performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 11-09-03, 11:45 PM   #1
le pire

Post Singapore here we come!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

étienne!
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-03, 01:10 AM   #2
Daniel Craig

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Craig
WHEE DAWGIE!

Look forward to meeting you there, I leave in 6 hours.

[img]biggrin.gif[/img]

All the best!
DC
Daniel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-03, 02:51 AM   #3
Dan Tastik

Send a message via ICQ to Dan Tastik
Game on folks. Game on.

At least once i get my luggage down to 20kgs.... i get the feeling I'm not going to have any clothes, just some props.

see you there!
Old 11-12-03, 09:09 AM   #4
Pyromancer

Have fun, all of you! Stay clean, etc...
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 09:30 PM   #5
Jim
Your Host

Jester

Etienne gets first press...

Singapore Straits Times

If busking is right up your street ...don't miss the Singapore Buskers' Festival, which runs for nine days and will begin with a colourful procession down Orchard Road

By Kelvin Wong

STREET performer Etienne McGinley loves making people laugh. And he plans to do just that now that he is here as part of an international entourage of buskers at the annual Singapore Buskers' Festival.

Now in its seventh year, the event will host buskers from 10 countries with daily performances that are expected to draw at least 600,000 spectators.

'It has won international awards...and reaffirms Singapore's reputation as a key lifestyle and events capital,' said Ms Staphnie Tang, director of organising company Gwyndara International, of the festival.

To launch the nine-day event tomorrow, there will be a procession down Orchard Road by street performers, stiltwalkers, masquerades and other song and dance acts.

Mr McGinley and 24 other international buskers, hailing from countries such as Japan, Hungary, the United States and Australia, will thrill spectators with their various stunts, including juggling acts, stilt and bicycle acrobatics, and sword-swallowing.

They will busk daily at Orchard Road, Marina Square and other venues along the Singapore River, including Clarke Quay, Boat Quay and Robertson Walk.

Mr McGinley, who was born in the US but grew up in France, will be juggling with his diabolo set - an hour-glass-shaped plastic object suspended on a string attached to two sticks.

The 30-year-old was trained in theatre and even did stints in a circus as a clown but switched to busking in 1997.

'This is a way for me to blend theatre and juggling and travel round the world, finding out what makes people laugh,' he said.

The street performances are free.

Donations tossed into performers' hats will not go into their pockets but will be channelled to four beneficiaries.

They are the Tanjong Pagar Family Service Centre, Care Corner Family Service Centre, the Ang Mo Kio Family Service Centre and Shan You Counselling Centre.

Gwyndara International, which brought in the performers with the help of sponsors, hopes that donations from the performances and a gala dinner held last night will raise about $250,000 in all.

Other events lined up include a bash at Zouk next Friday night and a picnic party the next day at MacRitchie Reservoir Park.

ARTy pARTy, organised by the Central Singapore Community Development Council and TheatreWorks, will be held in conjunction with the event on Nov 22-23 at Clarke Quay. It will feature songs, dance, theatre and poetry performances.

For more information about the time and location of the various events, visit www.singapore-buskers.com
Old 11-16-03, 02:33 AM   #6
Daniel Craig

First night of the proverbial grind, the "testing the water" shows have come and gone. So far, so good!

But to recount, much of Friday was spent exploring. We went to Chinatown and walked as merchants hawked their wares at us from thier booths. Conrade, Craig and I went to Futama, a shopping centre devoted to electronics. We showed what I believ to be great restraint by not buying anything at all.

Later on, we went on this nighttime safari at the lovely Singapore Zoo and saw all these amazing creatures. Giraffes, rhinos, golden cats (who were having sex at the time, he was really working it too), leopards, Malaysian tigers, and bats. Lots of bats. We went to this room that some of you probably remember where you can actually walk the path through an enclosed area of bats. Marcel led the way bravely, as Kelly and I hunched over and screamed anytime a harmless fruit bat flew anywhere close to us. I'm not sure who it was but I think it might have been Stitch who got peed on by a bat..? Can't remember. I may be wrong, but it sure was funny as hell.

But the shows have been promising.. I was nervous to start but that was rapidly quaffed by the respectful and receptive crowds here. Hopefully it doesn't stop as the week progresses.

Also, it's nice to be around someone who likes the Pet Shop Boys as much as I do. *cough*etienne*cough* [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm feeling a good sense of camaderie and as a first-time performer at Singapore have been warmly welcomed, despite the fact that Dynamike and I have been bungling up our room keys, continually locking ourselves out, losing unicycles, blowing things up and just generally causing a very peaceful ruckus.

Anyways, just my 2 cents thus far! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Trying not to get caned,
Dan
Old 11-16-03, 03:18 AM   #7
Daniel Craig

Sorry, laptop being uncooperative.. *sigh*

[ 11-16-2003: Message edited by: Daniel Craig ]</p>
Old 11-19-03, 01:49 AM   #8
Daniel Craig

Cool

Here's a little bit of an update thus far- The fest is roughly half over...

Shows have generally been going on and going well. To my knowledge only a handful of shows have been canned, the rain we heard so much about when we were coming here hasn't really shown its head yet. Audiences are respectful and happy to watch, yet they're a little more reserved than North American audiences but that's something I think we're all used to by now.

