performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > RESOURCES/EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL

Old 12-20-05, 03:05 PM   #1
ianwatkins69

Send a message via Yahoo to ianwatkins69
Default Suspension Piercings

Hey im ian watkins new to the forum sent here by a friend to find out from those who may teach(even over the net) about suspension piercings i was wondering if anyone has any info on the how's why's and procedures of suspension piercing i do want to try it but i want to know as much as i can b4 i do it .... once i do know enuf and try it i am thinking i may do it as more than just entertaining others.... i have always been interested in trying it.... and i hope there is someone or more than one person would be preferrable ..... best wishes to all and i hope for a reply
ianwatkins69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 04:40 PM   #2
Stephon
Handonmy Member

There are many people here (Magic Cafe--Believe It or Not forum) who can give you the information that you really need.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 04:44 PM   #3
ianwatkins69

ty for the info magic cafe is on this forum? just double checking
Old 12-20-05, 10:32 PM   #4
Stephon
Handonmy Member

No, completely seperate. But the Believe It or Not section is all sideshow performers, including some very respected and knowledgable people.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-05, 02:06 PM   #5
ianwatkins69

Default ty

ty for the help i appreciate it i can't get on magic cafe but i have a friend who sent me here to look for help and she has an account there.... i certainly appreciate every little bit of help i get and if in turn i can do you a favor just let me know ill do my best
Old 08-16-06, 02:02 PM   #6
Nymphetamine

Suspension is not something you can learn on-line.

You can kill, maim, disfigure, scar, emotionally shatter and cause serious bodily harm to a person if you don't know what you're doing.

That's why there aren't many of us who do it.

That's why we train, take courses, make sure we know what we're doing first.

Anyone who is willing to teach this on-line is an accident waiting to happen. Run.

I've been doing suspensions for 2 years. It took me almost a year to learn how to do it properly. I already had medic training, blood-borne pathogens courses, knew how to create a sterile field, etc BEFORE I ever threw a hook.

Good place to start, if you really want to learn: Take advanced first aid and CPR through the Red Cross or other accredited group. Take a blood-borne pathogens course. Take an anatomy course.
Then, and only then, approach a suspension group and ask to learn.

Oh yeah, it may help to actually do a suspension first. See if you like it/can handle it. It's intense, and it's not for everyone.
Nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-06, 06:53 PM   #7
Stretch

Default "why" ? that um, I'm just guessing . . .

"Why
you asked? just guessing that there
isn't that much to do in Grande Prairie?

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-06, 07:03 PM   #8
malkav powermann

every thing Nymphetamine
said is true and great advice ...

this was some thing that Slim Price once replied to some one who asked a very similar question on an Internet message board
the question he was responding to was more regarding learning several acts over all not just suspension ....his words are however most apt
slim passed on not to long ago i never had the chance to meet him and i re-post his words now with the highest reverence

Quote:
Beginning Sideshow Arts
I sometimes get mail asking about how to start learning sideshow arts. This is my answer,
First you need to analyze your self, and your reasons. If you want to learn to impress the guys at the bar, or your frat buddies, or to get girls, forget it! By and large, the acts are dirty, invoke some pain, take years to learn properly and you will find that “normal” people will look at you as something less than normal. The acts will probably cause you medical problems later in life, or immediately. It isn’t like magic at all, the damage you do to yourself can last for years. I often think that in our current media society, people think an accident (there will be some) goes away at the end of the clip, or movie… This is not true. An accident can take weeks or months to recover from, and can even cause you permanent disfigurement… The best (only) way to learn is with a pro teacher who has lived this life. I don’t mean the kid at 7/11 who sucks fire from a Bic. I mean a working professional. Learning from a book is the worst way to get this knowledge. I think I have read most of the books on the subject, and I am often appalled by errors, missed points, plain lies and oversights, all of which can bite you! Even when you know it all, a pro can see a lot of things you will miss, and might save you a lot of damage to yourself or others. Slim’s notes are overwritten to prevent as much of this as possible, but sometimes surprising interpretations slip in. I remember writing several additions to a note to clarify putting a Band-aid over a thumbtack...
Most of the people who chose to start learning sideshow acts are young, impressionable, frequently misfits, and are looking to make some kind of mark. “See what I can do!” This is understandable, but the fact is that there are a lot of better, easier, cleaner, and more profitable ways to make a living. Working at McDonald’s will earn you more, and you won’t spend most of your time looking for the next gig. Even the best performers have dry spells.
Although most of the acts however, dangerous, are simple, few initiates realize the need for learning to be an entertainer. This is really what separates the tyros from the pros in every field, not just sideshow work. Theater skills are what will make the money and work for you. If you are still in school take advantage of your theatrical options, acting, stagecraft, voice, costume, scripting, learn anything and anything you can. If you are a “civilian,” do the same. It’s an investment sure to pay off…
Don’t try to learn everything at once...There are dozens of nuances in any single act that can only be learned by exploration. Mastering one act and doing it well, (and adding your own persona) will always serve you better than “shotgunning” several badly done stunts. When you begin working a sideshow act, the first thing you will want to do is ‘push the envelope.” This, more than anything else will get you in trouble… Give your art a little time to nurture, until you really understand it… Above all, learn from a pro mentor.
malkav powermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 10:15 AM   #9
Nymphetamine

