performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > CONTACT PEOPLE / ANNOUNCEMENTS / HOUSING > HOUSING

Old 01-25-06, 02:45 PM   #1
Nik Goodrich

Question Best place to live for stage performing.

I live in Flint, Michigan which is devoid of any kind of stage performing there is for a juggler. I was wondering what places I could move to that would have opportunities for a stage performer. I was thinking Vegas or Branson but I'm not that good yet to just move out there and get a stage for ten minutes.
I am a juggler by the way and I do a ten minute variety show and a half-hour comedy show with juggling. What places are there that welcome a stage performer just starting his career? Or should I even move at all? I'm new to performing on a stage for money, most of the time I just do street shows or walkaround.

Nik
Nik Goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 03:45 AM   #2
worldwidese

Default Experience is useful

Nik,
I think you should get stage show experience before you consider moving. Unless you have a nest egg to hold you till you find your way. You can get yourself into desperate circumstances if you try to branch out without money.

For stage show experience at home, call Service Organizations such as Kiwanis, Rotary, Lions etc.

A brochure or CD to send out is important.

Call Libraries, Schools, Festival Organizers. Malls.

Look in the Yellow pages under Entertainment to find Agents in Flint and surrounding areas that you can work without leaving home.

Do birthday or corporate gigs.

When you have a list of venues worked, add them to your brochure or CD, and send out to the places you would like to travel to.

Branson is very hard, as shows are mostly consisting of family members who do the whole show or hire maybe one act.
Old 01-29-06, 03:45 AM   #3
worldwidese

Posted double. Why can't I delete?

Last edited by worldwidese; 01-29-06 at 03:58 AM.
worldwidese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 11:29 AM   #4
pablo

Default On the road again...

I live in Milwaukee Wisconsin, but I very rarely have a gig here in my hometown. I'm constantly in Chicago or another state, and I've found that the farther I travel, the more I can charge.

So I'm on the road a lot, and travel has it's own rewards. My point is that there probably is no "best place" to live for performing, unless you prefer warm weather. And sooner or later, you need to get out of town.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-06, 02:04 AM   #5
Steven Ragatz

Frankly, I think that Flint Michigan sounds pretty good. If there are no other performers doing what you do in the area then you have %100 of the market. If you go to Branson or Vegas you will have to compete with lots of others for the handful of gigs that actually exist in those areas. Your best bet is to create your own venues and then fill them with your own work. Don't be afraid to be a pioneer in your own back yard.

Steven Ragatz
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote