performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 07-12-05, 12:03 PM   #1
phoebethegreat

Send a message via AIM to phoebethegreat
Default When fratboys start flirting with us?

Hello, my name is Phoebe. A few times, my friend Morgan and I have been practicing some dance/contortion/handbalancing/partner work outside because we plan on putting on a street show for Providece, Rhode Island's waterfire event (www.waterfire.com) just to test out the area.
We always seem to get these persistant guys coming to bother and flirt with us. But it's not the same as regular street performing because these people are intending to be nice so we can't really tell them to go away without seeming like ultimate bitches. Maybe we won't have so much trouble with this when we actually start performing because then we won't seem as interruptable, but I am also worried that when we try to perform these sorts of people will come up and say something like "woah that's hot" and try to make a conversation out of it in the middle of our performance.

Does anyone else have this problem? It does seem like the majority of people here are male and more hold more verbally oriented performances.
We're doing stuff like this:

(I am the one in the chest stand on the bottom, Morgan is the one handbalancing on my elbows)

Any suggestions for a street performance dance/contortion duo act?

Thanks!
-Phoebe
phoebethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 01:57 PM   #2
pablo

Default Use them, abuse them, toss them aside!

When fratboys or anyone else interrups your act to flirt or heckle... Use it! Audience participation is often the best part of any act because it engages & involves the crowd. Be prepared with verbal or physical humor, and don't be afraid to just improvise with a volunteer - and you can consider anyone who interrups your act a volunteer. Use them for your purposes, not theirs. Remember that your show is your show; don't let a fratboy or anyone else hijack it.

I still remember meeting in Chicago the two very attractive, talented & flexible babes known as High Strung from Canada, who I think are also members of this board. I refer to them as "babes" for their physical attributes, but both are smart & articulate performers who know how to work a crowd and involve their audience. And the most attractive thing about them was the look in their eyes: no fear.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 02:04 PM   #3
phoebethegreat

That wouldn't really be possible if it were one of those do-stuff-on-the-side sort of shows, so we'd have to kind of rally people you think? I would be very interested to learn from these women from High Strung how they do their street shows.
Old 07-12-05, 03:50 PM   #4
martin ewen

Lurk

a major differences between rehearsal and performance is that in rehearsal you are focusing in and a show your focusing out. A show has far more set parameters (eg music, set stage-even on street-, pre constructed audience)
With rehearsal there's none of these things to inhibit people engaging you. You can tell them to leave you alone but you're right it seems a bit harsh in a public place to be doing curious things and not allow people to engage somehow.
Focusing in invites people without any of the structures to allow them to give you space.
You obviously need to concentrate in your act, perhaps rehearsing in publics not the best way to allow that.
Looks good what you do though.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 07:13 PM   #5
UCO

I would say if you are embarking on the street to do a duo contortion act with two girls, This is going to happen alot.
What is the first thing that people ask you when you say contortion?
I know this because I am with ya. Contortion is a high pysicaly demanding thing and most people have a look of ahh or disgust, I have found both ways to work when dealing with assholes.
Street shows you have to demand the attention of the public, I once heard something about heckelers
"It is either you or them and it can't be you"
Like Pablo said use it. and use the fact that you are two girls doing the sexy flexy.
Your photo looks good and the people will stop,
Frat boys are the lowest demominator of human existance, with beer and girls they change into single cells. just ingore their remarks. Or be such a bitch to them and overly sweet to the rest of the crowd. Good luck.
Old 07-13-05, 02:47 AM   #6
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot

Frat boys often say the same things. So, after every encounter, talk to each other and figure out how to respond in a surprising way.

Use them for your purposes, not theirs.

"well, you've got to have a lot of energy to share the bed with two girls. Do you have that? Let's see, run to the store and get us some bottled water."

"Oh, you like girls? We were just talking about how cute the gay guys were. Why do you all hang out together? Oh, a frat? that's so sexy. Go away."

"Do you want to get away from here to somewhere more private? Be my guest."

"You guys are hitting on us. Great. I need you to move right over here. Stand there and more people will show up."

talk to each other and not to the pursuers. You can talk about the boys out loud "do you smell that? That cologne smells like my uncle.", but don't talk to them.

Surprise them, and if you can make clear your own motivation, most likely, they'll try not to interfere with your goals, because that would make it harder to get in your pants.

Confidence and intensity is also a major turn off for most of these guys.

Also, stop being so hot.
Old 07-13-05, 09:05 AM   #7
Mr.Taxi Trix

I have this problem quite often, though I never practice in public, or in private. What I generally try to do is to get the guys' phone numbers, and then date them. It's sort of an extended reverse-psychology invisible marathon work ethic, and it's probably not for everyone.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-05, 09:09 AM   #8
phoebethegreat

Thanks everyone! These are some great ideas. I especially like the suggestion of just telling the fratboys to stand to the side to get more people interested.