performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 05-07-05, 07:07 PM   #1
Rick Martin

Default Video on Web site

I want to add a four minute video to my site, but don't know where to begin. Can anybody outline the very basic options for doing this? I have the video all edited and saved on my hard drive.
Thanks!
Rick Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-05, 07:57 PM   #2
Spike McGuire

Send a message via AIM to Spike McGuire

What did you use to edit it?
Old 05-07-05, 08:04 PM   #3
Rick Martin

Sonic My DVD Studio deluxe suite.
Old 05-07-05, 08:40 PM   #4
Doctor Eric

convert it to flash video, scot will jump in on this one I'm sure.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 10:30 AM   #5
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Question

Just wondering, what's the advantage of a flash movie over another format?

I've always worried that there was potential for frustration with a flash movie, 'cuz the viewer has no playback control.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~

Last edited by Stephon; 05-08-05 at 11:02 AM.
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 10:37 AM   #6
Frisbee

Flash movie makes it so you do not need a special viewer to see the video...if they can see teh flash, they can see your video. No need for plug-in or format
You can still make it available for download in multiple formats.

You can have controls on a flash based player, either custom design or there is a standard console I believe.

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 05-08-05, 11:00 AM   #7
Rick Martin

I often see two options for downloading web site videos. "WMV" or "MPEG". What are the pros and cons to these two formats and how does "Flash" relate to them?
Old 05-08-05, 03:40 PM   #8
Doctor Eric

The difference between mpeg and wmv is that wmv is proprietary technology, and it looks like crap. You make your video, compress it nicely with sorenson or something, convert it to flv, (flash video) put it in a flash movie, set up the controls, and the end user doesn't have to see any of the strings, just the video, they hit play and it does. It eliminates all that "choose your format and download" bs. Point and click.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Old 05-08-05, 04:37 PM   #9
Rick Martin

I have a one minute video clip saved as an .avi file. I Believe that means it can be opened with Windows Media Player.....right??? I want to attach it to an email (it's pretty darn funny) and send it to some friends, but the file is 96.2MB which I think is too big.....right??? I tried using WinZip to compress it, but that only gets it to 66.4MB which I suppose is still too big....right???? The video clips that people send me attached to emails are under 3MB.....I think. How can I get this one minute video file small enough to send? And...is the option to convert a video file to a Flash file found in a video editing program or in the web design program?
Old 05-09-05, 06:26 AM   #10
Doctor Eric

You have a one minute clip that is 96 megs?!? At this point, it's time to call a spade a spade (not like you've been denying it, really) you're too computer illiterate for online help, you need a techie buddy to come over and help you. I was gonna say some other stuff but that last statement is the important one (and it is stated with due compassion, I assure you). Forget about flash for right now. Get help.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Old 05-10-05, 08:32 PM   #11
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

Eric's right. You have to trim it down to at most 2MB to email it.

if you have imovie, it makes emailable videos. Otherwise, make a friend.
Old 05-12-05, 01:06 AM   #12
le pire

The doc is definately right.

.wmv looks like CRAP.

If you are going to go with the formats other than flash, the most commonly used are Windows Media, Quicktime and Real Player.

I suggest having your video in all three formats on your site. (a lot of high end websites do this). It's very much an internet standard, and if you're working with a techie, than it's really straight forward and simple to do.

If you have your vid on miniDV it is not difficult to find someone who is tech savvy and set up to put your video in these formats. Just put an ad on craigslist.org and if you're paying $100, you'll get a flurry of responses-- especially by broke college students who are tech majors.

It should take less than an hour to do.

etienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 02:02 PM   #13
Doctor Eric

Just to clarify the thread for other readers, this is exactly what I was saying you SHOULDN'T do

"I suggest having your video in all three formats on your site. (a lot of high end websites do this). It's very much an internet standard, and if you're working with a techie, than it's really straight forward and simple to do."

"High-End" websites DON'T do this, because it is completely retarded. Two of those three formats are useless, proprietary, and invasive, if you ever see RealMedia, run like hell. Any video player installed on you machine can handle an Mpeg, and 90% of web users have quicktime. The reson I mentioned flash is that it is the only way to seamlessly integrate video onto a website. Something like 98% of all web users have flash, and the plugin works exactly the same in all browsers (I use opera, some quicktime clips run on the page, some want to be downloaded and run in the qt player=not seamless integration). But, you're trying to email something Rick, so don't let any of this info bog you down, just call that techie buddy, I know you have one.

edit:: I forgot to mention the other reason that the method is stupid, windows media player can open a .mov too. Nothing, other than real player, can open a realmedia file. I hate that !@#?ing thing...

!?www.ericcash.com?!

Last edited by Doctor Eric; 05-12-05 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-12-05, 07:27 PM   #14
Jim
Your Host

I also want to chime in and say STAY AWAY from Real Media.

Quicktime is simply the best.

Windows Media is a distant second in regards to quality (But MAYBE a bit more compatible than Quicktime for those completely retarded Windows users who are new to the web and afraid of plugins.)

