performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > CONTACT PEOPLE / ANNOUNCEMENTS / HOUSING > HOUSING

Old 12-31-05, 08:18 AM   #1
Rachel Peters

Canada Montreal Hostels

Yo, Peeps!
hi.
I'm looking up hostels in Montreal right now. I'll be working in Montreal for three months, and I really don't want to stay in, like, a room in someone's house -- I'm looking forward to being absolutely alone for a while -- so I figured a hostel might be my best option.

Anybody have recommendations for a decent combination of nice/cheap?

And remember --> small, girl. A somewhat "safe" location is something I take into account. ...I mean secluded, dark alleys, probably won't be good for me. ...I do have pretty sweet biceps for a chick, but still no match for a scary man in a dark alley.
I'll keep looking up stuff on the net too.

Rach
Rachel Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-06, 11:11 AM   #2
zoobie
www.BuskerAlley.com

If you're looking to be alone, a hostel is about the last place you'll find it. Some now have age restrictions so I hope you're under age 26.
Old 01-01-06, 11:23 AM   #3
Rachel Peters

hmmmm. it looks like (for that short of a time period) it'd either be a hostel, a room in a home, or a pile of roommates. ...I figured at a hostel they at least wouldn't expect me to be a "part of the family" or make me try to be TOO social. I'm exactly 26. so, yay.
Old 01-02-06, 10:41 PM   #4
Rachel Peters

actually, i think you're right, zooooob. i had a bit of a misconception of what a hostel was like (obviously never stayed in one). i think i'm just gettin' me a nice, sleezy motel room somewhere.
Old 01-03-06, 04:11 AM   #5
UCO

The folks in montreal kick ass and will leave you be if you just tell them. Are you agoraphobic? I live there in the summer email me sometime and I will try to hook you up I have just the place.
Old 01-03-06, 09:50 AM   #6
Rachel Peters

Default I aint afraid of no spiders! :P

ha. no. I don't think so. ...although the wide open plains of Saskatchewan do sort of creep me out sometimes.
For the last year or so I've had a bit of a bad attitude ("bad" for me) and have been craving solitude to grow some more energy. I was hoping this short job would be the perfect opportunity. I just want to wisely avoid putting msyelf in living situations where I'll end up being a jerk to someone. I'm nice. I want to stay that way.
But, for my price range, I may have to compromise... i mean, compomise the solitude. Not the niceness.
Will e-mail.
-rp
Old 01-14-06, 07:36 PM   #7
le pire

I've stayed several times at the IYH hostel in Montreal it is in a pretty safe area (although parking is a pain in the ass) and you can get a single room too. There is a nice common area (with internet & kitchen and all that) and if you want to be social, you can, and if you want to just hole yourself up in your room you can. They really don't care about age... especially now because it is the dead season and there will not be a lot of people staying there.

Motels (especially the sleezy Quebec variety) can get very lonely and creepy. You won't have a kitchen in a motel, and eating out every night might be fun at first, but it soon becomes tedious-- especially in the WINTER in Montreal. You've just finished a hard days work, you come "home" and it is FREEEEEEZING out and then you have to go back out into the cold for dinner and then go back out into the cold again to get "home."

I recommend you try the hostel, and if you don't like it then you can always switch to the motel.

Sometime hostels limit you to how many nights you can stay, but again, this is the dead season and the place is usually 2/3 empty so they will more than likely overlook this rule as well.

etienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 05:12 PM   #8
Rachel Peters

thanks, etienne.
I might have found a place with another animator, but if that option goes under, I'll be looking into this place.
I agree. A motel would feel like an adventure for about 2 hours... and then I'd be sleeping with a baseball bat and stocking up on cans of beans.
Thanks.
-rp