performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 08-18-05, 07:12 AM   #1
Niels Duinker

Default Valentino Bihorac

I just finished this with Valentino
www.valentinobihora.com
What do you think about it?
Niels
Old 08-18-05, 07:12 AM   #2
Niels Duinker

www.valentinobihorac.com
Old 08-18-05, 08:20 AM   #3
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

I would say it's a pretty sick video, but what would I know. I'm just some hack juggler.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-05, 10:37 AM   #4
Steven Ragatz

Very, very hard juggling. Presumptuously trite promo. No "act". Lots of testosterone. Nice hair.

Steven Ragatz
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-05, 12:55 PM   #5
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot

If you have more video footage, I would definately recomend trying again.

Half the video is words that don't really mean anything. And that don't apply to the action.

I would like to see a part of a routine, some transitions, and at least, complete style / pose / bow at the end. Make all the cuts longer. Every time you cut, the viewer's brain has to figure out what the picture means. I'm sure to non-jugglers, it's pretty confusing.

You probably don't have footage of it, but it would be really nice to see how the audience likes it.

The colors are really weird. Every cut, his face is a different color. My suggestion is to make one shot have a natural color (like the far away ring shot) then, put a color on each of the others (like blue, green, red). But limit it to like 4 colors and try to get each green shot to match up with the last green shot. Or, you could make the whole thing black and white.

The size changes alot also, if you can find footage that has consistent framing, you can cut that up and it will be easier to watch.

He moves all over the place and you're constantly cutting from a moving camera to a still camera. You could cut when the camera is still every time, you could put all the moving camera shots side by side, or you could use Adobe After Effects' image stabilizer to make most of your shots steady. Moving camera symbolizes lowered status, weakness, and confusion. Having a little bit of controlled movement is nice.

and, I agree with Ragatz.

Last edited by scot; 08-18-05 at 12:59 PM.
scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-05, 01:05 PM   #6
Niels Duinker

Thanks for the advice!!
I will pass it on to Valentino. At home I have the full promo dvd that Valentino send to agencies and other people who have interest in his show.
The video exist of a trailer of the show and the full 10 minutes routine (with audience interaction, applause at the end, chancing prop etc.)
I will pass this website on to Valentino and we will work on it. Thanks
Niels
Old 08-18-05, 07:43 PM   #7
Steven Ragatz

Hey, my reply was under the (false?) assumption that the video clip you pointed to was published to the net just for jugglers. If it is an earnest attempt to get booked, then yes, a different format would probably be in order. More "show" and less "trick".

BTW: I was just trying to be cute-n-fluffy. He obviously has great licks and a showman style. I just found the clip to be over the top for a see-what-I-can-do video clip from a juggler to another juggler. I'd be happy to help if you are trying to put together a promotional effort.

Steven Ragatz
Old 08-21-05, 02:25 AM   #8
le pire

ok, this vid made me laugh out loud with how absolute stupid it is. The music make me think this guy is going to take the One Ring into Mordor or something, but no... he's going to freaking juggle.

The music is so over the top, and the titles are so cheap-ass-I-really-don't-know-how-to-edit-or-create-titles looking.

then we are told "a new generation of juggler has arrived" while the choir chants, like the messiah has come back. Give me a break.

On the website he says "Latino Juggler," but aside from the shirt unbuttoned to the naval, I really didn't notice anything particularly Latino.

etienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-05, 04:44 AM   #9
Spike McGuire

Send a message via AIM to Spike McGuire

It doesn't say much about Valentino other than the fact that he can juggle, and by that I mean, if I wear watching as an entertainment buyer, there isn't anything that is going to make him stick out in my mind.

Also, the line "a new generation of juggler has arrived" doesn't mean a lot because nothing in the video backs it up.

And this is random, I know, but why does the "Latino juggling show" have a German based e-mail?

The other thing to keep in mind is that it is your act and your video, so you can do what you want with these comments (Scott Nery told me that once)

Rock on,

-----Spike

*Side note*

Etienne, consider constructive criticism, diplomacy, and never making another referance to "lord of the rings" for the rest of your life.
Old 08-21-05, 12:58 PM   #10
scot

Scot

chuckle @ side note
Old 08-22-05, 09:13 AM   #11
zoobie
www.BuskerAlley.com

Hi Niels

First off, try not to put mpeg's on the internet. Although high quality, they're just too huge and bulky like .wav's.