Real=Evil

Jim
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 11:42 PM   #15
le pire

Let me clarify here:

By high end, I mean that major label bands have their videos on their websites in Quicktime & WMP, and audio tracks in Real & WMP. National, international and regional radio stations do webcasts in WMP & Real Player. Movie Trailers are in Quicktime & WMP. TV webcasts are in Real, WMP, & Quicktime. It defies common sense to say that these formats don't currently dominate the internet.

Simplicity- having your vid put into .mov, .mpeg, .rm is REALLY REALLY simple (even for the computer illiterate) and if you work with a tech person, it will take less than a half an hour to do. Putting this kind of video into an HTML website is equally simple-- it takes minutes.

Consistance- if your website is programmed in HTML and then the video page is in flash, it's a bit of a jarring style change. (Frisbee's old site was HTML & had a flash gallery. Although it was a nice gallery, it was like "one of these things is not like the other." Greg has a fantastic new flash site, by the way.) Call me old fashioned, but I like consistancy. So if you're going to do flash video, then I'd say go for a flash site. You're site could definately use the overhaul-- and I don't say that in a mean critical way. You've got great content, some nice pics & even some nice design ideas. Tie it all together with some strong layout & you'll have a beautiful site. This is a lot of work, and then the question becomes how much work do you want to put into this? Going back to the simplicity point..

Also, yeah Real Player is evil, so is microsoft, and now people are saying Steve Jobs is evil too. Macromedia may be coming soon to an evil neighborhood near you.

etienne
Old 05-13-05, 02:35 PM   #16
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

frenchy, you're wrong about a lot here. Flash will look the best and fit into a website more consistently than anything else. It's more supported than anything else, and you can make some really amazing stuff that's small.

If we're actually trying to deal with the problem here, and not just show off our knowledge, I would like to add that Rick should hire someone to do the video stuff. The editing will look good and that person can worry about compression and crap.

Rick, post on design and video forums and ask to see online demo reels. You could also try posting fliers at local colleges with video departments. You should be able to get your video done for less than $1000 by someone that's halfway decent.
Old 05-13-05, 04:33 PM   #17
Doctor Eric

Flash has to be embedded in HTML, it looks just fine when you put the two together, I'v seen a lot of great examples of it.

"Frisbee's old site was HTML & had a flash gallery. Although it was a nice gallery, it was like "one of these things is not like the other."

Oh, I see, Frisbee screws up one time and the rest of us have to pay for it? How well are you going to combine two different web elements when you are trying to code with Lobster claws?

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Old 05-13-05, 05:02 PM   #18
Frisbee

Default Lobster

Lets stay on subject about web videos...those are fire hands not lobster claws...it's a style choice in the design that I went with.
besides if I HAD lobster claws I would probably be a bit more famous and definately more freaky.

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 05-13-05, 05:03 PM   #19
le pire

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Eric

Oh, I see, Frisbee screws up one time and the rest of us have to pay for it? How well are you going to combine two different web elements when you are trying to code with Lobster claws?
That's REALLY funny!
Old 05-14-05, 12:38 AM   #20
Steven Ragatz

The current versions of Flash offers very good support for delivering video on the web. If you (the collective 'you') are interested in working with web video via Flash, it might be good to point out that there is different support depending on the version you purchase. Flash MX 2004 and Flash MX 2004 Pro differ in several ways. For example, the Pro version will support true streaming and some other fancy bells and whistles as well as cost several hundred dollars more. Both provide support for many of the modern codecs (ways of encoding the information so that video files that are originally 90 MB can be squeezed down to a couple of MB). And Flash does provide a wrapper so that the end user doesn't have to install any viewer, as opposed to having the video presented in a QuickTime or windows media format (both of the latter require that the user have some software installed on their computer to view the footage).

Some other issues to consider are if you wish your user to be able to save your movie on their local disk. I would guess that most of the P.Net performers would probably prefer to protect their footage and prevent users from copying the video to the client, but for example, Cirque du Soleil keeps a database of footage in their casting department and I am told that they save video footage in digital formats associated with their casting database. Not that it is a determining factor just for the French Canadians, but my point is that one has to consider the specific needs of the target end user when determining a media delivery mechanism.

Another issue that hasn't been brought up yet is the ability of Flash to integrate video into a presentation. For example, one could have a video object in the Flash file (.swf) that triggers bullet point text objects to appear at certain frames in the video playback. With careful integration, one can create the appearance of a larger movie than is actually playing and also have text with effects look crisp (anti-aliased) and far more legible than if it were included in the compressed movie. Or one could have jump points - sort of like chapters on a DVD - that the user to interactively select to jump to specific frames of the video footage. There are many possibilities...

But, unless you are really interested in learning the techniques and details of the development tools, I would concur with the others to hire a professional. I suggest using Paul Whitener (paul (at) thelatetrain (dot) com) (http://www.thelatetrain.com) He is a full time professional and does some very nice Flash work and design. I have worked with him on almost a daily basis for the past five years and he comes highly recommended. Also, feel free to contact me directly with any technical questions. If I don't know the answer directly, I will be able to find it quickly.

Steven Ragatz
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote