performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 11-22-05, 05:41 PM   #1
Magic Mickey

Hat Web Site

Hi all,

I just changed my entire web site. www.magicmickey.com I would love if you could let me know what you think or how to make it better. Thanks alot.

-Mickey
Magic Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-05, 06:32 PM   #2
Doctor Eric

Buy or steal Photoshop and Illustrator.

Take the excited star border off of "Magic Mickey" and make your name that much bigger

Redo all of your graphics using a better piece of software, nothing is anti-aliased and it looks like total crap, especially the text in your left hand links.

Speaking of said text, I wouldn't use Impact. Maybe arial or Trebuchet

Speaking of said links, if you made the bubbles black instead of purple, the color scheme might start to make sense.

Although I like the props across the top visually (and in my opinion they are the strongest part of the design) they make you look more like a toy store than a magician.

Your pictures blow, they're grainy, and alot of them are GIFs, which makes them look even worse. Redo them as JPGs, and if you can't get them higher resolution, shrink them down. Also, try to get better pictures, alot of them are unclear and/or unattractive.

White titles on a yellow background hurts my eyes and makes me angry at you. Did you know that during the '50s when it became in vogue to paint your kitchen yellow, domestic violence ocurrences IN THE KITCHEN went through the roof?

Stop using GIFs, and your dithering priveledges are hereby revoked.

Will someone please remind me to stop viewing the source code on these sites? I want to cry now. Do you know anything about HTML? Do they offer a class at your school? Tou could do a much better job if you did it by hand. That, and I just realized I got suckered into critiquing a premade template. Joke's on me.

With that in mind, here is my new critique.

Do a better job on the pictures

I'm not sure how I feel about your logo

Use dreamweaver, it makes cleaner code, and it's easier to actually learn HTML from it.

Is that Nosferatu's lovechild back there in the yellow shirt?

!?www.ericcash.com?!

Last edited by Doctor Eric; 11-22-05 at 06:34 PM.
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 05:48 PM   #3
thayr

Send a message via AIM to thayr

We live in a media driven society, where are the videos?
thayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 06:18 PM   #4
Magic Mickey

[quote]Originally posted by Doctor Eric
[b]I just realized I got suckered into critiquing a premade template. Joke's on me.

It's not a premade template! I made it on publisher with a blank document. Oh, well. Thanks for the imput. I will try to re-make it on Dreamweaver. I have that program but am very unsure of how exactly to use it. Thanks any way for the help.

Mickey
Old 11-23-05, 06:34 PM   #5
Doctor Eric

There's a way in dreamweaver to view the code and the page at the same time, I can't remember how to do it because I haven't used Dreamweaver in years, but it's a real good way to learn, and when the code starts to get over-complicated you can go in and clean it up.

Also check out w3schools.com for clear cut HTML reference and maybe A List Apart.com for interesting ideas and reading.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 06:52 PM   #6
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Eric
There's a way in dreamweaver to view the code and the page at the same time, I can't remember how to do it because I haven't used Dreamweaver in years, but it's a real good way to learn, and when the code starts to get over-complicated you can go in and clean it up.
On the toolbar in the window for your work area, select the "Spilt" button.

Dreamweaver is completely non-intuative; the learning curve is long, but worth it. It's a good program.

Another good way to learn code and design is to find a webpage you like and copy the code ("View" > "Source") to Dreamweaver and play with it.

Good luck.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 08:35 PM   #7
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot

before you deal with the code -- if it works on everyone's computer -- you should look at the design.

White text on black will not help you. You should use black text on light purple or dark purple on white. You are a kids entertainer. It should look happy.

do all the stuff that eric said in his first post.

I liked the props at the top, but they are all boring photos and taken seperately. They look like a catalogue. If you can get someone to take a photo of you with your props, go for it. Otherwise, replace those props with a picture or pictures of you.

check the first sentence on the "juggler" page

No matter how good the website is, it probably won't get you much work.

You're doing great. The most important method for you to get work is word of mouth. Make sure that everyone you do a show for writes you a recommendation letter and give them a few of your business cards before or after the show.

Keep working on your performances. get on stage / street as much as you can before you graduate. Watch plays, comedians, whatever ; so that you can figure out for yourself what makes a good performer.

Good luck.
Old 11-23-05, 09:42 PM   #8
martin ewen

Lurk Hey mickey your so fine

Its a big job, if you have a lot of time to make mistakes and want to learn how to make websites simply to put one of your own up then really you've just begun.
You need content, pics, copy, and a sort of a sense of what ideally a really great website for you would look like.
check these their free
http://www.oswd.org/
There are also more shiny wizpop sites for under $100
this is just one of many sites that have them.
http://www.best-templates.com/flash_templates.html

Its a big deal to finish one of your first attempts and its a bummer when far more polished webmonkeys advise you to basicly tear it down and start from scratch.
Its a marketing tool, look at people who are where you want to be and study their sites.
I admire people who pop their sites on here and ask for critique. (But then I also admire drunk people who wander onto motorways)

I like this guys approach
http://www.billyharvey.com/
done by these people
http://www.sofake.com/
who also made this
http://www.mailorderchickens.org/
must stop...must st...

Last edited by martin ewen; 11-23-05 at 10:07 PM.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 11:50 PM   #9
Magic Mickey

Thank you all for the critique. I really apericate all the help. I will work on re-desining my web site. As it is my main marketing tool (besides word of mouth and business cards) I am really gratful for the words of advice. Thanks so much.

Mickey
Old 11-24-05, 03:58 AM   #10
Aaron Gregg

For me a big issue is the spelling. You have numerous errors on your website that could easily be corrected by a bit of proofreading. Poor writing is very unprofessional and should be cleaned up.
Old 11-24-05, 04:12 AM   #11
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Club

If I was working really hard to get gigs, I didn't want to pay more than $100 for promo, I would search magazines for images that represent who I am as a performer. Take these images to a college film department.

Tell them that you would like to work on a really fun project that is open to their creativity. take them out for pizza.

Set up a show that represents the work you're trying to get. have the college students shoot your show with as many cameras (of any quality) that you can get ahold of. make sure you get tons of close ups of you and shots of the audience reacting. buy the students chinese food.

Say hey, "I'm looking for a 5 minute reel that has a 30second eye catching beginning, has this kind of feel, and says this or that. Do you guys think you can edit this in a week and a half?" Give em music that you like and some money for snacks / beer.

Set up a screening with a few of their friends, some of your friends and buy them some food.
you need a biggish tv, a room with chairs. should be able to find this for free at a library, or on campus or something. Get them excited about it and make sure you set a specific date for the screening. This means you'll get it done on time.

now, your video's done you have completed your most difficult promo for the next three years. You put that on a one page site that has a big photo of you, the video and a few comments from people who like you.

most people give too much info on their sites, they make ugly and confusing things which just lead to bad impressions. You make yours simple, quick and fun and you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of 99 % of variety artist sites.