performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 12-22-00, 10:05 AM   #1
Blake

Post Energy and Show consistency

Having done some marathon stints doing mime interactive i have to pose the question does everyone find it hard to hit the juice some days.
I always look to myself and have been heard to say " never blame the audience" so i want to know from those of you who rock consistently what is your technique.

I find some days i have really good fun and my shows rock big crowds big hats lots of happy people and then there are days, like today where i can only get glimpses of that free and funny energy i had yesterday.

I feel weather day of the week and season have something to do with it.
but i find if i perform more than three days in a row i start to get really wierded out and cant seem to hit the vibe any more.
anyone have the same experience?
any suggestions?

a few questions here just thought it might provoke an interesting discussion

blake
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-00, 01:24 PM   #2
checkerhead

Send a message via AIM to checkerhead
I think you nailed it when you said "Some Days I have really good fun"

It's the amount of fun that you're having that often translates into the amount of fun your audience will have with your show... The more fun you are having...the more fun the crowd will have with your show.

As with many things in life, a show is based on a relationship. The relationship you develop with the audience. The more the members of your audience enjoy this relationship, the more they'll be willing to participate in the show, and potentially the more they'll end up paying at the end of the show.

How to make things consistant?

Well...

Figure out ways of making it fun for yourself every time you do it, and really enjoy the moments of fun you've created for yourself... A joke may not be funny, but if it's funny to you, if you're having fun, the audience will forgive even the stupidest trick, joke or stunt if they're having fun with the person who is doing it.

If you aren't having fun, you shouldn't be doing it...
checkerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-00, 02:08 PM   #3
StrongEntertainment

Blake,

Good question. The best I can offer is to pace yourself. Conserve energy early in the day for later shows. Eat well, drink plenty of water, and make sure you are getting enough sleep. If your body and mind are not at 100%, then your show will suffer. With a lot of experience and confidence in your material, you can "SHOW" energy with out exerting all of it. When it stops being fun, take a break and/or change something in your show.

------------------
Robert Strong
www.StrongEntertainment.com
Old 12-24-00, 05:04 PM   #4
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Butterfly

I agree with Robert. I find if I eat protein for breakfast and extreme carbs before performing I'm more on. Also, try to set a sleep routine (getting up at the same time every day no matter what time you get up). When I wake up I like to spend the first little bit alone just thinking to my self. If I wake up and joke with myself about stuff I get more confident. If I interact with other people I usually find out about how funny I'm not. I don't really like to talk to other performers much until I get one show off. If I'm doing shows and suck I just need to think about what I'm thinking about. Sometimes I just stop small crowds and do silly things like throw something up in the air and try to catch it on my head. People seem to like pain.

------------------
The Lonnie Anderson of juggling,
Scot Nery
Old 12-28-00, 03:24 AM   #5
Blake

Stop

thanks to all who responded
some good thoughts
and usefull info.
I find one of the hardest things is the "warm up"
when doing gigs and shows that aren't busking in nature and i have time to warm up properly i dont find these things so much of a problem
i have noticed that not many performers seem to warm up on the street.
meery holidays to all
blake

[This message has been edited by Blake (edited 12-28-2000).]
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-01, 12:00 PM   #6
seanbridgesbikeboy

Dear blake,
What you upto dude.Just read your articule on warming up ive been performing for ages and have a very physical show and have never warmed up.Know that i am thirty one i am finding that i have to warm up or i get some serious pains in my legs back and arms during my performances.I think that warming up is very important as you get older.Good luck to you lots love sean hope your show is going off the last time i saw you you were in adelaide. Where are you at the moment lots love respect sean bridges bike boy .