Secondly, as soon as the user sees 16mb, they back out unless they have an hour to spare or have broadband (only 13% of Americans). Even if they download a 16mb mpeg, it's only one minute worth of video.

Thirdly, use the .wmv (Windows) or .mov (Mac) format as the video is handled very well and these are made for the internet. Try to keep the video down to under 10mb which is around 4-5 minutes of video give or take. This format gives excellent quality.

Fourthly, you're a great juggler.

Fifthly, take a look at yourself in a 1.92mb video here.

The quality would have been better but I had to convert your mpeg to avi first to quickly split the scenes. Normally, this isn't done as each conversion can drop information.

What do you think?
zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-05, 11:39 AM   #12
scot

Neils, Don't listen to him. it's projected by the FCC that 70% of American at-home users will have broadband by the end of the year. That doesn't include the business users. MPEGs are fine.

Zoobie, your video doesn't work right and your server's slow.
Old 08-22-05, 12:54 PM   #13
Niels Duinker

Thanks all for your help.
Zoombie you nicely re-edited my videos, and the quality is much better for a 2 mb video than i aspected.
The mpeg format is great, I like it very much.

I am working on a new nielsduinker.com right now, I made some nice pictures during Sail2005 in Amsterdam. I am now working on that it looks nice.
Old 08-22-05, 04:11 PM   #14
zoobie
www.BuskerAlley.com

Niels - You're welcome. We're featuring it at Busker Central in the video gallery. If you're sold on mpeg's, the least you can do is provide your visitors with an option of downloading your video at either broadband speed (your mpeg's) or dial-up (.wmv's). This way, everybody is happy.

Scot - I think those numbers are wishful thinking by the industry. According to the official stats here, it says 13%. Businesses in the USA probably figure the extra $40 a month increases productivity so it throws the numbers way off. No matter...You can make an option for your visitors like I mentioned above...or not.

Now for the rest of the world...

PS - The server's probably busy with people downloading videos to the tune of over 100mb a day. I can also make a .wmv look as good as a .mpeg at a fraction of the size. This saves me lots of space and bandwidth.

Last edited by zoobie; 08-22-05 at 11:05 PM.
zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-05, 02:39 AM   #15
le pire

my philosophy-

if a potential client cannot spend $40 per month on broadband, what are the chances they'll spend $1000+ on a juggler.

Just a thought.

etienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-05, 04:14 AM   #16
worldwidese

Default Now I'm really confused !

So break it to me gently- what format is best and how do I put some video into a website?
Old 08-23-05, 04:24 AM   #17
Niels Duinker

What Team Rootberry taught me is

- used different format (.mov and .mpg they use, .wmv is ok as well) so that the people can what format they want to see, depending on the video player installed on their computer.
- used different quality/size that people can choose depending on how fast their internet is.

check out how
www.rootberry.com
www.juggleshow.com
www.passingzone.com

did it.
Old 08-23-05, 09:37 AM   #18
Stretch

>my philosophy-

if a potential client cannot spend $40 per month on broadband, what are the chances they'll spend $1000+ on a juggler.

Just a thought.

etienne<

You would be surprised. I was. One of my best repeat gigs is in a tiny town in the hinterlands. Often I am contacted by volunteers operating out of their homes. Sometimes they don't even have the internet, but they are willing to pay for entertainment.

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-05, 12:08 PM   #19
scot

See zoobie, you're giving the stats for total Americans. I'm giving the stats for american internet users. There are lots of people who don't use the internet. According to my math, that's around 81% of total Americans that wouldn't be able to see your wmv.

Your argument can also be stated as, "putting such a large video online makes it difficult for people to view it with slow and no internet."

I somehow agree with etienne on this.

The Kill Bill Soundtrack makes anything look cool.

Last edited by scot; 08-23-05 at 12:18 PM.
scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-05, 03:15 PM   #20
Steven Ragatz

Scott wrote:

Quote:
There are lots of people who don't use the internet. According to my math, that's around 81% of total Americans that wouldn't be able to see your wmv.
That may be true, but if you land a gig with .001% of the 19% of Americans that CAN view the media, you will be working more than anyone else on this forum.

Bottom line? Be flexible.

Steven Ragatz