In terms of memorable experiences, it should be noted that Ryan Whalen has started an epidemic of pole-dancing. Carine kept trying wholeheartedly to show me how to salsa, but I think her efforts were in vain. Jacqui kept getting knocked down, but she got up again. Finally, between Dubbike doing hand plants on the poles and Dan Tastik and I attempting to squeeze our somewhat nimble frames between them, fun was the order of the day.

Many a night has been spent at Chambers thus far, home of the two dollar beer. Anywhere else yields an unsatisfying result of expenses around ten dollars per drink(!).

Etienne and Istvan were summoned the night before to do a TV spot at 7:45 the next morning- Mayhem ensued with Etienne getting no coffee and Istvan perhaps cracking under the pressure of not working in the airport. In all seriousness, all went very well and Etienne did eventually get his coffee.

Today marks the first day I have really slept in late- It's now around 2:30 and we're just stumbling out of bed. This probably is a direct result of Jacqui, Wiebe, Conrade, Paul and I drawing all over Kelly with lipstick and other cosmetics while she slept. She then awoke and without missing a beat, let an expletive fly and realized what had been done. She arose, and Conrade, thinking the fun was over, began to drift off into slumber.

Conrade however, was the next obvious yet unassuming target of our makeup. (and his own vile, vile footwear.) I won't say exactly what happened next, but I will say that the whole scuffle ended on a positive note and again, fun was the order of the evening.

Feeling the love,
Wee Hoo
Old 11-19-03, 09:48 AM   #9
le pire

Cool

Well it is HOT HOT HOT out here in Singapore. In five years of performing, I've never BROKEN a microphone with SWEAT!!! Sizes of crowds varies between pitches and the day / time of the week, however they are a WONDERFUL audience. Lots of laughs and great applause.

I would call Singapore "Summer Camp for Street Performers."

"Why?" you ask.

-It's during our vacation season (northern hemisphere anyway)
-We have fun camp councillors (Kelly, Weibe, Marcel) [img]smile.gif[/img]
-The cool director and the enthusiatic director (Jimmy & Stephanie)
-We go on field trips (zoo, islands, pole-dancing)
-there are plenty of daytime activities (swimming, gym, juggling)
-shared accomodations (fortunately no bunk beds)
-we all meet at breakfast and are getting to know the cafeteria staff by name.
-No parents!

etienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 12:35 PM   #10
Pyromancer

[quote]Originally posted by le pire:
<strong>Well it is HOT HOT HOT out here in Singapore. In five years of performing, I've never BROKEN a microphone with SWEAT!!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

For some strange reason I continued performing in leather pants a year ago. Still don't understand it myself either... [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 11-19-2003: Message edited by: Pyromancer ]</p>
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 08:36 PM   #11
Daniel Craig

Despite it being ridiculously hot, and despite my limited experience, this festival has reaffirmed to me all the joys of being a street performer, for many of the reasons Etienne said- It's like a summer camp! The group we have here is really positive, we're all having fun, and I look forward to doing my showsevery night. We may complain about the pitfalls of street performing a lot but right now, I feel truly blessed to love what I do and the people around me. We are a lucky bunch indeed! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lovin' life,
Dan
Old 11-19-03, 09:49 PM   #12
Daniel Craig

Talking

I'd like to say that performing at this festival has been good, but the greatest thing for me has benn the time I've had to renew my tender affections for Dynamike - what a hunkabodacious man among men. I love him truly with all tha I am.

DynaMike: please never forget me.

forever yours
Daniel Craig
Old 11-19-03, 09:52 PM   #13
Daniel Craig

You forget to log out, and look what happens.

Dynamike, friend, I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to attempt to make a complete goon out of me. [img]biggrin.gif[/img] I'll leave it because it's so funny!

Thanks, my friend! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

A little embarrased,
Daniel

PS) Mike, our room still smells like boysweat. :`(
Old 11-21-03, 03:12 AM   #14
No Hat

Butterfly

I want to kill myself.
No Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-03, 01:34 AM   #15
Seamus

Thumbs down

If you really want to die I recommend eating the scallops at Zouk...
Old 11-22-03, 01:46 AM   #16
Dan Tastik

Send a message via ICQ to Dan Tastik
Go on do it.
See if anyone notices.
Old 11-22-03, 03:09 AM   #17
Scot Free

[quote]Originally posted by Pyromancer:
<strong>Have fun, all of you! Stay clean, etc...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yah, don't be binge drinkin' kerosene eh!
Scot Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-03, 11:25 AM   #18
No Hat

Cool

"and remember kids, if mommy and daddy send you to singapore it means they dont really love you...
only joking,
it means you're adopted and jimmy wong is your real father"
No Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-03, 01:19 PM   #19
DynaMike

Hey! Jimmy Wong is my Father.

Aside from that I didn't count my hat - not that it really matters.

Peace and Love

PS Dan, I was touched by your remarks, but really hurt at how you disavowed yourself from them in favour of saving face.

[ 11-22-2003: Message edited by: DynaMike ]</p>
DynaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-03, 11:26 AM   #20
DynaMike

I hate to say this, but I have to confess my true undying love for Rick in Ash Circle.

I've always watched you from afar Rick. Please snuggle me tonight for it will be the last night I can cuddle you for many cold lonely sleepless nights.

Love always and eternally,
Dynamike
DynaMike is offline   Reply With Quote