wander on over to my website for some great pics, and an interesting discussion on suspensions going on in the forums. We get asked about them more than anything else. There's a good thread going on right now about the psychological impact of suspension.

I love performing suspensions for a show. Nothing gets the same audience reaction. But at the same time, it does give people the impression that it is 'safe' because we're up there having a great time. That's the performance part of it (and we do have a great time!). But there's a lot of work that goes into it, both in the physical, preperation department and in the mental preperation department. I'm always happy to talk about it (it's such a huge part of my life, and one of the best parts), but I won't tell anyone how to do it or put them at risk. If they want to do it, they're more than welcome to stop by my studio for a consultation. (not a guarentee that we'll hang them, but a good first step)

http://www.nightfallentertainment.com
Old 09-06-06, 02:37 AM   #10
ianwatkins69

Default suspension advice

ty nymphetamine for such open and honest advice i appreciate it.... but i wasn't about to go buy fish hooks and jab them in to see if i could hang myself from the ceiling lol .... i was mainly just hoping i could learn of a pro who could show me the ropes/ take me under his/her arm figuratively speaking ... if it takes moving to find that person then i would do so .... at any rate the courses on cpr and anatomy etc will be helpful until i can get a pro to help... i look forward to the continued conversation about this art
Old 09-07-06, 07:32 AM   #11
Nymphetamine

No problems (but re-read your first post - it sounded very much like you were going to do just that). Now that I notice you're from Alberta, there is a suspension group in BC....Don't remember the name right now, but if you search for suspension communities on Live Journal, they're there. Also check out BMEzine.com for pics and experiences

If you do have any questions, feel free to e-mail!

Old 09-07-06, 11:25 AM   #12
AmberLynn

there are some groops in Alberta .
I can give you some info of 1 or 2 groop thay are in Edmonton
shoot me an E-mail info@insane-entertainment.com

Nymphetamine Who are you ?

website link dose not work!
AmberLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 02:21 PM   #13
Dan Tastik

Send a message via ICQ to Dan Tastik

amber - there is a typo in her website info.
if you cut and paste the one in the signature it will work.

Nymphetamine - there's a typo in your website info.
Old 09-07-06, 06:02 PM   #14
AmberLynn

Thank you Dan!
How Are you?
Old 09-07-06, 09:35 PM   #15
Nymphetamine

oops.....

must remember to proof read.....

Real name is Jen, Work with/founded Technological Regression formerly based out of Peterborough Ont, now based out of Toronto.

Also my website was down today, because someone forgot to log the payment to re-new my domain. Everything should be up and running now.....

Old 09-09-06, 02:01 AM   #16
ianwatkins69

Default re kool

well im not so much as unimaginative as i am straightforward .... my real name is ian watkins and im a supervisor at a gas station in grande prairie alberta .. ( tho i have a lot of jobs due to the fact i tend to get bored easily lol) im 29.....(a male lol) i laugh out loud a lot as wl .. i love writing short stories and was working on a sci fi novel but i have little time anymore so its been shelved for a while ....anyway if u want to give me a shout on yahoo that would be kool ... the id should be in my profile ..... if not well just shout to me here lol
Old 09-09-06, 02:11 AM   #17
ianwatkins69

Default oops ..... been a while since i have been able to pay attention...lol

sorry i guess i might have changed my view on the matter ... as for email ... anyone who would like to talk thru email please send one to ian_watkins69@yahoo.com ... i hate outlook express ... lol maybe its a fear/ hate born out of ignorance but hey ... i just find yahoo email straightforward( my word of the day) < mind wanders for half hour then snaps back to the subject at hand> .... anyways ty for all the great info and awesome comments .... and ya there aint much ado about grande prairie ... get drunk high golf .......work ... and some other stuff that im not interested in.... lol ttfn