ, Kiwiland? Fares paid from where?
Old 04-27-05, 09:02 AM   #11
UCO

The cool things about Norway is the ride there really alot of seanery, Hot girls, and it would be ideal for the insomiac busker cause you can play at sunset till like 2:00am. Klown if they have no cash to get you there at least from somewhere in europe, I would forget it, These people have a budget of somekind, Because it is just ok if you are alone but 3, getting dodgy:
Is mini there this year?

etienne, I was wondering when you were you were going to get here, Yeah everything is cool with moi coluck and you can stay here for sure. I have all my source material so can give me a work shop on this 2000 dollar deck of cards that I bought,
I am a mac man without a dv writer, I should have a writer by the time you get here. I will be going to Boston sometime in may, Call me when you get in: 842 8240 (514)
Gav: Thats what I planned on doing I mean why not indeed. I should be in the area and if maybe I will get a slot, I like austrians.
Should I send you my promo now? It will work when ettienne gets here. I would love to go to Croatia and eastern europe, It is true that the gypsys will teach you to pick pockets if you marry a daughter?
Maybe just a rumor.
Old 04-27-05, 09:13 AM   #12
gav

Default Re: How does this compare?

Quote:
Originally posted by worldwidese
What about Canada, the US OZ, Kiwiland? Fares paid from where?
Most festivals will pay the travel within europe. Some pay from overseas.
UCO, you may as well bring some promo with you and mail it , or hand it to me.Which ever comes first. No hurry.
Don't know about the Gypsys. There are a lot around, but there's strangly little pickpocketing going on. They do play little 3 card cons at the markets, or matchbox and ball. Normally 3 of them betting and winning big. Some poor sucker usually gets fleeced a 100 euro. They'd probably teach you that.
Old 04-27-05, 09:26 AM   #13
UCO

I got my ticket from one festival but I have to pay for it up front,
Is that also common for european festivals? It kinda inconvienent just because I start the season will debt. thats the life I guess;
Bummer I can't do cards or magic very well so I would be that sucker
Old 04-27-05, 11:17 AM   #14
gav

Default normal

It's normal that festivals reimburse your travel expenses at the end of the festival. You're lucky you've got one covering your flight costs even if you do have to pay for it up front.
You don't need to be good at magic or cards, you just need to realise that there's no way they would play the game if there was any chance you could win.
Old 04-27-05, 11:48 AM   #15
USA BREAK DANCERS

USA

Thank you everyone for the info I'll keep all of these things in mind.
As far as flihgts, food, hotel and I mean hotel accomadations they are fully covered by the festival.
Old 04-27-05, 12:05 PM   #16
gav

Default good

looks like they've changed for the better then !
When you get there, ask the other acts if it's the same for them, and let us know.
Old 04-27-05, 12:39 PM   #17
USA BREAK DANCERS

USA

What ever other acts get is on them it's non of my business. I negotiated with the festival for my group I got what I wanted I can't say the same for every body els it's all up to them. We have a strong act we are confident when we sell it so were not scared to ask for what we want and we get it.
Old 04-28-05, 04:29 AM   #18
gav

Default good for you

I think the same can be said for a lot of the acts here, however I don't believe you always get what you want from a gig. You did for this one, great. But it's hard to believe you get every gig you apply for.
This festival in Norway has a bad reputation as to how they treat the artists involved and I think it's in our best interests as a worldwide community of artists to try and find as much information about certain events and share it with others.
Fine if you don't want to talk to your fellow performers and discuss how the festival is going and then maybe share your insites later.
I'm sure someone else is will be willing, because without that kind of thing happening, you never would have recieved an answer to your query on this thread.
Old 04-28-05, 01:13 PM   #19
USA BREAK DANCERS

USA

You would be correct if I had asked my fellow performers how I should negotiate with the festival. That was not the question If you scroll down and read the original question again you would see that I said I was already booked for the festival. And yes your right some acts don't always get what they want including ours but in this case we did. Please stick to the topic budy have you ever worked this festival or on the streets of Norway tell me more about that PAL.
Old 04-28-05, 01:35 PM   #20
gav

Default whats with the attitude PAL

I believe you asked if anyone new anything about that festival, not just if they'd worked there. Go back and read your own words before you come back to have a go at me. For what ?
I don't understand why you're coming on so strong. All I'm saying is by talking to each other about events, is how we get to this point where we share information on this site.
Think about that Buddy.